Howabout a little Goat Ecology Lesson?!

Billies have dirty back ends. Check out Buzz's goat pic for a good example. They expecially stand out in snow, looking yellow to brown. With a good spotting scope you can see this feature from several miles. Also a big billy looks big. Look for mass if you want a high score. True 1/2" makes a lot of difference when seperating a good goat from a great goat. And usually the wind is blowing in that country making looking through your scope difficult at times.

I saw a picture of a goat taken by a guy that taught hunter safety. The goat was taken in the Bridgers when they first openned up to hunting. The goat was huge and would have easily made the state record if it had been measured. 11" + horns with about 6 1/2" bases. One look at this picture and there was no doubt it was huge.

I've read all the "billys have this" and "nannies have that", "big ones have this and little ones have that" stuff.. and still, have a hard time buying that there is any easy way about judging them, especially from any farther than a quarter of a mile, even with a Swarovski HD spotting scope. I think the bottom line is you have to get close to really know, and even then you have to take a damn good look at them.

Bridgers do have some tanker goats.. but try drawing a permit there.

WorldRecordBilly.jpg

Looks like that bush is growing a head and a goat cape... :)

Thats a pretty nice danged goat.. :)

Horn Seeker,
Looks like I'm going goat hunting this year too. Drew a tag in a great unit fairly close to home. Will definately be spending some time scouting for a big billy that I've been watching the last few years.

Got drawn for my goat tag as well ..... hopefully get out for a hunt or two for billies.

BCBucks,
I just can't understand why you applied for the unit you did. Geeze, everyone knows there are no goats there. :eek: All I can say it should be BOONE or BUST eh? hump hump Too bad you know nothing about goats. :rolleyes:

lol ........ If I shoot a dink .... at least I can blame it on what I call the Dana-170 syndrome. hump :D

---------

I hope there are still some decent goats still alive in there.......all the good ones may have been shot.........I never hunted the unit before....so it should be interesting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back