How to stick a Mulie

sweetnectar

Seems how I didn't draw a single tag this year I'm considering trying to get a big mule deer via bow and arrow. Has anyone on here done this and was it the usual spot and stock, shoot them in their bed deal or ambush or ????
Perhaps this will keep me occupied so I don't end up hunting those lousy FWP officials that came up with the draw requirements for archery...ya I'm still bitter.

It depends for me as far as the feeding or bedded situation goes. If I have someone giving me hand signals than I prefer while there feeding, since they will be occupied. However, it gets to hard to keep track of them if your doing it solo. Then I prefer bedded since it gives you plenty of time to slip in there.

scan0022-1.jpg

Ambush IMO is pretty deadly on mule deer bucks. Get in front of them when they finish their morning feed. I killed the buck above that way. There were 10 bucks together feeding in a hay field on private land. I watched them for three mornings do the same thing. I made my way around to the public land side of the fence and waited in the timber with a good breeze in my face. This one was the last buck to pass by me at 33 yards. There was a bigger one that went through before I got set up...quite a bit bigger. Bow hunting for really big mule deer is tough!! But a good way to scout for rifle season..

Thats a great deer. I do the spot and stock bit but ambushing them is fun. In the mornings the deer tend to hang out down by the river assuming that the grass down there is greener. I have watched these deer do this for about 5 years now and there are some big cliffs above them and thats where I sit and wait.

Thanks for the input. I'll try getting in front of them for an ambush in the mornings and after that I'll try the spot and stock but if a buck like Breaks Runner comes by I'll poop my pants first then shoot it.

HAHAHAHA!! I bout cried laughing so hard when I read the last part of your post!! If you think it'll help ur chances then go ahead!!

ROFLMAO... I do all the above just depends on the area I'm hunting.. Hunting any deer here in socal is though

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back