MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

how to pack out a deboned elk

On the other side of the coin, they also confirm them.

The other side of the coin is hardly seen and a description of said coin can only be accomplished by a very few.

Lawnboy nailed it. You never hear of the 310 bull that got away. The rules of hunting is as follows.

If you kill it you only add 10 inches
If you shot at it and missed, you add 20-30 inches
If you only caught a glimpse of that big buck/bull you add 40-50"

You can blame yourself, other or what not for this. I just blame utah. Its easier. And nothing gets a utard more pissed than when you call them a utard.

I don't have pictures of what it weighed on the scale, but I came home and weighed both my Elk and Deer pack outs from last year.

The Elk was right at 135, and my partners pack with all of the gear came in close to 90. The deer was a little under 120 and my other partners was about 80. Neither animal was big by any stretch but once on your back they are pretty heavy.

Lets be honest, anything above about 65lbs starts to put the hurt on the body, all the more reason to have a good pack that carries the weight well(Insert never ending debate here...).

I am pretty sure this video targets a lot of the hunting demographic from all over the country, and not just those of us here in the west. Outdoor Life likely got a lot of hits out of this one.

The Elk was right at 135, and my partners pack with all of the gear came in close to 90. The deer was a little under 120 and my other partners was about 80. Neither animal was big by any stretch but once on your back they are pretty heavy.

What kind of distances are you hauling these loads Scott?

I've been thinking of trying out a kifaru pack for next fall hunts. I LOVE my mystery ranch packs but figuring if I'm going to pack 100+ lbs 20 miles or more than I want to cut weight any place I can.

As it happens, I had 95 lbs in a Kifaru ultralight for 7 hours yesterday. The mileage was limited, but doesn't really tell the story in this case.

It wasn't quite as cushy as my MR stuff, but it's also under 3lbs. It fits differently than the MR does, how you're built will probably determine which carries better for you. The MR carries better for me, but 7+ extra lbs for my 6500 over the UL is a lot of penalty up front.

The deer was just a little bit over 5 miles. That one hurt for a few days.

The Elk was about 2.5 and only had one hill to speak of.

PM Inbound Ernesto.

Putting that meat in that pack was probably like putting pantyhose on a fat chick. It might take awhile, but it can be done!

It can fit, but it's not comfortable. With the elk it needed to get out quick, the day started off cool but warmed up quick.

I've been able to use my new scale on one elk pack job so far. Some things were heavier than I imagined, some lighter.

P1010680.jpg

Last edited:
I've been able to use my new scale on one elk pack job so far. Some things were heavier than I imagined, some lighter.

P1010680.jpg

Those co bulls must be smaller then those ut bulls. Saw a post where they did 4you trips with 100 lb loads in their badlands packs...

P1010680.jpg

Is that whole quarters, or boned out?

I measured the quarters w/ skin off the nice bull I got last year at 60 front and 80 rear. My scale wasn't as fancy though, just held them while standing on a bathroom scale.

Boned and just a little different sized bull as well........................

I have not had a chance to weigh actual bones yet, but I'm guessing up to 15 lbs for leg bones.

100 lb packs are ball busters and I personally have never had one that heavy yet. I know guys that do but they eat raw meat and hate dancing as well.[/QUOTE]

isn't that the truth, i'm not man enough!!

When I was still young and stupid, I carried numerous heavy loads of elk meat out of the mountains. The heaviest pack I ever had, I weighed and it was right at 110 pounds. I swore that I would never haul one like that again. I think my left hip is paying for all those years of foolishness.

Now it is worth it to make another trip instead of putting it all in one pack.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back