How to mount scope farther back?

1 cm = 10 mm same difference. I'd say that if the rear mount was reversed he'd have about 3/8 inch of extra travel to the rear.
I'd say more like .375", which is about 9.53mm. I'm sticking with 10mm on this one. Maybe the OP can get us a measurement.

Your back ring is on backwards….

That in itself would allow another 1/4-1/2” from what I’m seeing.
FWIW if you go to Leupold's website and check out the ringmounts, every pic shows them oriented the way the OP has them installed. So as long as you can reverse orientation and attach them properly there is no right or wrong way. Also you can ask their CS whether or not maximum distance of the rings from the turret is all that big of a deal. I suspect not, but it can't hurt to ask.

FWIW if you go to Leupold's website and check out the ringmounts, every pic shows them oriented the way the OP has them installed. So as long as you can reverse orientation and attach them properly there is no right or wrong way. Also you can ask their CS whether or not maximum distance of the rings from the turret is all that big of a deal. I suspect not, but it can't hurt to ask.
I just going by what I have done for 30 years because a gunsmith of 60 years told me that's how to do it.

"It's a scope, not a tuning fork..." His words. Not mine. lol

Pretty sure the mounting holes are offset on the rear ring and if it is turned around the ring would extend beyond the receiver and interfere with the bolt. You can see the second mounting hole just back of the ring.

Some of them have the second hole in the ring half itself, but not so with Remingtons so there would be interference with bolt lift as mentioned above. I don't see the attraction of that mounting system. I think a Pic rail would fix your issue. Good luck.

I often push up against the mounting limitations in the same direction and it aint my LOP being too short. I must have a short neck or deep set eyes or somethin..

Pic rail is easiest path but i'm sure you can find different base/rings other than a pic rail that would allow a little more space back.

Thank you everyone for the thoughtful responses. Here's what's been recommended:

- Shorten Stock
- Buy New Stock
- Buy Better Scope w/ More Eye Relief
- Pic Rail with low profile rings
- Flip rear scope ring 180 degrees

More context: She has been using this rifle since she was a kid, but up until 2023 used exclusively iron sights. She loved the gun/setup with the iron sights, but made a 200 yard shot on a whitetail and didn't get a clean kill, so decided she never wanted to be in that situation again. She had to use a leather cheekrest to get her eye lined up with the scope in the first place. She is reluctant to cut the stock.

I tried reversing the rear ring when I initially installed it, and was unable to because of either interference with the bolt and/or the screw holes no longer lined up.

Here is what I'm thinking:

Option 1: Take scope off, put iron sights back on, keep this as a classic, iron-sighted rifle that she can use when relevant and kids can use when they are a bit older. Then buy a new rifle that is better equipped to handle a scope.

Option 2: Pic Rail

Option 3: New Scope

Option 4: Drop it into a new, shorter stock.

I will see what path she wants to proceed down and I'll post the results once a decision has been made. Thank you again.

Personally I put one piece EGW rails on anything that will take them.
Team it up with their Keystone line of rings and you have one solid mounting system!
Plus buy both at the same time and save 10%.

Realistically though, it's putting a bandaid on the issue.

Your wife needs a stock that fits her.
Weman typically need a shorter LOP, with more droop and cast off along with a slimmer grip.

The Boyds AT-ONE stock fits the bill with it's adjustability.
And it's price is affordable.
Plus you can put the factory stock back on if you ever want to.
Once you cut the factory stock, you can't uncut it.

If you decide to listen to the shorter stock crowd do me a favor and don't touch the bdl stock please lol. Get some plastic one to cut on lol

She can't shoot her best unless the stock fits her. This is universal.

I wanted to follow up as promised and let you all know our decision. She's going to shoot it as is (only using 3x power on scope) for this year. Beyond that, our plan would be to put the iron sights back on and keep it a classic - have our kids learn with iron sights. Then, she'll get a new rifle out of the deal that's better equipped for a scope. Thanks Again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back