Caribou Gear Tarp

How to get the smoke smell out of bear hide

jpcoll01

Went to an estate sale today and couldn’t pass up an old bear hide but he stinks…bad. What would be a safe to treat him with to get the smell out? I already cut off the felt and tossed it as it was ruined. Febreeze? Some kind of baking soda mixture in a spray bottle?

Try bagging it up in a plastic bag with an ozone generator of some sort if you can find one. Run a few rounds and air it out in the sun in between. Dry baking soda would help too probably. After it sits a while, blow it out with a leaf blower, then repeat. No idea if it’ll work but it’s worth a try.

Ran out a bought a pack of Lucky Strikes but I’m not the man I was 20 years ago when I quit so taking up smoking again is out of the question. Saw somewhere online to try rubbing alcohol and Avon skin so soft mixture to clean it. Also I’m betting baking soda has to help. My brother in law has an ozone generator thing so might give that a go when I get back to KY. Thanks for the ideas.

I’ve used rubbing alcohol to get cigarette smoke/tar off a few guitars before, and it definitely worked. Can’t say if it’s a good idea on fur or not, though.

Went to an estate sale today and couldn’t pass up an old bear hide but he stinks…bad. What would be a safe to treat him with to get the smell out? I already cut off the felt and tossed it as it was ruined. Febreeze? Some kind of baking soda mixture in a spray bottle?
Is it the fur that stinks? Like cigarette smoke, or cooking odors? Or is the hide (skin) itself like it got wet and is rotting?

Is it the fur that stinks? Like cigarette smoke, or cooking odors? Or is the hide (skin) itself like it got wet and is rotting?
No rot, just smells like my Grandparents house used to, Lucky Strikes and lots of bacon in the cast iron.

Ozone will definitely help, needs to be in a chamber. If you have access to a machine, you could probably clear out a closet and set it up in there. Contact a local Servpro and ask for suggestions. Some sunshine and fresh air will do wonders too.

I think simple solution would be just hang outside where lots of airflow and out of direct sun/rain. Something like a covered patio or entrance way. See if after a week it's gotten any better if not then you can start taking other measures.

Clubbing musicians use dryer sheets in their instrument case to absorb the smoke smell. I've use this trick on instruments I have bought.
Try bagging it with a bunch of dryer sheets.

No rot, just smells like my Grandparents house used to, Lucky Strikes and lots of bacon in the cast iron.
Maybe sprinkle with some baking soda, roll it up hair side together and let it stay in a plastic bag for a couple days. Then shake it out real good. Try it a couple times. Good Luck !!

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back