Yeti GOBOX Collection

How much area

WIbiggame

Hey everyone I have enjoyed spending the last couple weeks reading through all the stories and wealth of knowledge on this forum. I am happy to say that my dream of an elk hunt is really starting to take shape. Applying for general Montana elk this year (have heard 100% draw success so getting excited) Myself my dad, brother and family friend are going to DIY public land archery.

My question is how much area would you say is needed to have a good chance of hunting with 4 guys (groups of 2 going in separate directions)? I am from WI and am used to whitetail hunting so the vast expanses of land is daunting to me, so I apologies if this is a silly question. I love turkey hunting and hope this works for my advantage.

Also we plan on going Sept 9-23 in the Bridger Mountains, should we expect a lot of pressure or is archery hunting the area pretty minimal? Looking back to 2004 looks likes minimal elk are taken with archery tackle in this area, wondering if it is an elk # thing or if people just arent working hard to find them because the rifle numbers look good.

Thanks in advance for all your help and look forward to hopefully making some good friends on this site.

Welcome! I don't have any info on the Bridgers but theres a lot of guys on here who might. Your group of 4 guys is a good size. Any more than that and I've found you tend to push the elk around and its easy to blow an area out.
Its nice to be based in an area that has multiple ridges or drainages that can be accessed from your camp or trailhead so you aren't covering the same area every day.
In certain ways elk hunting can be compared to hunting eastern turkeys. I grew up hunting in Va. and was used to covering miles till I found a gobbler that was talkative. On the other hand I also found that even if elk are in an area doesn't mean they will respond every time. My advice to you is cover lots of ground until you find fresh elk sign and then be careful. I've found lots of elk by being aggressive and I've also blown lots of elk out of an area by not knowing when to SLOW down and be super quiet.

Thanks Gerald. It is so deceiving looking at the area we plan to hunt. I thought it was a small area but did a square measurement on google maps and it came out to 16.4 miles so hope that is enough to keep us entertained for the 2 weeks. Hope to have a good story to report.

Although I live nearby, I've never elk hunted the Bridgers, so I don't have much to offer you for that area. However, there's great elk hunting all around the Bridgers, so you could easily move camp if you don't like what you find especially if you're going to be hunting for two solid weeks.

I wouldn't confine myself to 2 weeks in the same spot in the bridgers with out a backup plan. I haven't hunted the bridgers much the past few years though. There are definately elk in there, but it definately gets hunted too. In my experience, the elk get pushed around quite a bit. One day they will be there the next not. 16.4 square miles is a good start, but I'd definately research a few alternate areas within an hours drive or so.

You may also want to consider moving your dates back just a touch as in general the third week of September is prime rut. Obviously that can ebb and flow with weather, but just a thought to consider.

By being able to split in pairs you can cover quite a bit more ground to try and get on the elk.

Thanks for the input everyone, I really appreciate all the help.

Tom thank you for the good luck I am sure we will need all we can get too.

JR we can't really push the dates any hoping the fall equinox is actually the trigger this year as that would prime time about 12th. We just hope to see some elk and be alone on the mountain.

Also talked with a friend in Belgrade sounds like maybe be spending a little bit of time in Gallatin Canyon. Hope to not run into to many 4 legged hunters in that area.

Again thanks everyone for the help so far and any other information anyone cares to share I am all ears, trying to soak up as much info as I can.

Well you wont be alone on the mountain. My best advice would be get is as best shape as you can and be prepared to get deep in the mountain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back