Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

How do you choose?

rgroves79

I am in the process of planning and equipping for my first hunt out west. Planning on a 5-7 day hunt. I plan on packing in a shelter and sleep system and hunting out of a base camp. Since I already own rifles, bows, good clothing, etc, my first item on the 'have to buy' list is a pack. My current considerations are:

Kifaru Hunting Platform frame with Mountain Warrior bag
MR Guide Lite Frame with Metcalf bag
EXO 3500

Can I really go wrong with any of these choices? Which one suits the 'pack everything in and then use it as a day pack for essentials' model the best? Can you pack meat between the frame and bag on the Kifaru or do you need the cargo panel to do that? Do you need the cargo panel for the EXO to do the same?

I have no problem spending the $$$ on something that will work and last me a long time so that is not really an issue. Although my hunt is 2 years or so out, I want to get the pack this year or early next year so I can start hiking with it and getting used to hill with weight. I will also add that I am 6'5" and about 240 lbs but I do not have an unusually long torso.

Thanks!

Nothing wrong with any of those choices. They all will seperator from the frame making a load shelf. Since you're looking at the high end stuff I would suggest adding Stone Glacier to the list. I ran a Mystery Ranch longbow as a day hauler for a couple years then picked up a Metcalf and it worked OK until I put a little extra weight on. Even after getting the larger belt pads it never felt great. I switched over to a SG Sky 5200 and I'm very happy I did. Packs are very individual based, meaning what works for one doesn't work for another. Some of the companies on your list offer a trial period which is a great way to try before you decide.
Good luck on your choice.

Most Kifaru packs are not designed to pack meat between the bag and frame - the meat goes inside the bag. From a pure weight carrying perspective and keeping all of your weight close to your back - this is a better option.

One exception to this is the Mountain Rambler (Which also has an integrated rifle scabbard) but you need to find it used as it's not offered anymore. Cargo panel would work and you can add a ton of pockets to organize gear.

I love the Kifaru system as there are a ton of different bag options and they're always popping up used while people are trying to find what works best for them.

I didn't say it wasn't possible - the issue is most bags aren't designed for it (Kifaru tries to accomodate it for people who want to do it, but a load shelf pushes the bag weight out and away from your back, which makes it harder to carry and stay balanced).

A lot of the primary support for the bags comes from a hypalon sleeve at the top of the bag that goes over the top of the frame. To disconnect the bag from the frame - you have to disconnect all your straps, disconnect your load lifters, pull this sleeve up and off the top of the frame. For bags like the Mountain warrior and EMRII - there are also some connectors at the bottom where they attach to the frame that are more difficult to disconnect. It's also not a really a "Load Shelf" at the bottom - it's two straps that are used to compress the bag to the frame. If you look at the Mountain Rambler - it's a true load shelf and the upper attachment points are different and designed for this type of loading. So possible, but it's easier the other way around, Unless you have a day pack like the 22Mag that won't fit meat, or with the rambler, with its load shelf, day pack sized, rifle scabbard - it's a great pack.

I've used the Rambler, EMRII, Mountain Warrior, Cargo Panel. If I'm using the EMRII or the Mountain Warrior, Meat is going inside the bag. Mountain Rambler - Meat goes on the load shelf. Cargo panel is just a load shelf with no bag, but plenty of places to attach pockets.

If I pick a pack like the EMRII - it can compress down to the size of the frame when empty, and expanded can fit all the meat and gear I'm capable of carrying. This year I'll be carrying the Rambler - but I need the rifle scabbard.

Here's an EMRII with all my day gear and as much Elk as I can carry in the bag, plus the head/antlers on the outside (This was approximately half the bull - 2 load trip because it was short):

i-FfjCrNq-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Makes total sense to me to pack meat back to camp in the bag without having to separate the bag and all the straps from the frame. If I have it compressed down as a day pack I wont be hauling all that much gear with me. It also seems like I would want to keep a bunch of fresh meat on the shelf and separated from the rest of my gear. My main thought was the final pack back to the truck when I am trying to haul camp and meat, potentially at the same time. Depending on the weather I would guess that meat would go first in order to get in the cooler and then camp could go last. I am very new to this method of hunting so I don't have any way to compare hauling in the bag versus on a load shelf, or hauling meat on my back at all. I am used to dragging whitetails a few hundred yards to half a mile with a piece of rope. Getting meat out of the back country is a problem I a looking forward to solving!

Each of your pack choices are a different size bag as well.. Each pack company rates their bag volume slightly differently. You'll have to dig deeper to know exactly the true numbers.

As was said, you're looking top of the line with Kifaru and MR as far as quality goes. Kifaru is probably #1 when it comes to options, quality and customer service. Thats why they cost so much, but you will leave with a near custom pack that has a customer service department that will work you through anything. All three of those packs will do the job on a week long hunt, with the 3500 being the smallest.

Packs are like boots. Sizes are never the same across brands and neither is the fit. You'll have to find which fits you right. Since most of those packs are semi-custom you should try and meet people that have them. You don't have a location in your profile, but if you're near me you can borrow mine for a hike.

Each of your pack choices are a different size bag as well.. Each pack company rates their bag volume slightly differently. You'll have to dig deeper to know exactly the true numbers.

As was said, you're looking top of the line with Kifaru and MR as far as quality goes. Kifaru is probably #1 when it comes to options, quality and customer service. Thats why they cost so much, but you will leave with a near custom pack that has a customer service department that will work you through anything. All three of those packs will do the job on a week long hunt, with the 3500 being the smallest.

Packs are like boots. Sizes are never the same across brands and neither is the fit. You'll have to find which fits you right. Since most of those packs are semi-custom you should try and meet people that have them. You don't have a location in your profile, but if you're near me you can borrow mine for a hike.

I would love to get my hands on all of them at some point before I make a decision but that's going to be tough considering I am in VA. As I get closer to pulling the trigger I am going to contact all of them and walk through each set up. I have listened to the folks from each company on different podcasts and each make a very compelling argument for their product. I lean towards the Metcalf with the Kifaru a very close second. Like you said, it is all about personal fit and feel.

I picked up the Mystery Ranch NICE frame and 6500 bag with lid 2 years ago, when you could still purchase bags separately. I liked the setup but decided I wanted a smaller bag for day hunts last fall, and found out that going forward you have to purchase an entire system (frame + bag) to get your hands on a different bag. I was told to call MR and they would sell me a bag separately. I tried that with no luck. I was able to find a used Longbow bag and it fit the bill for what I needed. Then I figured out I needed a lift kit for packing out heavy loads with the longbow bag, and again I tried contacting MR directly with no luck. It took me a few weeks, but I was able to find one on the used market. If I was starting over though, I would try Kifaru because their customer service is top notch, and they are constantly coming up with new bag designs that you can purchase separately and really custom build your own pack system. Having said all that, I've been pretty happy with my MR gear the past 2 seasons and it really is bomb proof. I would be looking to purchase the new MR frame, but because they aren't selling bags or frames separately, I'll be trying out a Kifaru setup after this season. My $.02, YMMV

You can't really go wrong with any of those IMO. I have an Exo 3500 and it's awesome, just a great all around pack.

I was able to pack 7 days worth of gear/food in it without using the load shelf, but it was packed.

I like the 3500 as I can get by with a weeks worth of gear, but it's also an awesome day pack. I didn't really want to buy 2 bags, let alone carry both in. It's not too bulky either (I carried it on my plane with zero issues). It isn't the lightest on the market, but is nowhere near the heaviest either. I have no doubt it'll last a while either.

I picked up the Mystery Ranch NICE frame and 6500 bag with lid 2 years ago, when you could still purchase bags separately. I liked the setup but decided I wanted a smaller bag for day hunts last fall, and found out that going forward you have to purchase an entire system (frame + bag) to get your hands on a different bag. I was told to call MR and they would sell me a bag separately. I tried that with no luck. I was able to find a used Longbow bag and it fit the bill for what I needed. Then I figured out I needed a lift kit for packing out heavy loads with the longbow bag, and again I tried contacting MR directly with no luck. It took me a few weeks, but I was able to find one on the used market. If I was starting over though, I would try Kifaru because their customer service is top notch, and they are constantly coming up with new bag designs that you can purchase separately and really custom build your own pack system. Having said all that, I've been pretty happy with my MR gear the past 2 seasons and it really is bomb proof. I would be looking to purchase the new MR frame, but because they aren't selling bags or frames separately, I'll be trying out a Kifaru setup after this season. My $.02, YMMV

I am leaning towards the Kifaru. A Tahr with a lid and a couple of pockets seems like a really good set up and I will have the option of buying another bag separately if I ever need it. Plus I have the option of running the meat shelf on that bag

This is my backcountry hunt set-up. It's an old Jansport pack frame with everything but the frame and straps stripped off. A lumbar day pack for actual hunting once at camp. A 60L sealed nylon dry bag for camp stuff and food with P-cord already attach for hanging in bear country. A waterproof compression sack for tent and sleeping bag and pad. Finally a cam strap to hold in all together or strap a quarter securely to the frame for a pack out.

The whole system is under $100 and is by far the lightest and most versatile I've ever used. You can find old frame packs a dime a dozen at used sport stores and I definitely prefer a lumbar pack for sneaking around in the woods, it doesn't catch on every branch in the forest like a back pack does. I mistakenly dumped a pile of cash on an Eberlestock just one pack and spike duffel thinking it looked like a good system. Holy crap did that suck for packing a heavy load, way too many bells and whistles, not waterproof, and it held the load way too far off my back and it threw me way off balance even with it compressed as tight as it could.

It might be "old school" technology but my back and wallet couldn't be happierIMG_5574.jpgimage1-5.jpg
PS- I have an Eberlestock just one for sale, haha

Looks an idea. Do you just take the lumbar pack when you hunt and if you get lucky hang the meat then go back to camp for the pack to Extract the meat?

Looks an idea. Do you just take the lumbar pack when you hunt and if you get lucky hang the meat then go back to camp for the pack to Extract the meat?

Yeah, it's usually a multiple trip operation when I get an elk. Fortunately the lumbar pack fits in the dry bag if it needs to be hung for awhile during load hauls. The bears are thick enough where I hunt that everything needs to be able to go in a tree if you're not around.

Last edited:
If you go with the Exo, You might as well get the 5500. It compresses down so nice that you wont notice that its a larger bag. But when you need the extra space, you'll already have it.

No real way of knowing what is going to work, the way you need to work for you.

Redhead, Blonde, Brunette?

If you can, try to take a short test drive with each before you decide.......borrow one from a buddy.

Nobody's experience is going to be the same as yours. ;)

All good stuff. I am all alone in this backpack adventure so I don't have anyone to borrow one from. Kind of like buying a bow - you just cant tell how much you are going to like it until you get some miles on it. I like the pockets/ organization of the Metcalf and the EXO bags but from everything I've read the Kifaru frame is the way to go. I dont really want to buy stuff and start cutting and sewing and all that so I will probably end up with the Tahr and some pockets. Worse case someone on here gets a deal on a pack

I have the Kifaru Hunter Frame in 24in with the Tahr Bag, You can fit a lot of gear in the main bag. I have belt pouches and 2 medium pouches on the bag, I would get the guide lid for a little extra storage. The whole system is extremely comfortable and weight distribution is awesome. I am 6ft and I get plenty of load lift with the 24's, you just have to make sure to adjust the frame to your fitting once you get it.

Eberlestock F1 frame and the little big top bag makes for an amazing meat hauler but the setup is heavier than kifaru.

I hauled two fronts and the head and my gear. Not recommended but we had two bulls down and only 2 guys.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back