Hole in the wall good food....

In my opinion the Rib and Chop House is way over-rated. Never had a great meal there. The Land of Magic is good sometimes, and fine other times. The Oasis is not bad. I've heard great things about The Willow Creek Cafe for ribs. The Mint in Belgrade has a new owner as of a year or so ago, so these guys commenting on it used to be good, its probably the old owner who I think owns Open Range which is really good, but definitely not a hole in the wall. The drink menu is really unique. I don't know that the Mint isn't good, its just not the same owner so I don't know. You can't go wrong with Mainstreet Overeasy for lunch or breakfast. The chicken fried steak has its own plate and everything else comes on another plate. But go early if its on the weekend. Its packed by 8/9 am. So many great places to eat in Bozeman and they aren't chains and they aren't hole in the walls.

That sounds like a good place to head close to where we will be in the Madison. Get one last good burger before a weeks worth of prefrozen meals and MREs or a nice laid back success breakfast.

The Korner Klub just lost its food license a few days ago. Septic system issues they weren't fixing. If you could get food, an order of naked tenders is great. If I'm at 4 corners, I like the pizza/grinders at the Buffalo Bump Pizza. And if you get lost and end up at the Buffalo Jump instead, well, lets just say they have naked tenders too. Mama Macs is another good one at 4 corners.

People really like Stacy's in Gallatin Gateway too for steaks.
For sure the burgers are exceptionally good and the steak sandwich just might be the best steak bargain in the state ... plus you never know who might come riding in the door of the saloon on their pony! (I've seen it.)

So many great places to eat in Bozeman and they aren't chains and they aren't hole in the walls.

As long as they don't mind a guy in dirty camo who just came out of the field and has been baby wiping it for 7 days then I am game. Around here the nicer places would have everyone and their brother looking at you trying not to get caught staring. Kinda ruins the meal if you cant enjoy the atmosphere. The place we were eating at in the beginning of this thread has it's annual buck pole and camo is the norm. Also if you go for breakfast early there is no way you can out smell the table of hog farmers next to you. LOL

Well, there's a lot you wouldn't want to go to, but a lot that would be fine still. Hit up MAP brewing. You can eat outside if need be. The beer's great. So at least have a beer and go from there.

Last edited:
there are lots of good suggestions on here, I will add my 2 cents. the Mint bar in Townsend Mt has great fried chicken, Homes Cafe on Conrad Mt has awesome breakfast and homemade pie. There is a bar in Melrose Mt that has amazing bacon cheeseburgers too. I can go on all day, when my brother and I used to rodeo we ate in a lot of little mom and pop places.

At this point I am going to have to hope for a Elk very close to a road that will load itself before I shoot it. I am going to be spending too much time eating at all these great places and be too fat to pack one out. Lol

Tony,

If you're ever down in Schoolcraft, Bud's is a great little hole in the wall. Menu hasn't changed since we had our wedding reception there 12 years ago. Food is decent and the prices aren't bad. On your way back north, hang a right on U Ave and I'll give you a pack of ground NM elk from 2015. I've been saving the last few packages for burgers this summer, but we can always give one away.

-tom

When I visited Yellowstone, I ate at "The Lighthouse" in Gardiner, MT a few times. It's my favorite place that I've been (not that I go out to eat much). Loved the food, the atmosphere, and the staff. If I were going to be in the vicinity, I would definitely be going there again.

The Corral burger is hard to beat, and even when snowmobiling buck creek or Taylors fork I've seen people drag elk up to the restaurant on horse back ( they often trailer there)

Mabel's Cafe in Laurel, nothing to look at, but, if you like non Americanized Mexican Mabel's will hit the spot. BYOB.

Minnies in Thompson Falls was good. Breakfast especially. Don't know if they are still there. And if you hit the Root and not Nap's, shame on you. mtmuley

Tony,

If you're ever down in Schoolcraft, Bud's is a great little hole in the wall. Menu hasn't changed since we had our wedding reception there 12 years ago. Food is decent and the prices aren't bad. On your way back north, hang a right on U Ave and I'll give you a pack of ground NM elk from 2015. I've been saving the last few packages for burgers this summer, but we can always give one away.

-tom

I actually used to work down in Schoolcraft at ELC on their garage doors and storage trailers. I bought my mountain bike at the shop there down town and used to get my hair cut at that small little barbershop. Its been 12 years and I would imagine that town hasn't changed much. I always liked being down there, I work up in Kalamazoo now off from Parkview. I appreciate the elk burger offer but I am trying to clean out the freezer from this year. I shot that big 8 in my avatar and took my dad out and we tag teamed on some small bucks at the end of muzzleloader. I wasn't going to shoot another one after the 8 but my dad hadn't shot a buck in 7 years and I had never shot one with him. I don't have that many left with the old man so when the opportunity arose I couldn't say no. So if I want to bring home an elk and deer from MT I need some freezer space.

IMG_0064.jpg IMG_0074.jpgMy favorite photos from last year, horn size doesn't equate to trophy size.

Well seeing I derailed my own thread, now back to the food portion of the thread.

Last edited:
Best sit down fine dining is The Sacagawea in 3forks.
Best Western atmosphere with great food try Willow Creek.
And the sleeper...Best no frills diner that serves a 5 star prime rib for a sane price, the Town Haul in Harrison.
Bozeman is mostly sushi and craft beer.Make Map Brewery a must stop..Order a Midas Touch.

The Dell Calf-A. The Western in Bozeman was legit in the day, lost its soul about 7 years ago.

Madison River Brewing in Belgrade is a cool brewery environment that makes some good beers. Get the Copper John or the Salmon Fly Honey Rye.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back