Caribou Gear

Hitch Hauler: suggestions and input sought

1_pointer

I'm going to be picking up a "hitch hauler" soon for a hunting trip and it'll come in handy for family trips as well. Just curious as to what you guys like (make, model, type)? What size to you find useful? Folding a good thing or not? Does yours have side rails or do you wish it did?

Thanks in advance.

I have one, used it a lot. Make/model dosent really matter as store bought ones are flimsy...

Couple suggestions:

If you own a welder, build one yourself.
Bunge cords and ratchet straps are a god send on these things.
Tarps, even doubled up water finds it way thru.
If you use it on a vehicle with a swing out back door/hatch style, you will need to pack accordingly. Know matter what you will need to get in the back for something and have to unpack/repack.
Watch where the exhaust points on said vehicle, cause some will point right to the suitcase or other soft sided item then comes the smell.
Some states (I haven't verified) might require you to mount the vehicle license plate to it (might have to run a light also) since it will be covered by your stuff.
Add reflective corner stickers to it, so others see it and hopefully don't ram into it...

Just some of the reason why building one is better as you can customize the height, length, width to meet your specs.

Mine has side rails and is steel. It has held up decently for the most part. It also fold up with it isn't loaded, something I don't often do. If I bought another one it would fold, I feel that it brings the hitch out a little to far because of it. I couldn't tell you the brand it is as berm that long since I purchased it.

Another vote for harbor freight. I recently traded my silverado in for a gmc terrain (suv) and both this along with the 2" to 1.25" adapter and it works well. Unless you had access to free materials you'd be hard pressed to build it yourself for this price.

All I can add is my buddy got pulled over crossing Wyoming. Trooper told him technically the Plate should be mounted on hauler to be visible. Didn't write him a ticket.

I had a steel hauler. Heavy as hell and difficult to get into the receiver. Spent the extra $$ got got an aluminum hauler. Much easier on the back.

All I can add is my buddy got pulled over crossing Wyoming. Trooper told him technically the Plate should be mounted on hauler to be visible. Didn't write him a ticket.

I've been thinking about getting one, but was concerned about this exact thing.

Forget about bungee cords of any kind if you really need to hold your stuff in place. Ratchet straps are the only way to go. Bungee cords will just keep stretching until your stuff falls out on a bumpy road.

I got mine at cabelas several years ago. Steel and quite heavy. It has side rails too which I like and would get again. I've probably made 8-10 trips from home to either Colorado or Wyoming and never had a problem.

Forget about bungee cords of any kind if you really need to hold your stuff in place. Ratchet straps are the only way to go. Bungee cords will just keep stretching until your stuff falls out on a bumpy road.

My hunting partners neighbor lost his deer on I75 from the bumps and bungee cord failure, he didn't realize it until he got home and it was gone. Every time he see mine in the garage still in the box he tells me that story and tells me its a good thing mine is still in the box. It makes me chuckle, with ratchet straps it should be fine.

I have both a steel one and an aluminum one. Use the aluminum one much more simply because of the weight. The one thing I will add that I haven't seen already posted is to put wheels on the back of it. That way when you are not using it, you can stand it up and move it quite easily. Wish my steel one had them.

Second for this or cam straps (i use both) and maybe my idea of weight is a little different, but I don't my the HF one I have (above) to be heavy at all. It easily hangs on hooks in the garage.

I have a cheap ($40 or so) one from Wal-Mart. It's rated to 500 lbs, I've never had that much on it but have probably averaged around 200 pounds on it with no problems. It's steel, but not very heavy, maybe 40-50 lbs.

I usually wrap my stuff in a tarp, then ratchet down, then use bungees to secure tarp corners/etc. from flapping.

I use mine with an SUV, so my license plate is a bit higher than on a truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTOG
Back