Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Historical Type Rifle for Elk?

DanW

My buddy is looking to get a historical type (maybe military sniper) rifle for elk. He was thinking Mosin or something similar. What would be a very accurate hard-hitting rifle that will take an elk at 450 yds or below AND has historical value? I was thinking maybe Winchester M70?

Like mentioned already, depends on your perception of historical. I may be an odd one out here, but I'm a fan of Ruger No. 1 rifles. Not as historical as a Win M70, but still a rifle that reminds me of the old days.
At one time I had my heart set on a #1 in 25-06. Then poking around in a sporting goods store in Ft Collins, Colorado I found it brand new. had the money but finding it seemed to have popped the dream. $265 brand new and I had the money and didn't do it! Go figure! Those early Ruger's were beautiful rifles. Got one in 7x57 when they first chambered it. Horrible shooting rifle and was ready to junk it and tried 154gr Hornady RN bullet's and it shot them really well so kept it. Beautiful rifle though!

At one time I had my heart set on a #1 in 25-06. Then poking around in a sporting goods store in Ft Collins, Colorado I found it brand new. had the money but finding it seemed to have popped the dream. $265 brand new and I had the money and didn't do it! Go figure! Those early Ruger's were beautiful rifles. Got one in 7x57 when they first chambered it. Horrible shooting rifle and was ready to junk it and tried 154gr Hornady RN bullet's and it shot them really well so kept it. Beautiful rifle though!
As a lefty, I love the #1.

Had a similar situation on night after hitting the bars in Portland, ME. We decided to check out the 24 hr LL Bean, found a used left handed Wingmaster, great condition. I don't know if the lefty's are rare but between me and the alcohol I thought I found gold. I fought with myself for an hour walking around the store. Wife said buy it, brother said buy it and his wife said do it. I ended up passing on it because I thought if I could find one that easy I could do it again. Have yet to buy one.

Depends on your definition of historical. I wouldn't touch a Mosin for anything other than firing cheap surplus ammo into berms. A sporterized 1903 maybe.
What he said. Mosin rifles are typically 5 MOA at best. Good luck finding one without a bore that is rust pitted from shooting corrosive ammo. I bought one when I was 18 years old for $95 (2007). I could probably get $400 for it now. Still have it and it's fun as hell to shoot... but for any kind of game animal, probably a no-go.
If your friend won't be swayed on the "historical" thing, maybe look for a nice Swedish made Husqvarna in 6.5 Swede. Or just get something in 45-70 and be done with it. Either way, I'd keep those shots within 200ish yards.
An M70? That's a whole different conversation.

A sporterized ‘03 or military Mauser would probably be the way to go. Other that’s that there‘s the pre 64 winchesters, model 54, if he can find one. Then there’s the commercial Mauser like the Husqvarna that was mentioned. Also the classic Browning “high power” rifles (but careful for salt wood stocks).

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I've sent him y'alls recommendations and I'll let y'all know what he picks. We plan to do an elk hunt in 2022 and this is the first step for him.

Only one cartridge I can think of more under rated than the 7x57. That would be the 6.5x55 and I love them both!

My buddy is looking to get a historical type (maybe military sniper) rifle for elk. He was thinking Mosin or something similar. What would be a very accurate hard-hitting rifle that will take an elk at 450 yds or below AND has historical value? I was thinking maybe Winchester M70?

You weren't thinking of something like a Hawken or a Sharps or a Rolling Block or Ballard?

THOSE would be historical types.

Mauser, 1903 Springfield, Lee Enfield.
Lots of choices for historical rifles.
303 British, 30-06, 8X57 Mauser, 7X57 Mauser, 6.5X55 Swede. Lots of cartridges that will get the job done.

I really like my sporterized 1903 30.06, 300wm #1, or my grandpa's .58 cal muzzleloader. In that order. The one time I fired the .58 caliber in the field, only the percussion cap went off. :(

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back