Caribou Gear Tarp

High Rainfall = Above Avg Horn Growth?

A-5_Guy

So I'm new to all of this pronghorn stuff, but while doing all my scouting, etc I've noticed that the rainfall amounts this spring in Wyoming have been 200-300% more than the previous 5 years' amounts in some areas.

In addition to negating some of the "find the waterhole, find the 'lope" strategies, will this result in a "banner year" for horn growth?

What do y'all think?

Also, is anyone having dreams about which units to apply for? It's all a crapshoot for me since I don't have any PP's for WY, so I'm hoping for luck!

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunt...639-Pronghorn-guru-question!&highlight=growth

When I was in Wyoming in the fall of 2014, there was what appeared to be a certain age class that all had small bases. We noticed it but just thought maybe it was genetics. Then we got back and a couple of months later the discussion in the link came up and it seemed obvious that was probably the issue. It was obvious to us newbies while we were out there that something was going on.

Last edited:
I think horn growth and weather are largely over-played.

Will there be good antelope bucks in Wyoming this year? Yes. More than a normal year? No.

I've traveled extensively this spring through the best pronghorn areas in the State. The horn growth is not anything special this year.

The biggest benefit to the improved conditions and milder winters will be an increase in total numbers. Next year should have a pretty good number of 3-4 year old bucks. I think the best is still to come as populations are on a very positive up-swing.

I don't care how good the conditions are, there just are not that many bucks that will become a B&C candidate genetically.

I think horn growth and weather are largely over-played.

Will there be good antelope bucks in Wyoming this year? Yes. More than a normal year? No.

I've traveled extensively this spring through the best pronghorn areas in the State. The horn growth is not anything special this year.

The biggest benefit to the improved conditions and milder winters will be an increase in total numbers. Next year should have a pretty good number of 3-4 year old bucks. I think the best is still to come as populations are on a very positive up-swing.

I don't care how good the conditions are, there just are not that many bucks that will become a B&C candidate genetically.

Buzz,

I agree with your statements and thanks for the observation. Obviously, access to water and nutrition is only a very small part of the equation that leads to a B&C buck. I'd think that genetics would have the most influence horn potential, but that nutrition may hold back a "genetically apt B&C buck" from actually becoming one...

Like I said, I'm still new to pronghorn so thanks for the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back