High Country Mule Deer Hunt

navy_chief

Hi All,

Fist off...congrats to everyone out there putting meat in the freezer this season...and those who are also getting some nice wall hangers.

So I'm currently sitting on 6 Colorado muley points. I want to use them this year so that I can reset and start hunting with my dad while he still has his health.

I'm torn between an early rifle wilderness hunt or a 3rd/4th season hunt. I've been looking at the Eagles nest wilderness early rifle hunt (gmu 36) or the Flattops wilderness early rifle hunt (25). I should be able to draw any of these units I'm thinking.

I've never done a Wilderness/High Country hunt and I'll most likely be by myself without any chance of prior scouting before the season starting due to my schedlue. I'm in pretty good shape...workout 5 days a week...run/ruck/hike quite a bit so I'm not worried about being in shape for the hunt because I'll make sure I'm ready. I know the altitude sickness is a serious factor that I'll be up against and I'll have to make sure to ease into it. I know the eagles nest is a pretty highly trafficked area with weekend hikers and such. Not too sure about the Flattops.

My questions are, does anyone have any recent experience hunting either of these Wilderness areas and if so what type of animals were you seeing. Looking at the statistics for the eagles nest, it appears that there was only an 8% success rate for the early rifle hunt and the Flattops had a success rate of around 52%.

Also...have the option putting in for a 3rd season unit 22 hunt or a 4th season unit 25 hunt. Never hunted any of these units either.

Anyone willing to share there experience or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gonzo

3rd rifle, hands down. I wouldn't burn 6 pts on a Flattops Muley Tag. Deer are down up there and those early rifle hunts can be tough. 3rd rifle mule deer in Colorado is one of the best western public land hunts a guy can do. Unit 22 would be an excellent choice. I bet success rates on that hunt is close to 75%.

Last edited:
ishootdasmallones...thanks for the heads up on 22 taking 8 pts...wow...I checked on it last year and it was at 6. Should have put in then.

Yeah, point creep sucks. At 6 points though you will probably have to either go hunt and leave a few on the table, or wait a few more years.

Any recommendations for a third season unit? Last time I hunted in Colorado was when I was stationed at Buckley AFB in 2004 and took a bull in an Otc unit.

Any recommendations for a third season unit? Last time I hunted in Colorado was when I was stationed at Buckley AFB in 2004 and took a bull in an Otc unit.

3, 4, 11, 211, 21, 22, 30, 31, 32, 42, 421, 44, 53, 54, 55, 61, 62. There all good. Iv'e heard the units down south near Bayfield and Durango are good to, but I have no experience hunting them for mule deer. Like I said though, when you start researching the units I listed above your going to find that you either have a few more years to go, or will be leaving points on the table. Also, don't limit yourself to just the ones I mentioned above. There is a ton of other good mule deer units in this state, I just haven't set foot in them. Good Luck!

70 and 77 are both fun 3rd or 4th season hunts if you are looking for something in the southern part of the state.

I wouldn't rule out the 25 early season hunt. There are some giant deer in there. I'd say it all depends on how hard you are willing to hunt. The trophy potential is definitely there.

I wouldn't rule out the 25 early season hunt. There are some giant deer in there. I'd say it all depends on how hard you are willing to hunt. The trophy potential is definitely there.

Carnage2011 thanks for the info and since I'll be by myself I'll be able to hunt as hard as is required. Do you have experience hunting this unit by chance?

I just came back from unit 70 3rd season. Didn't see a single elk or deer in person or in anyone's trucks or UTV's. Highs in the 60's everyday. Hunters were pulling out by Wednesday. Most areas of where I was in unit 70 look like a KOA RV park the last couple of years since Eastman's put it as a good unit a few years ago. There hasn't been a decent winter in the area I was in in about 6 years, so the elk and deer have no reason to come down low. I've hunted 70 for quite a few years, and until they start having decent winters again, don't waste points on 3rd season in the unit, in my opinion.

25 is a tough hunt imo. The deer are there but so are the roads and competition. It's real hard to find a secluded area. Oh there are quite a few guides in the area too. That said the deer are there.

Popcan glad to hear there are some deer in there. I don't mind hunting hard. Might be tough though not being able to get any prior scouting in.

Popcan glad to hear there are some deer in there. I don't mind hunting hard. Might be tough though not being able to get any prior scouting in.

That's one of the main reasons I recommended a 3rd rifle hunt. I don't want to discourage you from an alpine experience. If that's what you want, go for it:) If you really want to punch your tag and look over multiple bucks per day, in open, high desert terrain, 3rd rifle is your best bet.

Colorado is goofy. In the area I hunted in it was warm, other areas got snow. You can never predict what you're going to get and where you'll get it. On facebook groups I belong to, people were taking great bucks 3rd season, and I have had my best luck in 3rd season in the past. I didn't mean to sound like I was putting you off of trying to come out. If I sounded that way, then I apologize. 3rd season is in general the best season to hunt, unless you can pull off a 4th season tag. Just come out and hunt...you won't regret it :cool:

There's a TON of outfitters and guides in 25. They seemingly have every inch of private outfitted for their operations. Probably some better units in CO than 25 with all the OTC elk hunters running around and tons of outfitters.
I'd go deep and steep and be willing to spike out to avoid the road hunters and day hikers.

navy chief, I haven't hunted the early season ,but have spent time in there during the later rifle seasons. With your lack of time to scout I would probably take ishootdasmallones advice and do a later season hunt. I hunted third season this year and we were hunting deer at 10-12,000 feet. We didn't see a ton of deer, but the quality was good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back