Hi, from the Great White North

The Long Hunter

I just joined up on this hunter forum this morning. I live in Alberta but have hunted a lot in Montana for waterfowl and antelope over the years. I love Montana and all you folks are blessed to live there. I have hunted with Bill O'Connell of Bozeman years ago but have lost touch with this fine man. I am sort of hoping that maybe he frequents this site and we can get in touch again. When this Covid disaster abates, perhaps we can share a campfire somewhere .. sometime ... all the best.

Now that is a first post!

Welcome aboard and share some hunting stories.

Thank you so much for the great welcome. Boomerusaf asked for hunting stories. My grade one teacher wrote on my report card, ' Richard loves to tell hunting stories and his English is much improved.'

I was hunting Freeze Out Lake with a friend who was the Biologist (from Billings) for the Central Flyway and we were trying to get a tundra swan for each of us. I had gotten mine the day before and that afternoon we had talked to a couple of guys. The son was probably in his late fifties and his dad, at least 80. The father was the one with the swan permit. The old man had terrible health with having had a stroke and heart attacks and a stint and such. He actually could not walk but he was still there hunting.

At sunrise the next morning we left my wife and schnauzers in the 4x4 and Jim and I walked out into the marsh/cattails etc. I was the cheering section. The going was a bit tough. There was not a cloud in the sky and everything was a golden color as the sun came up. And then there was a big flock of snow geese flying ... and ducks.. and shooting erupted around the lakes.

And then there were literally hundreds and probably a few thousand swans in the air. Flying in every direction. 50 yards up .. 75 yards high ... 100 yards to the north ... 300 yards to the east. Swans everywhere.

I was absolutley awestruck! I finally lifted my arms in the air and did a couple of 360's seeing the spectacle! What a sight.

Jim did get his swan.

And back at my 4x4. My lady later told me that the two guys had arrived shortly after we disappeared into the marsh. And the old man found something to lean against ... and as the swans came by he started his own vision of hell fire!

He was not sitting at home waiting for the Grim Reaper. He was a hunter that golden morning and, by gawd, he was still in the game!

Thank you so much for the great welcome. Boomerusaf asked for hunting stories. My grade one teacher wrote on my report card, ' Richard loves to tell hunting stories and his English is much improved.'

I was hunting Freeze Out Lake with a friend who was the Biologist (from Billings) for the Central Flyway and we were trying to get a tundra swan for each of us. I had gotten mine the day before and that afternoon we had talked to a couple of guys. The son was probably in his late fifties and his dad, at least 80. The father was the one with the swan permit. The old man had terrible health with having had a stroke and heart attacks and a stint and such. He actually could not walk but he was still there hunting.

At sunrise the next morning we left my wife and schnauzers in the 4x4 and Jim and I walked out into the marsh/cattails etc. I was the cheering section. The going was a bit tough. There was not a cloud in the sky and everything was a golden color as the sun came up. And then there was a big flock of snow geese flying ... and ducks.. and shooting erupted around the lakes.

And then there were literally hundreds and probably a few thousand swans in the air. Flying in every direction. 50 yards up .. 75 yards high ... 100 yards to the north ... 300 yards to the east. Swans everywhere.

I was absolutley awestruck! I finally lifted my arms in the air and did a couple of 360's seeing the spectacle! What a sight.

Jim did get his swan.

And back at my 4x4. My lady later told me that the two guys had arrived shortly after we disappeared into the marsh. And the old man found something to lean against ... and as the swans came by he started his own vision of hell fire!

He was not sitting at home waiting for the Grim Reaper. He was a hunter that golden morning and, by gawd, he was still in the game!
Hell of a story welcome to hunt talk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back