Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

help with last minute AK deer hunt.

nr8l

Ok so my phone rings yesterday. My brother in-law invites me up for a deer hunt. Leaving this Fri.
Here's my questions:
What weather can/should I expect (temps)
What rain gear do you recommend? (inexpensive)
What boots?

Thank you for the help

I used Meindl Island Pro boots and they worked fine. About any good backpacking boot should work, just make sure it's got some good tread. At least where I was, once that grass gets wet, it's SLICK! I got by in the rain and on the skiff with a Patagonia rain jacket and Red Ledge pants. For the price, I've been happy with the Red Ledge gear, just keep in mind that it is not at all quiet. A guy on the same trip had some Fogg Toggs. The alders shredded them. On another forum, many from AK suggest the Helly Hansen Impertech stuff for keeping dry, but state that they can also work up quite the sweat in it as well. IIRC that's what the charter captain had and it's not too pricey.

Ok so my phone rings yesterday. My brother in-law invites me up for a deer hunt. Leaving this Fri.
Here's my questions:
What weather can/should I expect (temps)
What rain gear do you recommend? (inexpensive)
What boots?

Thank you for the help

Where in Alaska?
Help us help you...

Rubber boots and a couple sets of raingear would be a good start.

Xtra tufs and set of goretex plus a set of real raingear (rubber) would be my suggestion.

Southeast is going to be warmer and wetter right now. Kodiak is going to be colder, and still wet. You backpack hunting? Weight limits? Boat hunting?

Theres way too many variables in this question.

The hunt is going to be south east, boat based. Weight not really an issue other than commercial airlines. I've heard that gore tex will not hold up in the constant drizzle/rain.

The hunt is going to be south east, boat based. Weight not really an issue other than commercial airlines. I've heard that gore tex will not hold up in the constant drizzle/rain.
You heard right. Even worse, it won't hold up at all in the brush. If it doesn't get soaked through, then the devils club will get it.

I used this stuff for years when I was logging out of ketchikan. Better than impertech, waaay more tough, and still light. You WILL sweat in it though, so layer lightly.

http://www.gowatershed.com/custom-r...t-products/industrial/stormforce-rugged-wear/

Not too many places stock it. So you may not be able to get your hands on any watershed with short notice. Give it a shot though.

For a boat based hunt, I'd go with Insulated Xtra Tuffs. GOOD socks.. Nothing worse than cold feet out on a boat. Snow is on the Mtn Tops now, and it's supposed to get chilly next week. It could snow a ton, like it did 3 or 4 years ago in early Nov. If we get a north wind, you'll need some some good layers as it gets cold fast if your glassing from a boat. Good gloves.

For rain gear, get some lightweight green pvc bibs or impertech bibs. PVC Jacket too. (Get some higher quality stuff, and have it for life. The cheap stuff will let you down.) The brush is usually very thick at the beach and busting through it to get to the muskegs, and you can get soaked in a hurry, even if it isn't raining. Bring a few fleece jackets or Under Armour hoodies too.

You'll be hitting the rut perfectly...

Just expect to be wet all day and change into dry stuff on the boat :D :D

You'll have a great time. Take lots of pictures !!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back