Help! Shooting problems!

AZbywayofWI

Hey guys I have developed a couple of issues with shooting my bow that I am not sure how to fix. As a preface, I have been bow hunting for almost 20 years and I am by no means a noob, so the development of these issues is super annoying! I started out shooting great earlier this summer and then these issues have came out of no where in the last 2-3 weeks. I will acknowledge that I recently purchased new arrows (Goldtip Kinetic Pierce, a new stabilizer and a new release (Spot Hogg Wiseguy). Think these could be the culprit?

- The first issue I am having is I can't for the life of me maintain pin stabilization over my target. I have always tried to float the pin over or around the area I am aiming and then release the arrow when I float over the target. Now I can't even do that and it always seems that I am having to raise the bow up quite a bit to even get my pin (20 yard) close to where I want it. In fact now that I think about it, it's pretty much every time that I draw the bow back I am having to raise it up from the bottom of the target to the intended target area. My bow arm shakes a lot too, which is something new to me. I am 38 and pull 65lbs easy, I will admit that I do have arthritis in my elbow of my bow arm; getting old blows.

- The second issue I am having is that every arrow I shoot pushes left. I try to keep the same form every time, good breathing, and good follow through and yet the arrow pushes left. Am I punching the trigger? Do you think it's torque?

I had my bow tuned by one of the local "pro" shops earlier this summer but when I got it home most of the allen screws came lose and I had to adjust everything myself, however I still shot pretty well after the adjustment. I am fairly annoyed with this and my confidence in shooting is at an all time low. Any help you guys could offer would be much appreciated!!!

Bow Stats:

Diamond "The Rock"
Draw 31"
Draw Weight 65lbs

Matt

Last edited:
The first issue sounds like target panic to me. What sort of release were you using before the Wiseguy? I think the first thing I would do is go back to all the gear you were using before and see if the same issue exists. If it does, it's probably a TP issue. That's a b****, but something you can work through with thoughtful practice. Tons of literature out there on the matter, and personally I found that a hinge release really helped me.

Second one sounds like it's probably linked to above. Did you change your arrow spine or point weight or anything with the new arrows? If all else is equal in terms of your form, hitting left could indicate a spine that is too stiff, assuming your a RH shooter. Have you done any arrow tuning?

Last edited:
The first issue sounds like target panic to me. What sort of release were you using before the Wiseguy? I think the first thing I would do is go back to all the gear you were using before and see if the same issue exists. If it does, it's probably a TP issue. That's a b****, but something you can work through with thoughtful practice. Tons of literature out there on the matter, and personally I found that a hinge release really helped me.

Second one sounds like it's probably linked to above. Did you change your arrow spine or point weight or anything with the new arrows? If all else is equal in terms of your form, hitting left could indicate a spine that is too stiff. Have you done any arrow tuning?

The release I used before was an old release, so old I don't even know the name of it. It was the old style crab claw release system. It had gotten to the point where I had to push the trigger in and move it forward to make the jaws close. I had thought of going back and examining the difference between my old gear and my new. How do I deal with target panic? What are the benefits of a hinge release?

I was using Easton Axis 300's but have switched to Gold Tip Kinetic Pierce 300's. The shop I took it to said they had paper tuned my bow but with all the loose screws, I am not super impressed with them.

New release may have caused your draw length to change slightly. As far as the shaking goes it could be target panic (I hate speaking that word) or it could be an issue with you can timing/when the string hits the stops. Do you have access to a draw board? Have you fiddled with the draw weight in a while? How old are the stings?

Have you adjusted your sight since shooting the new gear? The left issue could be just a slight change in anchor or something with the new release.

As far as a hinge is concerned, the biggest benefit to me was that there was no trigger to push/pull/punch/squeeze. It only fires by pulling through the shot. It basically takes the "there's the bull hit the trigger" feeling away because there is no trigger to hit. It forces you to just continue aiming and pull through until fire. It's not for everyone but certainly helped me.

Quick follow up what's your arrow size and spine? I'm assuming you're shooting 100grain tips

New release may have caused your draw length to change slightly. As far as the shaking goes it could be target panic (I hate speaking that word) or it could be an issue with you can timing/when the string hits the stops. Do you have access to a draw board? Have you fiddled with the draw weight in a while? How old are the stings?

Another comment about Target Panic, I had previously thought to myself that I was suffering from some sort of mental block. Maybe you are right on track with the Target Panic. I haven't messed with the draw weight in awhile, I don't think that is the issue as I have had no problem with it earlier this summer. The string was just replaced. Think I should take it in to a bow shop and have it looked at?

I'd go back to basics and shoot up real close. Possibly blind bale shoot if you can. Make a process and think through each shot to completion. Think good hand position, draw smooth, and pull through shot. Look up blond bale shooting and try it for a little (a week or so)

Have you adjusted your sight since shooting the new gear? The left issue could be just a slight change in anchor or something with the new release.

As far as a hinge is concerned, the biggest benefit to me was that there was no trigger to push/pull/punch/squeeze. It only fires by pulling through the shot. It basically takes the "there's the bull hit the trigger" feeling away because there is no trigger to hit. It forces you to just continue aiming and pull through until fire. It's not for everyone but certainly helped me.

I have adjusted the site as far as distance, however my left and right where always good so I didn't tinker with it. Could it be grip? I have been messing with my grip a bit. My buddy uses a hinge release from John Dudley, and he shoots fantastic with it. Which is also super annoying because he is brand new to the sport and has a brand new bow and a brand new release and now out shoots me.

Reduce you draw weight. Shoot close. Have someone watch you. Grip torque and target panic.

I'd go back to basics and shoot up real close. Possibly blind bale shoot if you can. Make a process and think through each shot to completion. Think good hand position, draw smooth, and pull through shot. Look up blond bale shooting and try it for a little (a week or so)
I am going to try this! Thanks for the advice!

#1 Too many variables: new arrows, new release, bow tuned, struggle to lift the pin up to the target, and sight windage adjustment

#2 Your mental focus off. Anxiety, frustration, doubt, annoyance, and questioning. Even after fixing any mechanical issues, you still need to get to your mojo back.

Put your bow out of sight. Take some deep breaths and relax. Then, write out a list of facts, such as:
-I’ve been shooting for 20 years and I’m a good shot
-When I have my equipment tuned I shoot well
-I’ll be back to form once I find and correct the problems.

Let your mind be at peace again. Take as long as you need to, whether that’s an hour or a day or a week.

I’ll second the advice about draw length change caused by the new release. This could account for shakiness, fatigue, hard to lift bow up. Consider adjusting release length and/or D-loop length. I also draw back with the arrow pointed slightly up in the air, and allow gravity to gently let the sight picture settle down to the target, rather than trying to lift the bow up to the target

Next up, TP, driveby shooting, and trigger punching. If you stick with the wrist rocket, focus on blank bale shooting only for a while where you pull apart your bow slowly using your back muscles to fire the bow rather than your finger (and forearm tendons by extension).

#1 Too many variables: new arrows, new release, bow tuned, struggle to lift the pin up to the target, and sight windage adjustment

#2 Your mental focus off. Anxiety, frustration, doubt, annoyance, and questioning. Even after fixing any mechanical issues, you still need to get to your mojo back.

Put your bow out of sight. Take some deep breaths and relax. Then, write out a list of facts, such as:
-I’ve been shooting for 20 years and I’m a good shot
-When I have my equipment tuned I shoot well
-I’ll be back to form once I find and correct the problems.

Let your mind be at peace again. Take as long as you need to, whether that’s an hour or a day or a week.

I’ll second the advice about draw length change caused by the new release. This could account for shakiness, fatigue, hard to lift bow up. Consider adjusting release length and/or D-loop length. I also draw back with the arrow pointed slightly up in the air, and allow gravity to gently let the sight picture settle down to the target, rather than trying to lift the bow up to the target

Next up, TP, driveby shooting, and trigger punching. If you stick with the wrist rocket, focus on blank bale shooting only for a while where you pull apart your bow slowly using your back muscles to fire the bow rather than your finger (and forearm tendons by extension).

You hit the nail on the head with getting my mojo back, I have no confidence currently! Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it!

I was shooting with a friend last year that had target panic pretty bad
I told him stop trying to hit the bullseye and shoot to kill a deer ,What I mean is draw set pin on target let it fly if it would have killed a deer aming for lungs then its a dead deer and say to your self dead deer
after shooting for a bit it fixed his issue sometimes I think we focus to much on missing the mark by just a bit and in real hunting situations 2or 3 inches doesnt matter and saying dead deer all the time brings confidence back

The arm shake and missing left sounds like your gripping the bow too much, probably as a result of target panic and forcing the pin on the bullseye

Another comment about Target Panic, I had previously thought to myself that I was suffering from some sort of mental block. Maybe you are right on track with the Target Panic. I haven't messed with the draw weight in awhile, I don't think that is the issue as I have had no problem with it earlier this summer. The string was just replaced. Think I should take it in to a bow shop and have it looked at?

If the string was just replaced, you have to re tune the bow. I have never seen a "string replacement" that didn't require some level of advanced tuning. I am talking tuning with twists in the cables, string, etc. Beyond the tuning that can be done with the rest.

You mentioned that you have adjusted your sight and rest as far as you can. This tells me something is not tuned properly. Get it to a good shop and let them go back through the tune. And...it has to be tuned to YOU. So bring your release and your arrow and get it tuned to YOU.

Best of luck! I am fighting through some target panic myself right now. But...I know that the equipment is doing its job. My situation is totally a "ME" issue this go around.

A couple of years ago I had a new top line bow and had tuned it well and began seeing huge results in accuracy etc. Eventually, I noticed I wasn't hitting where I was supposed to. I resighted in and everything was good for another 50 shots or so, then the same thing. I noticed my serving was separating and had that reserved. That seemed to fix things....for a while. Then while shooting at TAC event, I started having weird POI with my arrows. I felt like my form was really good, I wasn't punching the trigger, and at times it was right on and at others, I was WAY off. I broke a dozen arrows over two days. I was so frustrated.

Took it back to the shop and they discovered the weights on the string were moving up and down the string. This threw my timing off and therefore my tune was way off. The mfg warrantied the string, and I literally NEVER had another issue. It was so frustrating during that situation to know I was doing my job right and the equipment wasn't.

Hope that this helps. Target Panic sucks, but can be overcome. A hinge release helps a lot. But your equipment has to be working properly or it will just mess with your head and cause frustration.

Good luck!

Hey Guys! Thought I would drop you an update on my shooting problems! So I watched a bunch of videos on target panic, did some up close blind bale shooting, and used a Nock On Shot Trainer to practice my form. All of these things helped tremendously however the biggest change that occurred was how I grip my bow. I had a discussion with a guy at Ross Outdoors here in Arizona and he offered some advice in regards to switching up the grip I used when I shoot. At his suggestion I adjusted my grip to where I was holding my bow by putting my index and middle finger on the front edge of the grip and curling my ring finger and pinky in along the side of the grip. Man what a difference! I immediately noticed that my arrows no longer push left, I can float the pin over the intended area with no problem, and I hit within a inch to dead nuts of where I am aiming. I have my confidence back! The attached pic is 30 yard shots I took last night! I am going to keep practicing and keep getting better! Thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• 20200729_185609.jpg
    20200729_185609.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
Back