Help Me Tune My Broadhead to Hit With Field Points

emrah1028

Ok, I'm shooting a first or second year PSE Nova. All whopping 55lbs of pull pushing Beaman ICS Hunter 340 with 125gr. Muzzy 3-blade broadheads.

It is a very accurate bow even with me behind the wheel with field points (also 125gr.) However, I'm getting erratic flight from the BH's installed. They mostly hit a few inches left of the FP;s, but I also see some spiraling too.

My understanding was that if there was a discrepency between BH's and FP's, it would be elevation (which there also is), not side to side. The arrows exhibit none of those spiraling or random flight/grouping problems the BH's do.

So how do I tune them to hit right?

Emrah

P.S. Is there another fixed BH that flies closer to FPs?

No BH will fly well if your bow is not tuned well. Move your rest in tiny increments (1/2 mm to 1 mm) to the right. As you shoot, you should see your BH and FP arrows come together.

Also, you should be checking your BH to make sure they are spinning true. To do this, hold your arrow, point down on a table or other hard surface. Spin the shaft between you fingers and look for a wobble at the end of the shaft/BH ferrule. If it wobbles, switch the BH to another arrow until you get one that spins true.

Your setup is fine. Try this and see if it helps. Good luck.

See, that's where I'm getting confused. If I move my rest to fix the BH poi, doesn't that mess up my FP poi?

Also, the spiraling thing puzzles me. It doesn't do it with FP and I can get very consistent groups even out to 40 yards. With the BH's, it's a crap shoot. One shot will hit correctly, then the next one will be a foot left and way high. The next close to the bullseye. Then the next low and left.

And I did number my arrows to see if one in particular was wonky. Nope. They are all good and they are all wonky.

Emrah

are you shooting the correct arrows for your draw length and poundage? to be shooting that arrow weight, your draw would have to be between 29 and 31 inches. between 26 and 28, you should be shooting a 400.

I shot the Nova up until last year. Get a stiffer splne arrow. Also use smaller broad heads. I used to use muzzy 4 blade 90 grain and there shot exactly the same as my field points.

Last edited:
You let me down John. I just knew you would tell him to throw that PSE in the trash and buy a Mathews! lol

oh crap...here we go with the holier than now my bow is better than your bow....lol

Of course...I shoot PSE as well... Boo Yah !

I even have some Bemans Emrah can have...the spine for my Nova was too weak...that is why I mentioned it.

Last edited:
Naa...emrah doesn't like to spend money :D

Ok, I read this first at 4:00 am while feeding the baby and I scared my 2 1/2 month old because I laughed so hard.

Although I would love to get a new, sexy bow, I figure I should bloody my Nova at least ONCE before I move on. Yes, she's a virgin. Oh, a few trees and marsh grass here and there, killed plenty of them, but nothing that bleeds red.

I really do love my old-tech bow. I just have never had to "tune" it before. I recently installed a string-stop so my THUNK wasn't so loud as my arrow sails leisurely at a whopping 260 fps (maybe) giving any wildlife with operational eardrums plenty of time to spring to the next county. It really did make quite a noticeable reduction in noise, but now I have the BH/FP problem. Didn't have that before. Thinking of taking it off.

Emrah

I had an older Hoyt Raptor I used for a couple years...killed the hell out of stuff. I got my Z7 through my local archery shop because they had a layaway program. So, I spend alot on the bow and accessories, but I was able to split it up over time. I gave the Hoyt to a buddy of mine who's still using it and killing stuff with it. When you do decide to move on to another bow, make sure you check the classified on archerytalk.com. There are some killer deals on used bows. Just don't get a Bowtech :D

Last edited:
No way a Nova at 55 pounds is underspined with a 340 spined arrow.

Couple of thoughts:

1) Have someone else shoot the bow
2) Have someone else check the broadheads
3) Try some different broadheads.

What kind of fletching is it? Blazer, 3", 4", straight fletched, helical?

Is there any fletching contact? Spray some foot spray on the fletchings and shoot, then see if you are getting contact anywhere.

My arrows are 29" long from the inside of the knock to the end of the insert. Pretty sure that's how I'm supposed to measure it. At that rate, with a 8.9 gpi, I'm at 383 grains with a 125 gr. broadhead.

I don't have the arrow in front of me right now to measure the fletching. It's plastic. If helical means they are slightly angled, then yes, that's what they are.

My rest is a Whisker Biscuit, so the fletching goes through it anyway. So how do I do the powder trick with that?

Emrah

Okay, that info helps. I shoot a 29" draw with a Mathews Q2, 65 pounds. I am not underspined with 340s and neither are you. I shoot 125 grain heads no problem.

Move your WB to a center shot alignment.

Have someone else shoot with you to see if they have the same results.

It could be hand torque on the grip, torque on the release, excessive contact on your face (pressing on the string with your nose), etc.

Have you spun the BHs yet to see if there is any wobble?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back