Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Montefeltro camo

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • A400

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 38069

Shotgun! I'm torn between the Benelli SBE, Benelli Montefeltro synthetic or the Beretta A400. All will be 12 gauge 28" and my new duck gun. I'm not asking for your option D preference, only if you have valid experience with any of these shotguns. I am leaning towards the montefeltro at $800, that's doable! Second, would be save up for the SBE3, but I've read about their extractor issues. For that kind of money, the weapon better function properly! Again, not a gun debate just leaning on my fellow HTers!

Thanks

Is there reasons behind these votes? I just want to make an informed decision. I realize it's splitting hairs but I truly want to know. It's important to me because I bird hunt a lot! Upland and Waterfowl!

I have an A400 and love it. I'm not a huge waterfowler by any means but it fits me well and I can at least hit clays with it.

When I bought it, it was a coin flip between it and the SBE3.....since the A400 was in the shop, it ended up in the 4473.

Not a fan of the A400. i will get flack for this, but it just feels cheap in the hand. Big fan of the SBE3 and never handled a Montefeltro. Most people don't cycle the 1,000 rounds through the gun before they start to complain about the extractor. Get all of your break in done before hunting season.
I would say save up for the best gun you can, you will be using it for a decade or longer and probably pass it down to someone you care about.

I voted the Montefeltro out of the three choices, as mentioned above the Beretta feels cheap to me and better can be had in that price range. There won’t be a reliability issue between the Benellis, so if you don’t shoot 3.5 (I don’t personally) it seems like the better choice. Take the money saved and put it toward all that breaking in the Inertia actions require. I have only shot the SBE and had an M2 for a while, so not direct experience with each gun in fairness.

I have shot SBEs several time as loaner gun and have found them sweet shooters. Also, a HUGE percentage of the waterfowl guides I have been around shoot them. I personally couldn't swallow the $$$ so I shoot a Benelli Nova, love it too!!!

I clicked the wrong damn one! For the money go with the montefeltro. Every bit as good of a shotgun I own both(actually mine is a sbe2). Your paying almost double for a 3.5" chamber you dont need and a ugly stock with rubber tread on it that warps over time. Look at it more like $800 for the montefeltro and an additional $700~ for new binos, spotter, tag, etc. Good luck whatever you choose.

Last edited:
Good point! I rarely shoot 3½"!! I find that 3" #2 shot also make quick work of geese! I will be buying the montefeltro.

Thanks for the input!

I clicked the wrong damn one! For the money go with the montefeltro. Every bit as good of a shotgun I own both(actually mine is a sbe2). Your paying almost double for a 3.5" chamber you dont need and a ugly stock with rubber tread on it that warps over time. Look at it more like $800 for the montefeltro and an additional $700~ for new binos, spotter, tag, etc. Good luck whatever you choose.
I completely agree that the rubber wrap in the handle is very ugly.

FWIW, I own three Benellis: M1 Field, SBE2, and a Legacy (Same geometry as a Montefeltro). I shoot all of them well, but there is a significant difference in feel between the first two and the Legacy. The geometry on the Legacy/Montefeltro is going to be similar to an Italian O/U, where the M1/2 or any of the SBEs will pull up more like an American gun.

I would definitely try them for feel. The Montifeltro is not just a 3" SBE 3, they have different geometry. I particularly prefer the elevated rib on the SBE/M2. If you like the feel of the SBE3 and dont want a 3.5", look at the M2 it is a much better match IMO.
Agreed, I Forgot about the m2, I also prefer the elevated rib on the sbe.

FWIW, I own three Benellis: M1 Field, SBE2, and a Legacy (Same geometry as a Montefeltro). I shoot all of them well, but there is a significant difference in feel between the first two and the Legacy. The geometry on the Legacy/Montefeltro is going to be similar to an Italian O/U, where the M1/2 or any of the SBEs will pull up more like an American gun.
Great info, this pushes me further towards the montefeltro as I have a Benelli Legacy and woul prefer the consistency!

Thank you

I find that 3" #2 shot also make quick work of geese!
I killed 6 geese this year with 3" #2.....out of my 20. They all hit the ground/water dead.....except for that one that ended up in a tree. GuNR let me down and I had to do some climbing.

He's up toward the top.
49359615318_2703d1d32f_b.jpg

He is thinking why are you taking a picture when you should be climbing the tree!
Thats a story that soon won't be forgotten. Awesome!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back