CVA Optima V2 LR DTC Load

USAF Ret

I finally decided to get out this year and start hunting more. Been 2 years since my son passed and I feel his spirit nudging me. I just applied for my tag to hunt Ft Bragg.

Black powder season opens at the end of the month. Last time I hunted black powder was with a 50 cal Hawkin style rifle. I got a mil discount from BPI and purchased the CVA Optima V2 LR DTC in 50 Cal. Nice looking little rifle with a thumbhole stock.

Looking for a few start loads and bullets for testing. I saw a few fellows at the range shooting 45. cal sleeved bullets out of their 50 cal. Thought that was interesting.

I am going to do some research, but if anyone has some good starting info, I would appreciate it.

Hornady bore drivers on 80g of Blackhorn shoots sub MOA at 100 yards on my CVA Optima. But, at least where I’m at, BH209 is getting scarce again…
Thanks. I am headed to the LGS tomorrow and they have a lot of powder and shooting supplies.

CVA recommends powerbelt bullets, and is what I'm shooting. White Hot pellets (2x50)

CVA recommends powerbelt bullets, and is what I'm shooting. White Hot pellets (2x50)
They cam back and told me 100 gr 777 and 295 Powerbelt Aerotip. Called LGS and they have 777 in stock, so I am heading out. Thanks.

My accura does very well with 105 gr Blackhorn and 290 gr Barnes TMZ.
They had Blackhorn at the store. I would have to buy the powder insert for the rifle and I hit my limit on spending. I have 777 pellets and 270 grain Power Belts. I did see the Barnes at the shop, but passed. Should have picked them up. I am hearing the Hornady FTX is pretty solid.

You'll be happy with 777. Honestly I can't justify the price of Blackhorn anymore. It's over $70 for 8oz here now.
The Hornady FTX do work very well also.
Thanks for that info. It is very helpful.

Yeah, Blackhorn was $65 a lb at the store. I might have bought it, but the shop had large rifle primers in stock for the first time in years, so I blew most of my budget on those. Haha.

Thanks for that info. It is very helpful.

Yeah, Blackhorn was $65 a lb at the store. I might have bought it, but the shop had large rifle primers in stock for the first time in years, so I blew most of my budget on those. Haha.
Can't blame you there!

I can’t say enough on how well Hornday bore drivers work. After 20 years muzzle loading they are by far the best I’ve shot.

You'll be happy with 777. Honestly I can't justify the price of Blackhorn anymore. It's over $70 for 8oz here now.
The Hornady FTX do work very well also.
This is where I'm at. I have half a jug from when it was still 10oz and 777 is my replacement.

About 100 grains of 777 with that?

EDIT: I see you ordered some bore drivers. 100 grains seems to be where a lot of people end up but if you have time to invest in load testing maybe starting down around 85 would be beneficial. There could be sweet spot in there.

IIRC, that's a 209 primed rifle so do yourself a favor and use Federal209A or CCI Mag primers and skip over those that are labeled "muzzleloader" they are anemic compared to others. Those hotter primers will help with the heavier powder charges but the world will not end if you can't find some. Cheddite primers seem to be readily available and are similar to Winchester 209s in "power" and will do the job.

You'll find that Power Belts are made with soft lead to obturate to the rifling. This can make them splat when they hit animals...good or bad depending on your train of thought. The will knock down a deer but as others said there are plenty of bullets to try but since you're on a short timetable I'd probably stick to what you can grab locally and having a Mil Discount from BPI makes power belts an economical option.

This is where I'm at. I have half a jug from when it was still 10oz and 777 is my replacement.

EDIT: I see you ordered some bore drivers. 100 grains seems to be where a lot of people end up but if you have time to invest in load testing maybe starting down around 85 would be beneficial. There could be sweet spot in there.

IIRC, that's a 209 primed rifle so do yourself a favor and use Federal209A or CCI Mag primers and skip over those that are labeled "muzzleloader" they are anemic compared to others. Those hotter primers will help with the heavier powder charges but the world will not end if you can't find some. Cheddite primers seem to be readily available and are similar to Winchester 209s in "power" and will do the job.

You'll find that Power Belts are made with soft lead to obturate to the rifling. This can make them splat when they hit animals...good or bad depending on your train of thought. The will knock down a deer but as others said there are plenty of bullets to try but since you're on a short timetable I'd probably stick to what you can grab locally and having a Mil Discount from BPI makes power belts an economical option.
Thanks. I picked up 1k W209 primers at the store. These are labeled shotgun primers.

I have about 3 weeks for testing and scouting. I will be able to test both in that time as new job does not start for a couple weeks.

How often do you clean between shots with 777 at the range?

Before you load your first shots, pop a few primers on an empty barrel. That helps clear out any residual lube. I'm thinking 3 shots is about a sweet spot though you may be able to push it before you develop a crud ring at the top of the charge. Guys will run a barely wet solvent treated patch then a couple dry ones. Do a full scrub when you get home, including removal of breech plug.

Something I have always done (again right or wrong) is to foul by popping a cap with a very small charge (5-10 grains). I've always preferred to shoot on that slightly fouled barrel.

Before you load your first shots, pop a few primers on an empty barrel. That helps clear out any residual lube. I'm thinking 3 shots is about a sweet spot though you may be able to push it before you develop a crud ring at the top of the charge. Guys will run a barely wet solvent treated patch then a couple dry ones. Do a full scrub when you get home, including removal of breech plug.

Something I have always done (again right or wrong) is to foul by popping a cap with a very small charge (5-10 grains). I've always preferred to shoot on that slightly fouled barrel.
Thanks for the info. I ordered the cleaning kit for it. Just running a patch at the range will help.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back