Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Hello all, from PA to Helena, MT

Lynx31

Hello All,

Tatanka45 and myself are somewhat new to the hunt talk forum but both recently moved to Helena, MT from State College, PA. We are long time hunting buddies in our mid twenties and came to Montana for the adventure and opportunity it has to offer. We are trying to wrap our heads around all the Montana hunting and fishing rules/regulations. It is a far difference from PA with how seasons and tags are set up. If anyone has any suggestions or good information on where to start please feel free to let us know, it would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Lynx31

Head over the the Montana FWP office and get your regs, ask questions. You're in a great area, wolf creek, Missouri River, hunting.

I know that those who come west from east of the Mississippi often find the western states' regulations a bit confusing, but it really shouldn't be intimidating or anything. Just pick up a copy, sit down and give it a read. They're written in plain English and not difficult to follow. You still have a couple of weeks to apply for antelope tags, elk B tags and deer B tags. You're in a wonderful location in Helena. You'll have access to tremendous hunting and fishing opportunities. Enjoy the journey and best of luck.

Read them, then read again. Then go down to the Fish Cop shop, and ask questions. They're very patient and informative and know full well that the rules and regs are a bit twisted and tangled up.

Hello All,

Tatanka45 and myself are somewhat new to the hunt talk forum but both recently moved to Helena, MT from State College, PA. We are long time hunting buddies in our mid twenties and came to Montana for the adventure and opportunity it has to offer. We are trying to wrap our heads around all the Montana hunting and fishing rules/regulations. It is a far difference from PA with how seasons and tags are set up. If anyone has any suggestions or good information on where to start please feel free to let us know, it would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Lynx31

I grew up in Helena so if you need some personal advice just PM me!

Hello All,

Sincerely,
Lynx31

Grew up in Hollidaysburg lol almost moved to MT but the GF wasn't having it, so now we're off to AZ. I don't have any info but figured I'd pop in and say hello from another central PA native.

Thanks for all the replies! We have been doing a lot of research and we're starting to get some of the rules and regs figured out but we still have a long way to go. We are planing to get out this weekend and hit the mountains just to get some familiarity with the are.

Thanks again everyone,
Tatanka45

Congrats on the relocation! I remember the excitement when I moved from Indiana to the West when I was 22yo. Fun times.

Excellent move! The hunting and fishing opportunities in MT are priceless! My wife and I moved away from Montana to the East once. Cannot believe I survived 8 months out there.

Welcome to MT! I'm also in Helena, late 20's and have lived here since college. PM me with any questions you have about the area.

Welcome to Helena! Feel free to shoot me a PM as well. I've been here for 9 years, still discovering places around town.

If you came here for the hunting and fishing, you won't be disappointed! Seems it took me a few years to get the hang of things, but it's worth it!

Thank you everyone for the supportive responses! Tatanka45 and I might take some of you up on your PM offers! Thanks!

Transfer from KS to Helena here. Moved here in Feb after living by Billings for a year. Best info on regulations I can give is to just read everything, and do the research. The info is there, just have to make sure you find it.

Being from PA, are you turkey hunters? I am also the Regional Director for the NWTF so let me know if you have any interest in helping us out here. Helena is our largest chapter banquet in the state, and we are always looking for more help!

Welcome to Helena--I've lived here for about 11 years, MT for close to 22 after growing up in Delaware. Hit me up if you have any questions.

Congrats on the move! You have taken the step i have been debating for a little while.. hopping from SW Indiana to Montana. But I'm currently tied down to a house remodel. Hope it all works out, I am heading to MT to hunt this fall after spending the last two years hunting CO.

Back