Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Heavy Pack Loads

AlaskaHunter

I know several backcountry hunters that hurt their backs and a couple that hurt their knee hauling 100+ loads.

My hunting partner and mentor taught me long ago to limit my pack weight to 60lbs.
With a 60-lb pack there is a better chance of recovering balance when a foot snags on an alder
or a foot slips on a wet lichen covered rock, etc.
I once shot a bull moose 3 miles from camp and packed it as ten 60lb trips.
Now at age 66, I have no back problems.

Is there any scientific study on the negative effect of heavy pack weights?

This study looked at women in resource deprived areas who carry large loads frequently. Not hunting, but I’m sure a lot of the same issues would be prevalent in carrying heavy loads of water and supplies versus heavy loads of elk meat and antlers.

Background:​

Heavy load carrying has been associated with musculoskeletal discomfort (MSD) and disability. However, there is a lack of research investigating this association in resource-constrained settings where heavy load carrying by women is common.

Objective(s):​

We assessed the impact of heavy load carrying on musculoskeletal pain and disability among women in Shinyanga Region, Tanzania, in an exploratory cross-sectional study.

Methods:​

Eligible participants were a convenience sample of women, at least 18 years of age, who passed a study recruitment site carrying a load. We collected information on load-carrying practices, including frequency and time spent carrying water, wood, agricultural products, coal, sand, or rocks, and measured the weight of the load carried at the time. Outcomes included self-reported MSDs, defined as experiencing pain lasting >3 days in the neck, head, back, knees, feet and/or ankles within the last 1 year, and related disability. Using multivariable logistic regression we assessed for associations between load carrying exposures and MSDs and disability.

Findings:​

Results showed a high prevalence of MSDs across the body regions assessed and evidence to suggest a relationship of back pain and related disability with several measures of load-carrying, including duration, frequency, and weight. Multivariable analyses revealed associations of increased load carrying exposures with low back pain (LBP) and related disability, including statistically significant increases in odds of LBP with increasing weight, total duration of load carrying/week and cumulative loads/week.

Conclusions:​

Findings indicate a substantial burden of MSDs and disability in this population of women who carry heavy loads daily. The extent of discomfort and disability increased with increasing exposure to various load-carrying measures, especially for LBP. Larger epidemiologic studies that definitively assess relationships of load carrying with MSDs and disability are warranted.

I didn’t know about this study, but I’m pretty sure I used it’s advice and did not carry to many text books at one time.

Here’s one that’s not studying back pain but the mental fatigue and decision making on soldiers and the military in relationships to pack weight.

I know several backcountry hunters that hurt their backs and a couple that hurt their knee hauling 100+ loads.

My hunting partner and mentor taught me long ago to limit my pack weight to 60lbs.
With a 60-lb pack there is a better chance of recovering balance when a foot snags on an alder

I'm sure there's studies, but its as much common sense as it is personal.

I stop at 60-70 ish when packing out meat, but circumstances dictate. However, I'm quite used to moving 50-150lbs+ daily of varying sizes and shapes over varying terrain, often in tennies, over varying distances. So it feels like just another day except I'm not doing a clean and jerk style motion up and down and up and down....

Anyway, here's some quick Google links.

What do you do get into pack shape and stay in shape?

With a well fitting pack, 60-70 pounds is quite comfortable. I'm 6'2" and have always been the sherpa.

Having said that, unless we are talking about moose quarters, most packouts are not as heavy as we make them out to be. Or ironically, a "little" Sitka Blacktail carried out in one load with your camp food and gear.

Not bragging though. Unlike the OP, at 62 I do have back and knee problems. You can't forget the extra 50 pounds around my middle, either.

If I'm packing out an animal and my pack doesn't weight 100 pounds, I generally put some extra rocks in there just to get to triple digits. Its not worth shooting an animal unless you have to carry an obscene amount of weight over many many miles. #Keephammering.

If I'm packing out an animal and my pack doesn't weight 100 pounds, I generally put some extra rocks in there just to get to triple digits. Its not worth shooting an animal unless you have to carry an obscene amount of weight over many many miles. #Keephammering.

And carry the rocks back with you to get the next load of meat.

I know a number of retired or ex military guys with bad backs and knees. I'd like to think there is a study of that out there.

While I've packed heavy packs before, but I don't anymore. I like to keep it around 80-90lbs as a max or less. I don't mind making another trip as needed. Its not worth getting hurt, like you said. I limit my weight to what I can hoist to my leg and slip a shoulder through the strap. More than that if I fall down, I can't get back up. :D. Getting older and not as tough as I used to be either.

The negative effects of heavy packs are more readily studied in a military setting. Injury is typically related to being physically unprepared to carry a load. This is a great study: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32191155/

The goal is to train ahead of time to mitigate the risk of injury in the field. We've found that the benefits of heavy pack training include enhanced endurance, strength, and mental resilience. It simulates backcountry scenarios, building muscle memory for hauling heavy loads for miles. This training prepares hunters for rigorous terrain, ensuring they stay agile and fatigue-resistant.

I have found for myself the 60lb-70lb weight pack is the sweet spot. More trips are easier to mentally work through than the additional pain in each step of a 100lb pack.

I start my fall pack workouts in mid-July. Here is what works for me:

Phase #1: 2 weeks, 30lb pack, 2 miles 3x per week.
Phase #2: 2 weeks, 40lb pack, 1 mile 3x per week.
Phase #3: 2 weeks, 60lb pack, 1 mile 2x per week.

When I do this consistently I find my over all quality of hunting increases dramatically through the season. Less sore, less tired in general.
Anyone else have a workout specific to pack weight that they care to share? I am always looking for better ways to get in shape.

I think body types determine a persons workout. Im a 63+ year old 175# male that maxes out at 60# in my pack workouts. This happens in August just before I head west for elk season. I do increase mileage and weight through out the fitness season and by the time I head west I avg. 8 miles and the 60#s on the days I train rucking. Im like you and increase weights all summer. I am currently at 45#s and 3 to 4 mile flat road walking. I will incorporate the trails in my area as the weather permits. Im retired so I am able to do daily walks, lifts, cardio, and as the season warms running and biking will be added. As I tell all my friends There Is No Off Season!

Anyone else have a workout specific to pack weight that they care to share? I am always looking for better ways to get in shape.
I am/was a 'career' electrician, by love..

Toolbelt, bags on each side, staples, rough screws/trim screws, odds and ends on left +tape measure. Other side is tools, wirenuts and misc for right hand stuff.

All in, and minimally equipped to not be burdened as you work sets you at 20# +/- your selected tools. Toss on the impact and call it 25#. Some days it's all day on, some days for an hour or two. Service days you'll carry more landing feeders.

They'll be days you'll pull small 18/2 or days of 750mcm and all in between.

Remember, tools and most used items on the dominant side, or complimentary placement towards mutual use (hammer right. Staples left. Grab staple with left, grab hammer with right-efficiency).

You start at 730a on Monday, don't be late.

I am/was a 'career' electrician, by love..

Toolbelt, bags on each side, staples, rough screws/trim screws, odds and ends on left +tape measure. Other side is tools, wirenuts and misc for right hand stuff.

All in, and minimally equipped to not be burdened as you work sets you at 20# +/- your selected tools. Toss on the impact and call it 25#. Some days it's all day on, some days for an hour or two. Service days you'll carry more landing feeders.

They'll be days you'll pull small 18/2 or days of 750mcm and all in between.

Remember, tools and most used items on the dominant side, or complimentary placement towards mutual use (hammer right. Staples left. Grab staple with left, grab hammer with right-efficiency).

You start at 730a on Monday, don't be late.
I should have been an Electrician! Dig all of that and the fascination of electricity…..! Laws of physics & processes.

Not sure how many crossfitters we have on the forum, I regularly do the "chad" workout which is timed 1000 24" box step ups with a 45lb ruck.

This is a bench mark workout for me to check my hunting season ability and pain tolerance. I also have a knee that's bordering on bad from getting run over by a car.

Not sure how many crossfitters we have on the forum, I regularly do the "chad" workout which is timed 1000 24" box step ups with a 45lb ruck.

This is a bench mark workout for me to check my hunting season ability and pain tolerance. I also have a knee that's bordering on bad from getting run over by a car.
Curious what amount of time this takes. Is that 45-60 mins?

Usually more around the 60 minute mark. It's a bit, but that's when you start to see what's breaking down. I pay attention to my knee tracking and see if it's lungs or legs or back that's my weak spot.

I incorporate a 30 lb weight vest in my workouts consistently through the year (runs, WODs, etc.). Then as the fall gets closer I will start doing more ruck type marches with a 50 lb sandbag in the pack with increasing distances. I also typically do 1 or 2 rucks with two sandbags (100 lb) but those will be shorter distances…more so just as a reminder for the body what a heavy pack feels like.

Back