Health Insurance

There are a lot of physician owned practices that have partial ownership from large corporations as well. I have a hard time seeing how patient care can fit with short term incentives that go along with being a publicly traded company. One example:

View attachment 202125
True. Again, it’s a problem with how the system is setup. Reimbursements across healthcare are based on doing stuff TO people. Ie; an interventional cardiologist who placed a stent will make a boatload of $$. A primary care provider who busts their ass coaching you to stay healthy makes very little.

True. Again, it’s a problem with how the system is setup. Reimbursements across healthcare are based on doing stuff TO people. Ie; an interventional cardiologist who placed a stent will make a boatload of $$. A primary care provider who busts their ass coaching you to stay healthy makes very little.
Bingo.

In my profession clinicians tend to target and fight over the segment of population with money, and much of the ‘stuff’ done, doesn’t need to be done in the first place, sadly. It’s not really healthcare. The large portion of society that actually needs dental ‘stuff’ is often priced out or there is little incentive to see them.

There are some preventative based systems that get their money up front to manage large blocks of patients. Be it Medicaid, HMO, etc. I’ve seen some of these organizations take it to the other extreme of not wanting to do anything. They already have the money in hand, their goal is not spending it on supplies and labor. Neglect can be an issue here.

I don’t know what the answer is but I’ve nearly lost my faith in the private sector of health care. Uncle was a nurse for decades and came out the other end pretty bitter.

Damn, I totally understand you. I recently thought about this too. I'm not sure if my health insurance and the insurance company are good enough. I started looking for information on the Internet for comparison. I eventually came across a review on remedigap.com. This review describes health insurance plans in great detail. Any teapot can figure it out. Thus, I realized that my health insurance plan was not very profitable. Yes, I quickly ran to change it. In fact, sometimes it is very useful to think about such things. You need to think about yourself first.

Last edited:
I get the point you are trying to make, but that is due to the fact that a primary care has 3 years of training post medical school and isn't doing a procedure (insurance), and the cardiologist has 8 to 9 years of training post medical school and is doing a procedure. Also the hours they work are wildly different.

But yes our system would work better if folks lived healthier lifestyles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back