Headscratcher

Once you submit footage for airing, don't they retain the right to air in perpetuity?

From what I understand in talking to some other producers, that is the case in their agreements. For us, the answer is "Nope."

I have two attorneys who are involved with OYOA, behind the scenes. They are very versed in these agreements and it always results in a big "back and forth" between legal minds on each side. It costs me nothing for legal costs, so I will press for the deal that gives them what they need to air the shows, and nothing more.

Our license agreements are "term certain," not perpetual. Our license with them expired December 31, 2010.

Our agreements are also restricted in use of the footage. We do not give streaming, web, VOD, or DVD rights, only cable and satellite TV rights.

Ours are also territory specific. We only give US rights, not foreign.

Lots of other terms included in these agreements, all of which get negotiated.

I look at it this way. If I am going to pay a group for the right to have our footage aired, they are going to get a very, very, restricted and limited license. Only what is needed for them to broadcast.

From their standpoint, it is smart to ask for the moon and hope you just get planet Earth. I think they are successful in getting the moon from most producers. I don't fault them for that. Yet, they also understand that some will not go along with that request.

If the legal minds at OC thought they had rights, I suspect that video would still be up and used for promo, given the work it takes to put that together.

Randy and Rinella...how ironic.

Two of the most intellectual guys I've ever met. Bad decision to use their footage without permission. The production intern who created the clip just got demoted.

Awesome, thanks for the info.
Just curious and it seemed the network would require the perpetual license since they are usually in the drivers seat. Good to see you retained all your future rights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back