Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

HB288 Wyoming fee increases

And those are some big jumps in bison and moose tag prices! Moose was maybe low compared to sheep and mountain goat though and closer now to a state like CO.

I missed it the first time too. It is in there right at the start. It's the "in addition to" prices.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Ok thanks. Got it now too. Good thing you're a lucky SOB and drew this year huh? :D

Sorry your statement doesn't apply to me, I have 4 kids and I take them fishing and hunting with me every chance I get. Enjoy every minute of it too!

If everyone thought like you there would be no fish for your kid to catch because your elk fees could not be used for any fish.

This statement from post #14 shows just how selfish and hypocritical you are.
But I am opposed to paying more for my hunting tags so the CPW can stock more 10" trout in every creek and pond, and everything else unrelated to the tag I'm buying.

Last edited:
I was lucky but it wasn't a super rare tag or anything. Just got to hunt a couple years early. I won't complain though.

It will be interesting to see what the price increases do to the demand on the special tags. Especially with the special tag becoming the most expensive nonresident elk tag in the west. I don't think we are going back to the days where folks are drawing a general tag on a 2nd choice in the special draw, but I don't think there will be very many people not drawing a 1st choice general tag in the special draw next year.

Wow ... I was already wondering why I was buying WY PP. This makes it even more clear that I wish I had saved my money to go hunt Axis deer in Hawaii or other exotics in New Zealand or Australia. By the time I get to a decent WY Elk tag it will cost more than the ticket down under.

Sorry your statement doesn't apply to me, I have 4 kids and I take them fishing and hunting with me every chance I get. Enjoy every minute of it too!

Well good then, feel free to retract your statement that 10 inch trout are a waste of money and time, pay your fees, find a crow, and start plucking...I hear they aint bad wrapped in bacon.

I'm not a Wyoming resident, but if I remember correctly weren't the general funds something that happened a few years ago when the game and fish wanted to increase fees but it didn't get passed and instead the legislature kicked in general funds to cover post retirement health benefits for the employees or something like that out of the general fund?

Wouldn't it somewhat make sense that if now they get the fee increase that they wouldn't need the extra money kicked in from the general fund?

Seems like it is just back to a level playing field where the department pays it's own way like almost all of the other game and fish departments in the western states.

I would like to see if there are no General Fund $$$ funding the agencies, then the Legislators/Politicians have to keep the hell out of any Fish and Game decisions, science, etc....

It will be interesting to see what the price increases do to the demand on the special tags.

Yea definitely.

Buzz- Are the G&F/legislators looking at the incredible demand for tags in WY and they figure the sky is the limit for tag fees? On one hand, it might help with point creep but then with each price increase, at least a few people are being priced out of being able to afford a tag.

What I can't find in this bill anywhere is a footnote in the bill that has anything to do with general funds. I went back and found the bill that provided the general funds back in 2014 and it read to me like the general funds were for 2 years only to pay for grizzly bear research and employee health insurance. It had a 2 year timeline in the bill. So unless another bill is passed authorizing the funding it was just going to go away. No special footnote required, it just went away in the sunset.

If your idea of ROI isn't about watching a kid drag a 10 inch stocked trout through the dirt...you're one miserable individual, and are missing the whole point of the outdoors.

The selfishness displayed by some sportsmen is really something.

This. I want Fish and Game stocking urban ponds for kids to fish. I want Fish and Game managing Wolverines, something I will NEVER see. I want research being done on Sockeye salmon in the Upper Salmon River, something I know I will never be able to catch.

I also want Fish and Game driving new 4x4 PU's, reliably, so that they can catch poachers wherever they are, and, I want their employees to be well paid, well trained. We have had our Fish Cop's shot and killed, so they deserve everything a regular cop gets in training and tools.

Again I never see you guys wanting or advocating Colorado's system in your state. And if you were honest, I bet you would be opposed to it if Wyoming attempted to mimic the Colorado model

It isn't just about your 4 kids.

It is about the kid across the street. And the one down the block. And the one living in the crappy apartment with a single mom.

You really aren't helping yourself in this thread.

Well good then, feel free to retract your statement that 10 inch trout are a waste of money and time, pay your fees, find a crow, and start plucking...I hear they aint bad wrapped in bacon.

Catch & Release practiced here. I say lower the limit from 4 to 2 fish for the people that keep them for a start in reducing hatchery expenses. :)

I am not opposed to fishing by any means, I just think that hunters have had a very disproportionate burden placed on them with little ROI as you say. They take away the limited big game access program we had due to lack of funds and then brag about buying a fishing easements.

Again, would you trade Wyoming's model for Colorado's? just curious? And do you fault me for wanting hunting to be a better outdoor experience for Coloradans?

Yea definitely.

Buzz- Are the G&F/legislators looking at the incredible demand for tags in WY and they figure the sky is the limit for tag fees? On one hand, it might help with point creep but then with each price increase, at least a few people are being priced out of being able to afford a tag.

Not at all...its 100% politics most of the time, as it is this time.

The only, and I mean ONLY reason this tag fee increase moved was because they stripped/saved 6 million in general funds. We all knew from the get-go it was going to pass in some form once they hooked it to the budget bill. Foolishly, we thought it may be an avenue to regain commission authority. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, and it was passing regardless. I also have to give credit to Senator Hicks, he presented a well thought out amendment and spent considerable time researching, etc.

They have routinely denied any tag fee increases that Sportsmen have carried to the Legislature the last 4-5 years. Including Resident only fee increase legislation.

This was about saving general fund money, not helping the GF or GF budget.

Once G&F funding is tied to the "general fund" then all forms of additional funding(special stamps, etc.) fail.

Wyoming continues to head in the wrong direction...

It isn't just about your 4 kids.

It is about the kid across the street. And the one down the block. And the one living in the crappy apartment with a single mom.

You really aren't helping yourself in this thread.

Too bad you haven't met me in person, I really am a nice guy :) I'm willing to bet that if you or anyone else that I'm disagreeing with on the forum about Colorado's funding would happen to meet in the field, we'd probably get along just fine.

And just a little FYI, I have taken the kid across the street duck hunting, my wife's co-workers kid pheasant hunting as well as let my own kids bring their friends hunting & fishing. As Doc Holiday said "There! now we can be friends again!"

Buzz...will these newly increased fees start in 2018? Thanks for keeping us updated on WY state of affairs. I'd comment, but I'm already too embarrassed about MT trying to tell WY how to manage their elk herds.

I question anyone that would question Buzz. Damn man is always right. Especially anything political. He is the man.

I did question him on a Oryx shot years ago. Oryx is built different. Shoot them low,

I questioned Buzz's shot. Far back and looked like a bad shot.

He was quick to inform me that it was a quartering shot to the heart.

I do not think I have ever disagreed with any of his posts since then!

And damn, He does know state politics!

Ouch...seems like this could draw folks to hunt/apply in other states with P.P. fees like that and no real chance of catching up with them.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back