Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Hawaii- the Big Island to do’s?

MarvB

Found out that we’re going to the Big Island of Hawaii in August this year. I’ve been to Maui, Kauai, and Oahu before but never to this island.

I read through the Maui and Kauai threads, any “can’t miss” suggestions for this one? Will be staying 5 days in Puna and 5 days in Kona.

I didn't think it was green, looked regular brown to me. Decent little hike in or some of the scary locals will let you ride their jeeps for a fee. Always windy there, the trees actually grow sideways! People fish for marlin and tuna off south point (southernmost point in the US).

Definitely Volcanoes Natl Park. Kona coffee plantations if you are into coffee. Excellent fishing out of Kona. Good snorkeling around Captain Cook Memorial. I think Punalu'u beach is the black sand beach south of Kona, short hike in usually not too crowded. Mauna Kea is the big mountain, usually snow on top and pretty cool drive. These are all Kona side things to do.

I didn't think it was green, looked regular brown to me. Decent little hike in or some of the scary locals will let you ride their jeeps for a fee. Always windy there, the trees actually grow sideways! People fish for marlin and tuna off south point (southernmost point in the US).

Definitely Volcanoes Natl Park. Kona coffee plantations if you are into coffee. Excellent fishing out of Kona. Good snorkeling around Captain Cook Memorial. I think Punalu'u beach is the black sand beach south of Kona, short hike in usually not too crowded. Mauna Kea is the big mountain, usually snow on top and pretty cool drive. These are all Kona side things to do.

Wife’s sister used to live on the island, said to avoid the local run to the beach unless $20 for a thrill ride is on my to do list. I’ll prob see how far a hike it is but, as you stated, I’ve also heard it’s really not all that “green”.

Def want to take in some volcano activity, love me some coffee (esp with fixings), and will look into a half day charter more than likely. The one place we’re staying in Puna (below) is tucked back into the forest and evidently has its own hot springs so that should be relaxing!

B23274C3-63A2-4E10-8720-52F8A2571911.jpeg

Heading to Kona in March for a week.

Found this thread figured an opportunity to see if any adventures of the following have HT recommendations.

We have snorkel tours, night scuba with Manta rays, whale watching tours via:

Recommendations for:

Fish charters ?
Free dive spearfishing?
Other options in the Kona area for fishing or?

@MarvB , @cfree , @elkduds , others?

Thanks in advance.

Haven't been to da Big Island since 9/11, literally. Wife and I were in the air returning from Kona when the towers fell, crazy. . .
If you already know about visiting the whales, volcanoes and coffee growers, all I can add on Kona side is this, no guide needed:

Snorkel Beach aka Kahalu’u Beach Park​

Turtles seem to like to come in here an hang out. Maybe because its well protected from the open ocean or maybe because it’s shallow and the algae grows more here. Either way, it’s a great spot not only to snorkel but to see turtles while doing it.

Upcountry there are the high peaks of Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa, and this sportsman's paradise for upland and big game hunting: https://www.city-data.com/articles/Parker-Ranch-Kamuela-Big-Island-Hawaii.html

We are looking forward to a family wedding on windward Oahu this October, after that we'll spend a week on the Hilo side of the Big Island. Waterfalls, taro valleys, lava flowing into the ocean, Hilo's very Japanese culture, possibly best farmer's market in da world, bra.

Great add for the snorkel location @elkduds . Thanks.
@glass eye & @Salmonchaser , did you bring your shotguns or did they provide? If you brought with you, recall if they had loaners?

Glass eye, where did you hunt turkeys? I'll research both queries, though if you recall.

Probably nothing you haven't already seen or read:
Green sand beach
Black sand beach
Coffee farms
Macadamia nut farms
Chocolate farms
Drive/hike to the top of mauna loa
Helicopter over the active volcano
Hike the national park
Hunt turkey/goats/pigs as mentioned above
Fly to molokai and hunt axis deer

Regarding spearfishing, the operation called Blue Water Hunter Hawaii came highly recommended. The wife decided against going but I was very interested.

@Sytes

Well we didn’t do any fishing this last trip but we did the have a great time playing tourist on the Big Island. The wife’s parents were both native of Hawaii (they’re about 90% Portuguese)

Couple of things I can suggest- If you do like diving/snorkeling catch one of the manta ray night snorkeling tours, they are fuggin insane if you hit them right. The lights reflecting off them underwater is a total trip! We stayed one week in Kailua-Kona (it was “ok”) and another week over in Pahoa at a place called Puna Rainforest Retreat/Hot springs which was FANTASTIC and I’d do again in a heartbeat. Amazing place and super laid back plus you run into wild pigs on your hike (wife said NO BOW but?).

Other things we did was to hike around Volcanoes NP and hike in to be able to see the lava flow at night which was cool (easy walk); hit up some of the black sand beaches at Punaluu and Kehena (I’m guessing on all this Hawaiian spelling by the way) and the green sand beach (only four of them in the world evidently) at Papakolea.

If you’re into donut type sweets you gotta go for fresh baked malasadas at either Punaluu Bake Shop or at the Tex Drive in (my hole in the wall FAV). You’ll have a sugar high for hours and a Kona coffee jolt along with it!

We did a lot of driving/exploring, got in a couple of big thunderstorms and WARNING HERE if its getting towards dusk and you are driving around in the mountains between the volcanoes you WILL be dodging wild pigs, sheep, and goats everywhere so head on a swivel… I didn’t want to buy them a new rental car!

Also we went our horseback riding for 3-4 hours up at the Ponoholo Ranch (near Kohala Mountain) which was a blast if you’re horse people. Went with the owner’s granddaughter- working cattle ranch with lots of wildlife as well and they let you do your own thing for the most part.

We usually go to Mexico for a few weeks each year so Hawaii was (again) just to see some family history but I’m glad we went. I had been to three other islands multiple times but this was the first time to the Big Island and its definitely far different- you can get touristy if you want or literally be out in the middle of BFE pretty quickly. I’m just finishing up some SAR training to day but will throw up a few pics if I’ve got time later. Hope this helps a little and you guys have fun!!

I think my wife and I decided on an Oct Kona trip. Big island is my favorite island. We will be going on the night Manta Ray snorkel, deep sea fishing, and kayak/snorkeling at captain cook. I have been numerous times and only one time did we hit a great lava flow in an area where it can be seen. If it is flowing right…definitely go. The drive from Kona to Valcano was awesome and we even had snow in the drive over the top last Jan/Feb.

Enjoy!

Thanks all! Some great additions/thoughts to fit in to our planned events.
Much appreciated!

Heading to Kona in March for a week.

Found this thread figured an opportunity to see if any adventures of the following have HT recommendations.

We have snorkel tours, night scuba with Manta rays, whale watching tours via:

Recommendations for:

Fish charters ?
Free dive spearfishing?
Other options in the Kona area for fishing or?

@MarvB , @cfree , @elkduds , others?

Thanks in advance.
The manta ray night dive is worth it. Was a pretty neat experience just hope you have calm water because laying on surface looking down at a light will start a lot of chumming if you know what I mean

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back