Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Had a wolf encounter

PFUNK

Wish I would have had time to get some video rolling, but it happened too quick. I was out turkey hunting this morning and had just got the decoys up and had settled in. Not ten minutes later I glance to my right and I can see something white coming along the treeline. I am just getting short glimpses as it passes through small openings but I'm thinking its a coyote coming along the edge of the trees. If it holds its line, it's gonna come by at about 5 yards. Well.... it doesn't hold it's line, but instead starts heading away from the trees and out into the open. That's when I see it's a lot bigger doggy than a coyote. It proceeds to sprint to my decoys and SMOKES my jake decoy. The decoy goes flying, the stake snaps in two, and the wolf doubles around and sprints back where he came from. It was a pretty cool thing to see, and it all happened in maybe 5 seconds. Needless to say, if the gobbling hadn't fully woken me up, this sure did.

Amazing! That's something most will never see in their lifetime.

This was down the Bitterroot in Montana. It was the last thing I was expecting to see this morning. I haven't see wolves here before and hadn't even seen any wolf sign whatsoever. But there is a herd of elk and lots of deer in the area so the wolves are around I guess.

On several occasions I have had coyotes rush a decoy, one pup came in all the way, knocking it over. Once they figured it was a decoy, they hightailed it out of there. A little different thing to have a top-end predator right in front of you!!

Very cool. I called in a wolf turkey hunting last year too but he didn't pounce our decoys!

He was begging for some no.4. I sure wish you had a video to share. I would live to see that.
Had the same type of thing happen to me only when I finally got a good look it was a healer and a Rottweiler mutt I had called in. Not near as cool..

I read an account some years back of a hunter who was attacked by a mountain lion while turkey calling. The hunter wound up with the lion lying dead across his legs. The lion (or wolf in this case) is in full predator mode here - he may press home the attack if he sees movement.

I read an account some years back of a hunter who was attacked by a mountain lion while turkey calling. The hunter wound up with the lion lying dead across his legs. The lion (or wolf in this case) is in full predator mode here - he may press home the attack if he sees movement.

He would have been in for a rude awakening had he tried that move. He would have had 25 yards to cover and I know he'd have had a minimum of 2 rounds of #5 federal in him before he got to me. But after this went down, I was definitely looking over my shoulders more as I was calling. You guys think I should call up FWP and let them know about this? I know there will be some other hunters in the area as the season goes on.

Back