Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

H&S Precision Stocks

Just on M24s. Pretty good from what I have seen, but they cannot match the weight of a MCM edgetech.

I would subjectively put them somewhere in between a Bell and Carlson and a MCM.

I have looked at them in the past, and in the end put on B&C Medalists or Alaskans for about $100 less. From a performance perspective I couldn't find much difference, they both have the Aluminum bedding block, good pads, nice fit/finish. I liked the more matte finish of the HS, but it was too much to pay for the difference.

You ever had a stock with a Mercury Recoil Reducer? Don't really have a desire to put a muzzle brake on.

Howa 1500, .300 Win Mag that I won from a turkey federation raffle. I like the sound of that MCM Edge but I'm almost thinking that could be too light. The Mercury recoil reducer would add 8 ounces to the HS Stock that is originally 37.6 ounces. I bet a high end recoil pad would be a better option.

Shiloh Sharps puts the Mercury recoil reducers in rifles and it sounds like they work pretty good. I have not shot one myself.

Yeah, I would think if you have that much weight and a good pad, you would probably be alright. What does the barreled action weigh?

I had to go and look it up and I'm glad I did. Barreled action is 5.2 pounds. That edge is sounding more appealing.

Why are you worried about weight? Aren't you going to be sporting a 92oz rifle by the end of the weekend?
For the sake of my marriage I think the stock might be the better option haha. Some liquid courage on Saturday might change that opinion.

IMG_3607.jpg

This is a Manners SL. This butt pad might be what you're looking at. It's pretty thick, as well as soft. This rifle is a 6.5 SAUM. It has a Vias brake. Recoil is less than a .243. I'm not a big fan of brakes either, but for a dedicated hunting rifle it's not hard to get by....range time and trigger work is what makes you a better field shot. A lightweight .300 WM wont get much practice time with me unless it has a brake. Only my opinion...

I have an H-S and a B&C. The HS has a solid, quality feel, and tactile exterior, but is heavier. The BC dropped straight in and the H-S needed two minutes of tinkering. I like the HS a lot except for one thing and that is the recoil pad. The guys on line joked it is called a magnum pad because it makes every rifle feel like a magnum- and they are right. This is going to sound weeny but mine is only a 6mm and I can't imagine any 6mm with more recoil now. The factory ADL was defintely better. You can order one and have them put on a pachmyer decelerator which would be my strong recommendation. Thing is by the time you do that the cost is starting to make it less viable. Frankly, I slapped the B and C on a Browning a-bolt 260 and was amazed at what it did for accuracy. The Stalker would sling wild if rested towards the muzzle. B and C don't care at all. Rock solid. That factory stock was skinny and felt awesome to carry but kicked like no 260 ever should. The B and C made it a tack driver and absolutely cured recoil. Stark difference. It is a little thick in the wrist area compared to the original Stalker and (thankfully) the butt pad is larger and uses a Pachmyer. I love it and think they are the best deal going. One minor flaw was that the factory trigger guard screw was a hair to short to work with the B and C so I replaced it with a longer one. Just a guard screw, not an action one so no biggee.
This help?

I have a Remington 700 SF CDL in 300 win mag that I dropped into an HS precision. The HS was just slightly heavier than the factory wood stock which I didn't mind because I thought it would help tame the recoil. It looks better and is more durable. Yes recoil is strong, but its a 300 so what do you expect. I can sit down at a bench and shoot a 4 shot group, let the barrel cool and do it over and over again until I've shot a full box. That's about all my shoulder can handle though. I have several HS precisions and they do not seem to tame recoil at all but I really like the fit and feel. Knowing what it feels like now, I'm scared to put the 300 in a MCM edge, but I have no experience with mcm's so maybe it's not that bad?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BullelkSD
Back