Gunnison elk hunt, gmu 55

infldr3

Once again came up empty. We hunted second season gmu 55, in 2010. Saw some elk above timberline late in the evening, but still no luck. Did anyone else out there have the same luck, or did you bag a nice one? We hunted lost canyon..... No sign. We hunted in Taylor park and saw 15 above timberline. I know secert spots should be secret, but if you have some tips where you have seen more then 15 elk, please help?

I killed my first bull in unit 55 archery.Can't help you at all with rifle,but if you bowhunt it I could get you to a decent spot.I wouldn't say its loaded with elk,but I never had problems locating a few in there

Gmu 55

I have hunted this unit several times during bow season and saw elk every time. Last year I hunted this unit during the second rifle for the first time. Saw elk up high day before season started and then it began to snow and did not quit to Wednesday. I hunted past Taylor Park reservoir. All the people we saw that week said the same thing only saw moose and know elk. They were there because we kept seeing tracks by our tent. May be they were getting the heck out of there. Had better luck at seeing elk during bow season.

Have you been seeing deer up above timberline this year yet?? I have a muzz tag for deer and when I was on a family trip last week I saw very few above timberline when I was glassing. strange year with all the green down lower.

Hey Schmalts, while I admit I havent been in the Gunny this year, I camped in 55, 551, 66, & 67 last summer and I was amazed at the lack of Deer in the Gunny basin. That winter a few years back really did some damage to the herd. In years past before the big winterkill we would see deer all over, but last year we only saw a few here and there. Seen the most deer in 551, dont have a reg handy but can you hunt there too?

Good luck on your hunt, if you bring home a nice buck this year you definately earned him!

Last edited:
I too could help out if you were looking for archery areas. I hunted 55 last year for deer and was mildly disappointed in the deer I found (even though I knew the odds were long that I could find a smoker due to the recent past harsh winters) and I am convinced that it could be 4-5 years of mild winters before the deer will bounce back. I hope it can do it much sooner, but I am afraid it will take some time. The place is special though with great genetics and habitat!

Gunnison GMU 55 Elk Hunting. Questions, advise

I'm headed back to gmu 55 to hunt Elk again (2nd season). For the past 5 years I've hunted the same area and I've killed nothing. I've seen lots of deer, but the elk are few and far between. My questions to you ELK KILLING MACHIGNES, where should I hunt? I typically hunt the lost canyon, union park, double top mountain areas. Please let me know if you can help. I'm just looking for new areas to hunt, where I might see more then 2 elk in 1 week. Any advise will do. Also, if anyone has info on migration patterns that would help as well..

Thanks.

I bow hunted that unit years ago and got into bulls every day but just couldn't put it together. I've been back twice with rifle and got skunked both times.

Back