Gunnison, Elk Hunt, GMU 55

infldr3

So, ive hunted this area for the past 2 rifle seasons (2nd season) and have come up with nothing. Ill ive seen is 2 spike bulls in the 2 years of hunting here. My questions is where are all of the animals?? I know that the animals are probably high due to the past years weather, which was 70 degrees and sunny. If this is the case this year, where should I hunt. Can anyone help me with this???

I typically hunt in lost canyon, but if the weather is warm again, where should I go??

LT

I don't know the area that well, but elk are elk, and there are plenty to go around in 55...

Hunt as high as you can, they won't move down until the snow piles up, especially in hot weather. Hunt the north slopes if its hot and black timber. Look for the best grass on the mountain. Its usually burned off on the south/west slopes, but will still be green in the lesser exposed areas.

Elk can move a long ways in a short time. Many areas are void of them for much of the year, I'm talking square miles of mountian, just because you hiked in 3-4 miles doesn't make it an elk hangout.

Elk leave lots of sign if they're using an area heavily. If you're not finding the sign, keep hiking. Don't waste time and energy in an area that doesn't hold elk, or only holds one or two. There is tons of great elk country that has very few elk in it.

Granted not all areas are the same, but from what I've seen of unit 55, I'd bet hunting high (tree line) and hunting north slopes and black timber pockets will get you an elk. Also get off the trail, and away from the people. Less 'popular' hunting spots tend to be more popular with the elk.

Good luck on your hunt.

Definately! This year especially. The first rifle season in CO is going to be a slaughter for big bulls...............get high and late morning start hitting the timber

Gunnison Elk Hunting GMU 55

So for the past 5 years I have hunted are 55 (2nd season) and have not killed a elk. We have had great luck killing big bucks, but the elk have been a big pain in the ass. We hunt lost canyon, taylor park, and the double top mountain area. My question is has anyone had any luck killing elk in this area? I know its not proper to ask another hunter where do they typically see elk in this area, but I now resorting to this because I cant find them. So, where do you professional elk killing machines typically find and kill elk in area 55? If you shot one last year, during 2nd season, where the heck did you find them?

I'm just coming out and asking, because I'm tired of being skunked!!

Cheers,

if you haven't seen elk in 5 years it might be time to change locations or how your hunting them. just a thought

Attached are a couple files that might help a little.

I am not a professional elk killing machine by any means, but if you're not seeing them, you have to go look somewhere else. It sounds simple and I don't say that to be an a-hole, I say that as it's some of the best elk advice I've ever received, picked it up from this site actually. Good luck!

Attachments

• GMU055.pdf
    188 KB · Views: 1,670
  • SWHuntGuide.pdf
    316.7 KB · Views: 587
Attached are a couple files that might help a little.

I am not a professional elk killing machine by any means, but if you're not seeing them, you have to go look somewhere else. It sounds simple and I don't say that to be an a-hole, I say that as it's some of the best elk advice I've ever received, picked it up from this site actually. Good luck!

Thanks for the help buddy. If we get some this year ill let you know.

Back