Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Gulf Shores, AL Fishing

buckykm1

Around the 1st of March, I am going down to Gulf Shores, AL, to visit my in-laws for a week or 2.
I am use to fishing Lake Michigan for Salmon and Trout, i have downriggers and planner boards if needed, and rods set up to do almost any kind of fishing.
Anyway, i am taking my boat down with me this year, i have bought a map of the near shore Gulf and Mobile Bay, it goes about 10 miles out into the Gulf, it shows depths, ship wrecks, reef and oil rigs. if need be ?, i would be comfortable running 10 to 15 miles out into the Gulf, if that is what it takes to catch some fish, my father in law will be fishing with me.
I have fished the ocean some, but really need some help. at that time of year, how should i fish ?, and for what ?

Thanks for any advise that you are willing to share.

Kevin

I have fished Destin, FL a few times. Offshore, vertcial fishing over wrecks. 2-3 oz. Slip sinker over barrel swivel, fluorocarbon leader and circle hook. (Do not set the hook like we do with regular hooks...hard to resist) . We used big live bait that we caugfht on sibiki rigs to catch the amberjack. We used cut slabs of bloody fillets for the grouper.
We have also fished the bridges where the "bays" dump into the gulf. We used a similar scaled down rig with 1 oz. lead, smaller live bait or dead raw shrimp from the fish market. We would cast our rig right next to the pilings or in the holes. We caught redfish, bluefish, and sheepshead. All good fun, and we were able to fish on the windy days. (and not get seasick) We also casted 1/4 - 1/2 oz jigs and plastics for flounder and other smaller fish in the marinas around the docks. You may want to get a cast net to catch your own bait. We would throw it back in the bays, around the docks of the big fancy houses. The bait were a lot like big shiners and worked great for redfish. One day we ran down the coast and looked for birds. When we found them diving and feeding we trolled through and around them with diving crankbaits (like musky baits) and managed to catch a nice tuna. Lots of options. Maybe someone that lives down there will be able to give you better info. Best wishes!

Thank you, for the info. my father in law is 71, i just want him to catch some fish and have fun.

I will check into one of those cast nets.

Kevin

From Gulf Shores you're not far from the marshes and rigs off of Louisiana...greatest fishery on the planet! You can fish anything from redfish and speckled trout in 3' of water out to the blue water for marlin and tuna. In between you have the shelf rigs with snapper, amberjack, cobia, etc. Lots of options!

I have fished a lot offshore out of gulf shores orange beach area. During march the gulf could be really rough and not so enjoyable. Cobia normally show up sometime in march. They run along the beach, are fun to catch and great to eat. You could probably catch all of the reef fish during that time but some will not be in season. Inshore fishing may be the way to go if the gulf is rough.

I fished out there someplace... with a charter and we caught red snapper and bass. If you find the ship wrecks I dont know why you would not find the fish.

My family has a house on Dauphin Island, so I have fished a lot to the west of OB.

That time of year can be pretty slow. The pelagics are gone south and it can be rough getting offshore because of the weather. Also red snapper season usually isnt open then, and its tough to get bait through them for other bottom fish. One bet is the Dixie bar, a big sand bar running perpendicular to fort Morgan, for big redfish. It's a little early, but may be worth trying. It should be on the maps. Use live baitfish up to 6" or small crabs on bottom while drifting across the bar. when you find the depth they are at you can anchor.

My favorite for that time of year is sheepshead fishing. They are spawning and are congregated on all the near shore structures. Try the near shore oil rigs, bridges over the intercoastal waterway, or jettys in deeper water. Live shrimp or fresh shucked oysters on a small bait holder hook are they way to go. Fish as close to the structure as you can safely get. If you shuck oysters the discarded shells act as chum. They are LIGHT biters and it takes a minute to get used to it. Beware the fins, gill plates, and teeth. They are good eating though and fight like hell.

PM me if you have any questions.

Thank you

My family has a house on Dauphin Island, so I have fished a lot to the west of OB.

That time of year can be pretty slow. The pelagics are gone south and it can be rough getting offshore because of the weather. Also red snapper season usually isnt open then, and its tough to get bait through them for other bottom fish. One bet is the Dixie bar, a big sand bar running perpendicular to fort Morgan, for big redfish. It's a little early, but may be worth trying. It should be on the maps. Use live baitfish up to 6" or small crabs on bottom while drifting across the bar. when you find the depth they are at you can anchor.

My favorite for that time of year is sheepshead fishing. They are spawning and are congregated on all the near shore structures. Try the near shore oil rigs, bridges over the intercoastal waterway, or jettys in deeper water. Live shrimp or fresh shucked oysters on a small bait holder hook are they way to go. Fish as close to the structure as you can safely get. If you shuck oysters the discarded shells act as chum. They are LIGHT biters and it takes a minute to get used to it. Beware the fins, gill plates, and teeth. They are good eating though and fight like hell.

PM me if you have any questions.

Thank you
That is very helpful.
I will probably PM you as it gets closer, so i can keep everything fresh in my mind.

Kevin

Alabama Point at the mouth of Perdido Pass would be a good and easy place to try the sheepshead. It can be crowded but it is easy to get to. I Carolina Rig small live shrimp with just enough weight to feel the bottom. You will also be in play for reds that time of year. The sheepshead is a fine fish and with jus a little luck you should be able to find them.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back