Ground shooting grouse

The 3 shell limit only applies to migratory birds. It has nothing to do with safety.

At the last hunter's safety class I taught this spring, I asked a retired FWP employee that teaches why the 3 shell limit for migratory. He said it was due to the fact that ducks and geese tend to come in as big groups and with 5 shells, it would make it easier for a group of hunters to really take out a lot of birds at one time....like.....sitting ducks if you will. Upland, if you get off your 5 shots you're pretty dang quick.

I have used all manner of projectiles to take grouse, including, in no particular order, rocks, sticks, arrows, 22 bullets, and shotguns. Grouse taste good. I am grateful for the patient and not-so-wary nature of some of them so one of my limited skill could invite them to dinner.

I have used all manner of projectiles to take grouse, including, in no particular order, rocks, sticks, arrows, 22 bullets, and shotguns. Grouse taste good. I am grateful for the patient and not-so-wary nature of some of them so one of my limited skill could invite them to dinner.

I too have taken grouse with a rock. There is definitely something very caveman-esque about procuring a meal in the wild without the use of a weapon. And they taste a little better too I think.

Popcan, I don't know what's safer....shooting grouse on the ground or when they're airborne. I'd say when they're on the ground....I'm sure Dick Cheney's hunting partners would agree.

We don't have grouse in Louisiana, but we do have a similar trick with Squirrels. Take a 1/4 jar of creamy Peanut Butter and glob on an Oak tree....back off with your 300 win mag and wait. When you have 4 or 6 squirrels eating the Peanut Butter you shoot the glob and the PB will clog up their noses and they will suffocate. True story! John

Tagging along with Randy's commment about not flushing elk before a shot... no one flushes turkeys before a shot. Also why is it considered unethical to shoot them in trees? Also I have ground pounded quite a few ducks, but that's because we are hunting in Montana jump shooting from a canoe through private land, which is legal in Montana, but if you dump the birds and they hit the ground above the high water mark your trespassing if you retrieve them.

definitely how we were raised. Drive the roads dad looked for a deer while I shot heads off the grouse with my .22. had to bribe grandpa into going with us so I could shoot his limit too. otherwise I looked greedy. hehehe. No better upbringing sacrificing limit for the underage family members.

oz

I'm pretty sure I forgot I was archery elk hunting.

Attachments

• 20140921_081434_resized.jpg
    20140921_081434_resized.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 278
I've never really understood people looking down their noses at it. So many bird hunters get stuck on "how" they shoot them, they forget the whole point is to kill birds. I have no problem shooting wild flushing birds or however I can get them. The dogs would rather have the retrieve than nothing.

I even commit the blasphemy of shooting rabbits over my pointing dogs. Some guys cringe, but it adds another opportunity to add game to my vest. And I'd just as soon have fried rabbit as pheasant.

I honestly can't figure out how forrest grouse have managed to not go extinct.
Forrest grouse have all but disproved the thery of evolution.
Now if we could just make sage grouse dummberer.

IMO shooting a bird on the ground/water is akin to shooting a bedded big game animal. I'm not against either, but I prefer to shoot birds on the wing.

IMO shooting a bird on the ground/water is akin to shooting a bedded big game animal. I'm not against either, but I prefer to shoot birds on the wing.

Does that mean that you want to shoot the deer running, just to make it sporting? :confused: If it is legal, CHOOT IT! I will take a ground shot every time, as I am a lousy wing shot and I am way past needing to impress anybody but the cook pan.

Since I hunt with a flushing dog obviously most of my ruffed grouse are shot at in the air. Sometimes early season when grouse numbers are high and there are a lot of "dumb" birds about my dog will flush them and they will fly up into a tree and sit there. This is a shot I never pass up, especially considering the frustrations these birds cause me in December and January.

I've never had a problem shooting birds on the ground. I've never lost one that way either.

Grouse are to dam tasty to let a good opportunity to pass. I bet 80% of the grouse I have killed were on the ground. If I was hunting with my dog I wouldn't ground pound them but back when I lived where there were grouse I didn't have a dog. I would like to get back up and try to kill a few with the dog.

I prefer to shoot ducks on the wing because I think they are a pain to kill on the water but if one lands before I notice it and it has been a while since the dog has picked one up I will water swat it.

I take them however I can. Personally, I like to shoot them on the ground since I am much more successful, but I also like the feeling of sneaking up on them. Yes - I know their reputation for being dumb, but anytime I can sneak up on those birds I feel like I am practicing for the upcoming elk season. I also don't understand the purist perspective so it has never crossed my mind that some may frown at shooting them on the ground, out of trees, etc. If folks want to only shoot them in the air - great! Hopefully that means more misses and more for me to chase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back