PEAX Equipment

Grizzlies in the Salt River Range?

I'll be headed into the Salts for the first time this fall and considering backpacking in for a few nights solo. I'm having a hard time determining if grizzlies are something I need to take into account or not and cannot find anything confirming their presence . Our family friend from Star Valley says they are there but he hasn't been up into the mountains himself for sometime. Anyone have first hand knowledge? I'll be contacting G&F/biologist but with grizzlies being such a polarizing topic I am worried about any information for areas that are considered the outer edge of the declared territory.

Thanks!

I have only driven through there for fly fishing, but I would tell you that if there was a griz in that area he was passing through or lost. I am not aware of anything that says their range is that far south. Contacting the biologist is always the best bet. Post up if you get a reply as I'll be down there again this summer.

I have hunted it a couple times for elk and haven't seen any bears or bear sign. I haven't heard of any sightings in that range either.

I hunt this area every fall. Although I don't believe there is a strong resident bear population, there is a chance you can have an encounter. A hunting buddy saw a Griz up Moffat Creek several years ago, and he knows the difference between black bears and grizzlies. Another hunter in our campground had one on his elk carcass about 8 years ago. I have never seen any direct evidence myself. I did come across large overturned rocks, which is sign for bear, but it could have been a black bear as well. It makes since that they would be around though, given the Salt Range's proximity to known griz country. I think the Game and Fish would say that it's possible bears migrate through from time to time, but don't have a resident population. They also told my hunting partner that there are no griz around at the same time that my partner physically saw one in the area.

Last edited:
As for their "range" myself as well as other people I know I can trust have seen Grizzlies in the southern end of the Wyoming range, which means they are in fact in the salt river range. There's also plenty of Grizzlies in the Gros ventre and wind river range for those that are wondering. With all of that said, I've hunted and scouted in the salts a fair amount and have never seen a grizzly or any sign of them where I've been. I didn't take any precautions and no one I know does either. If you're feeling uncomfortable though, it would never hurt....just more weight!

A quick update: is just returned from my wedding/honeymoon and returned to the post. My google search showed a recent date on the 2002 article, only reinforced my need to talk with the biologist. Two voicemails have gone unreturned (never mentioned my topic beyond having a tag) and I have called a few more times without response. I have a reminder in my Outlook now and will call daily from my office until I get a response. I'll be sure to share but really appreciate everyone providing their experience. I am very familiar sharing my hunting grounds with black bears but the humo back is new...

A quick update: is just returned from my wedding/honeymoon and returned to the post. My google search showed a recent date on the 2002 article, only reinforced my need to talk with the biologist. Two voicemails have gone unreturned (never mentioned my topic beyond having a tag) and I have called a few more times without response. I have a reminder in my Outlook now and will call daily from my office until I get a response. I'll be sure to share but really appreciate everyone providing their experience. I am very familiar sharing my hunting grounds with black bears but the humo back is new...

Who have you been calling?

Give the biologist time they will respond. An email may get a quicker response.They are busy right now.

Honestly, just camp like there are grizzle and your precautions will pay dividends with the black bears that are definitely running around. Hang your food at night, carry bear spray, cook your meals downwind and 100 yards from camp and you should be good. You can have just as bad of an experience surprising a sow black bear with cubs as a grizz. If you do get a biologist on the phone they are just going to tell you that it's highly unlikely that there grizz in the area and even more unlikely that you would encounter one even if there are, further they will just tell you to carry bear spray and keep a clean camp.

I work that country every year, have never seen a grizzly in the Salt River Range, but the way grizzly bear populations are expanding...seeing one there wouldn't surprise me at all.

Nothing to lose your mind over, just take the precautions, hang your food, be aware of what's going on, etc. etc.

I work that country every year, have never seen a grizzly in the Salt River Range, but the way grizzly bear populations are expanding...seeing one there wouldn't surprise me at all.

Nothing to lose your mind over, just take the precautions, hang your food, be aware of what's going on, etc. etc.

Yep. I'd take bear spray too, just for peace of mind.

I'd rather not say who because I'm sure he is busy and it will work out just fine with enough time. I'll continue to try though because I think, if only, it will put my mind at ease that I've done what I believe to be the responsible way to prepare for a new area.

I've already started the education process (Randy just posted a video) and preparing like I'll be in confirmed territory. Lots to learn and I appreciate everyone providing tips and guidance.

Sounds like is not thick with grizzly but likely you will be around bears even if are black bears. I would be packing bear spray on my chest and be bear aware including food storage. Might be the one grizzly for 100 miles but only takes one or an agitated or protective or hungry black bear to create some tense moments. I have more concerns about the critters that walk upright and hang out at the trail head than bears though I have never been charged by a bear so perhaps am overly confident I can co-exist with them.

The state biologist called me back today. He was very open to sharing information and openly stated that answering these questions is a part of his job he takes seriously. In short, he said there have been confirmed sightings on the eastern slope of the Salts over the past 5-6 years but they are rare. Black bears out number grizzlies by a significant margin and anyone planning to overnight backpacking needs to take general bear precautions. He stated that there have been reported black bears found on carcasses but again it is rare. He stated that I shouldn't be overly concerned about bears, black or grizzly, but encouraged carrying bear spray. Everything that was shared in this posts lined up with his comments, thank you for your input.

Back