Grizzley man

Gunner, you would have loved his sequel, "Jeremiah's Johnson", had this whacked dipshit not been eaten...;)

...you do see the irony in that the bear had to be destroyed due to Treadwells vain delusions?

NHY,
Why did the bear have to be destroyed? Chances are, nobody else was going to be camping there the rest of the year.

The dude died being where he wanted to be, living his life how he wanted. Although it was likely a horrible death for the few minutes that the audio captures, it was likely better than the path to death that he was on while in SoCal trying to become an actor.

I have known of people who have died rafting or kayaking at a young age and I have known of 50 year olds who have died of a heart attack in their kitchen, found wedged between the diswasher and a cabinet. I can assure you which ones enjoyed life more.

Before you massage this into a philosophical survival thread, perhaps you could enlighten me why the bear was destroyed.

noharleyyet said:
Before you massage this into a philosophical survival thread, perhaps you could enlighten me why the bear was destroyed.

I don't know, as it appeared to be the wanton waste of the animal. The Hide and the meat were left behind.

Do you think a movie about Treadwell's life trying to become an actor in SoCal would have been more interesting? Do you think schoolkids would have learned as much if had spoken to their classes about Hollywood parties?

And it looks like Treadwell served a valuable purpose for protection of game and for hunters.
Timothy believed protecting grizzlies from poaching was an integral part of his mission. On several occasions poachers threatened him, but during his time in Katmai, no grizzly was known to have been killed. In August 2004, nearly a year after his death, five bears were poached in Katmai National Park. After his death, Timothy was criticized for claiming there were active poachers in Katmai. Alaskan conservationist and filmmaker Joel Bennett said, "The recent poaching of bears in Katmai National Park shows that Alaskans should never be complacent about the protection of their treasured wildlife resources. Tim Treadwell's vigilance may well have saved other bears from the same fate."

Good point Gunner. What I know is, without this poor soul's ghastly end, we aren't having this converstion..."he doesn't get his 15 minutes if he ain't lunch".

I doubt his disdain for griz hunting was limited to poachers.

NHY,
He was already getting his "15 minutes", he had been on David Letterman, on the Discovery Channel, etc... He thought he had a message and was carrying it forward.

Who knows what his long term goal was, to end up as bear scat, or to finally put all of his video together as an educational tool.

Have you read "Into the Wild" by Jon Krakauer?

JoseCuervo said:
NHY,
He was already getting his "15 minutes", he had been on David Letterman, on the Discovery Channel, etc... He thought he had a message and was carrying it forward.

Who knows what his long term goal was, to end up as bear scat, or to finally put all of his video together as an educational tool.

Have you read "Into the Wild" by Jon Krakauer?

Yes, McCandless and Treadwell shared similar eccentricities.

guppie9 said:
And similar disdain from most Alaskans.

The irony is that many Alaskans share similar characteristics. How many people who live in cabins in the Bush are running from something, real or imaginary, in their past or in their mind? How many of the guys at the barstool at the end of the bar are just a bit odd?

Why the disdain for guys who come up to Alaska and die in a location of their own choosing? Isn't that better than somebody who comes up and gets killed while driving under the influence in Anchorage?

While many Alaskans are "odd", they do show the proper respect for nature. Those people living at the end of the road in a cabin don't go out there unprepared like McCandless. Most Alaskans would not be so arrogant as to think that they could spend that much time in such close proximity to bears as Treadwell did and not have something happen. If you want to come up here and fulfill your Jack London fantasy, be my guest. But don't be surprised if something goes wrong when you are ill-prepared. Whether either one of these guys were running from something or not is irrelevent. They are looked upon as idiots not because of their ideology, but because they went out into the bush unprepared and without the proper amount of humility.

Well said guppie9. Treadwell in my opinion lived out a self fulfilled destiny. He was committing suicide by bear. No different than the guy who pulls a gun on a cop who wants to die. the parody that was on a earlier thread said it correctly, "even the king of the retards" would know not to live in that kind of proximity of the bears. Treadwell got what he was looking for. Not that anyone deserves to die that way, but push the button often enough and sooner or later it's going to happen.

guppie9 said:
While many Alaskans are "odd", they do show the proper respect for nature. Those people living at the end of the road in a cabin don't go out there unprepared like McCandless. Most Alaskans would not be so arrogant as to think that they could spend that much time in such close proximity to bears as Treadwell did and not have something happen. If you want to come up here and fulfill your Jack London fantasy, be my guest. But don't be surprised if something goes wrong when you are ill-prepared. They are looked upon as idiots not because of their ideology, but because they went out into the bush unprepared and without the proper amount of humility.

Guiseppe,
I talked to a guy who was going to run a 14ft aluminum boat up the Tannana and then up the Yukon(?) for something like 800 miles. One of the guys with us was a boat mechanic and estimated the Johnson motor as being early '60s. The old lifejacket the guy had was going to be his seat cushion. His boss was going to fly fuel to a couple of landing strips along the way. Supposedly, there is something you do to the Outboard motors to change the impeller or something so that the silt in the glacier rivers doesn't eat up the lower end, and the guy's boss bragged about not getting around to doing that.

I have bumped into enough others in Alaska to not be so naieve as to think that only Treadwell and McCandless were the only unprepared guys in the woods. McCandless probably knew he was going to die and sooner, and he just hurried it along....

Remember my original statement (I've added some capitals and bold face to help you out.)
guppie9 said:
And similar disdain from MOST Alaskans.
It sounds like the guy you met was also an idiot. I can also tell you stories about the thousands of Alaskans I have met who have never done anything that stupid. Once again, MOST Alaskans consider McCandless and Treadwell to be idiots, plain and simple.

(Quote Jose )"not to be so naieve"...your spelling suggests you're a naive knave.:rolleyes:

.....you're in the U.S., please spell in Spanglish.

Let's call it an unofficial poll. Out of the people that I have talked to, they all hold that opinion. So, one could extrapolate those numbers and draw the conclusion that most Alaskans feel the same way. It's the same with every poll out there. Get a small sample of the public and play out the numbers. I couldn't tell you exactly how many people I have spoken to. However, I have yet to meet a single person who thinks that McCandless and Treadwell were not idiots. So, I suppose by using my poll example, I COULD say that ALL Alaskans feel that way. However, I am sure there is some sort of +/- error that I need to figure in, so I amended my results to say that MOST Alaskans feel that way. So, to answer your question, I believe my answer is somewhere in between knowing and speculating since my poll is not exactly scientific. Do you think that most people believe that, during the day with no clouds and no interference from outside sources, the sky is blue? Do you know that or are you just speculating?? :D :D :D

Well I feel someone on this board owes me $3 I spent yesterday to rent that POS. I would never had rented it had it not been for all this talk about it and the parody, which by the way is better than the movie.

I am suprised it took so long for the bears to eat him. In alot of that footage you can tell the bears are not happy he is around, very agitated and upset looking.

"Sometimes I just wish I was Gay". Believe me dude, you didn't have to wish.

I finally rented & watched the complete version after catching a few incomplete segments on PBS. He was even crazier than I initially suspected. Too bad about the gal that foolishly accompanied him.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back