Caribou Gear Tarp

Griz attack

I have never or probably ever hunt in grizzly territory, Why is the spray better than a gun, pistol, or a Lever action 44?

Doesn't make sense. Enlighten me!

Bears smell 7 times greater than a bloodhound and 2,100 times greater than a human AND that stuff in the can will drop you to the ground and make you cry uncontrollably as a human.

How many times do you shoot a deer or elk and it still runs 50 or yards?

A Bear can do the same thing and ruin your day/life before it dies.

For those of you not familiar with the spray (the kind I use, Counter Assault) it doesn't shoot a little stream or even a narrow cloud for a few feet like some of the self-defense stuff you see in the city. It blows a very large, wide cloud for a considerable distance. Limitations are wind. If there is a cross-wind, it can limit or prevent how much gets to the bear. Also, it can wipe you out too. But it's better than waking up dead. It's absolutely horrible shit and it seems to get everywhere. I spayed two black bear on my outdoor, open porch once and my son, sleeping in his room, doors and windows closed, about twenty feet away, started in with the coughing.

For those of you not familiar with the spray (the kind I use, Counter Assault) it doesn't shoot a little stream or even a narrow cloud for a few feet like some of the self-defense stuff you see in the city. It blows a very large, wide cloud for a considerable distance. Limitations are wind. If there is a cross-wind, it can limit or prevent how much gets to the bear. Also, it can wipe you out too. But it's better than waking up dead. It's absolutely horrible shit and it seems to get everywhere. I spayed two black bear on my outdoor, open porch once and my son, sleeping in his room, doors and windows closed, about twenty feet away, started in with the coughing.

You must be pretty tough, if you spayed two black bears on your porch!:)

My kid carried Counter Assault, while working an armed security job in Milwaukee. He sprayed a bad guy, two cops and himself in one shot. The cops told him they had never experienced anything like that in their lives. The kid was still blowing snot the next day. Great stuff!

I have also seen where people accidentally fired it inside a car and the insurance company totaled the car, because it could not be cleaned well enough to get rid of it.

My kid carried Counter Assault, while working an armed security job in Milwaukee. He sprayed a bad guy, two cops and himself in one shot. The cops told him they had never experienced anything like that in their lives. The kid was still blowing snot the next day. Great stuff!

I have also seen where people accidentally fired it inside a car and the insurance company totaled the car, because it could not be cleaned well enough to get rid of it.

I was stupid and left some garbage on the porch. Late that night (or early next morning) the dog went off. I turned on the porch light and saw these two clowns chowing down. About 100 to 150 pounds each. I stepped out on the porch, buck ass naked and yelled at them. They were only a few feet away but didn't try to take me or even stop eating. I figured if that didn't scare them, I better get the spray. It worked like a charm.

I hit an aggressive dog with it once and he spent the next 30 hours or so under a building crying, blowing snot and whining quietly. Good dog.

I've always been afraid to use it on people because of the liability and it says on the label that you shouldn't. So I carry a 1911 for them.

Must be triple stout if you SPAYED two black bears on your porch........
Absolutely opportune misspelling :D

I've always been afraid to use it on people because of the liability and it says on the label that you shouldn't. So I carry a 1911 for them.

....people without cubs.

Last edited:
I'll tell you what I'd like to see done. Leave the Yellowstone bear zone as it's always been. And anything outside of that original grizzly bear containment area - shoot on sight. Especially the Ranchers. Let's not forget about them.

What a joke

We work in Glacier Park some. A couple seasons ago we heard sirens going down the canyon. We found out the next day that some woman had spayed her kids with bear spray to keep the bears away! They made the ambulance trip to the hospital needless to say!

We work in Glacier Park some. A couple seasons ago we heard sirens going down the canyon. We found out the next day that some woman had spayed her kids with bear spray to keep the bears away! They made the ambulance trip to the hospital needless to say!

Wow. Poor kids.

Now hold on here just a damn minute; is this one of those "smells like pepper and has little bells in it" jokes, or are you serious? LOL!

LMAO! I think James missed the joke! :hump:

Oh, I got it, but I didn't think it was me that spelled it "spayed". Besides, when people are talking about how tough you are, there is no sense interfering with their perception. :D

Strike my last. I DID misspell it. My bust, I stand corrected. :D

Last edited:
From Tom Smith's bear spray efficacy study... mmmm...hot sauce!

We analyzed 11 incidents of spray misuse that resulted in unintended consequences. In 45% (5 of 11) of incidents, persons applied spray to objects they hoped to protect from damage by curious bears; these efforts all failed. In 2 instances (18%), persons applied sprays as a zonal repellent but reported bears inordinately attracted to these locations (i.e., tent and on river bank). In 2 instances (18%), persons reported bears attracted to spray residues following use of bear spray for practice purposes.

Im a stranger to hunting in bear country, well grizzly bear country, and I have always heard that spray is better then a gun? Any guesses as to what went wrong? You think the spray missed the bear, was the spray simply not effective, the guy seems pretty educated on hunting around grizzly bears. Just curious....wonder what the bear spray company would say.....

According to a follow up article on this he was quoted as saying " I sprayed the $__t out of her with bear spray."

According to a follow up article on this he was quoted as saying " I sprayed the $__t out of her with bear spray."

I suppose bears are a lot like people when it comes to this. In the USMC, when they put us in the CS (gas) chamber, some guys came out with a smile on their face while others were on their knees screaming like a little girl with 3 feet of snot coming out of each nostril.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back