Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Greetings

Hunt talk,
I have been lurking for a minute and decided to join the ranks. I am originally from PA and grew up hunting all types of critters there. Fast forward and the military landed me in Colorado, I never left I guess. Been hunting critters here too. I hunt everything from predators to big game. I am very familiar with shooting, optics and hunting/fishing. I will try to help as much as I can and I hope that you all will help me in return. I also hope to read about others' hunts. Harvesting the animal is one small event in the overall hunt. I like to read about the entire experience.

Here's the nitty gritty:
I am not a fan of people who's sole purpose in life is to bully a person because they can't afford to buy the most expensive firearms, optics, gear, etc. My philosophy is that a person should use what they can afford, use what they are comfortable with and practice good shooting techniques and above all else, get out in the field and experience nature.

In the tool shed:
Laugh if you want, but my cartridge hunting rifle is a US, Model of 1917 in 30-06 that was sporterized back in the late 70's that is topped with a Leupold M8 fixed 4X from 1980 that was handed down to me in the late 90's. It has harvested everything I have shot with it using cheap 150gr soft point Federal Powershok ammo (for a rifle this old, still easily a 1 moa rifle/ammo combo at 100 yards).
I also muzzle load and my weapon of choice is a Longrifle (mix between a PA and KY) in .50 cal that can easily ring 8" round steel at 100 yards with a patched round ball or conical repeatedly, however, my comfort zone is 75 yards which is no issue for either the longrifle or the shooter.

Thanks,
American Longrifle

Welcome aboard! The 1917 Pattern is a great rifle one of if not the most accurate rifle of WW1. The Springfield gets all the press but more US service men used the model 1917 then any other rifle during WW1.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I will try to get a pic of the old 1917 up later. To some guys she will be ugly and some may even use her as a fence post, but to me, she is a fine rifle.

Welcome!

My 338 is a 1917 made by Winchester around 1918. It's shooting right around 3/4 MOA w/ 225 grain pills. Love that action. Nice choice!

Welcome to the forum.
I'm sure million of animals have fallen to plain old Powershock ammo or Core-Lokt such as I usually use. No need to have the "latest and greatest" rifle of the moment either.
My rifle also wears it's original Leupold VX-II from about 1980 as well.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back