Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Grapes

Wild Bill

Just a friendly reminder to not buy grapes if you keep your dog in the house.
I've told my wife countless times not to buy them.
She bought them, again.
Dog got one, again.
I had to run to the pharmacy to grab Hydrogen Peroxide and squirt a shot down the dogs throat, wait for him to puke, and sift through the foamy puke to ensure said grape was expelled. Poor dog just retching out in the front yard wondering what the hell is happening.

I had a lab with an iron stomach. We used to throw grapes to her by the dozen, before we read that they were bad for dogs. She loved them and thankfully lived to a ripe old age. She was a world-class eater of anything though. Once, she ate a whole bowl of halloween candy. We worried and watched her carefully, but she never showed any sign of distress. The next day she pooped out the whole batch............ they were still wrapped. She'd just inhaled the candy bars without chewing them...

Just a friendly reminder to not buy grapes if you keep your dog in the house.
I've told my wife countless times not to buy them.
She bought them, again.
Dog got one, again.
I had to run to the pharmacy to grab Hydrogen Peroxide and squirt a shot down the dogs throat, wait for him to puke, and sift through the foamy puke to ensure said grape was expelled. Poor dog just retching out in the front yard wondering what the hell is happening.
Good reminder, mine has eaten a couple without any issues, but I've read many times about their toxicity to dogs.

My border collie ate a rat poison block in the garage a few years ago and I used the hydrogen peroxide trick to get it out of him quickly, thankfully it worked.

As a kid we had a dog that grew up on a vineyard. Good luck keeping him from eating grapes.

Now, of course our dog only gets dog food.

After all, whatever he eats is food, and he’s a dog.

I have never heard of this before. Is it like the chocolate myth? Basically, only toxic if they eat like 10 lbs of it.

Not a myth even a small amount of grapes can really hurt a dog even kill them and the chocolate is the dark stuff not so much milk

Grapes or raisins MAY lead to progressive kidney disease in SOME dogs. So said the internist who treated Pearl for the condition at U of Minnesota vet hospital. Perhaps my wife tossed her a few, but Cathy died years before Pearl. I never liked grapes of any sort so the dogs never got any from me. They were pretty hot for the wild chokecherries that grow on the fence lines where I hunt geese. Have to keep an eye on that. If blueberries were poisonous my dogs would have been done for years ago. Opal was great at finding the best bushes with biggest berries. Just follow her around.

Last edited:
Definitely avoid giving them to dogs…that said, before I knew that, I used to give them to my dog whenever I had one that was too squishy. He doesn’t seem to have any issues from it.

Our big male Chesapeake ate an entire 2 lb. Box of assorted chocolates the night before our wedding. Other than some ridiculous stool piles the next day, he was fine.

Since none of the fear mongers shared any info, I looked it up and according to: https://pets.webmd.com/dogs/why-dogs-cant-eat-grapes

"...an amount as low as 0.3 ounces of grapes per pound of body weight could also cause various symptoms of food toxicity."

So, for a 50 lb dog, it would need to eat 15 ounces of grapes - that's almost a pound! - to meet even the minimum danger level of "various symptoms."

Didn't mean to fear monger, but when my vet (who I trust and is not a fear monger) tells me to induce vomit, that's what I do. I'd rather be safe than sorry for the sake of my dog, I suppose. Just thought I'd share my frustration with the situation. Go ahead and let your dogs eat grapes to their content, until they reach the threshold of 0.3 oz/lb body weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back