MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Grants? Your thoughts...

Craig S.

Are education grants a good idea? Are wildlife conservation grants a good idea? Are public grants in general a good thing?

Some one once told there is always a profit being made, even if it is a non-profit. I am starting to believe this concept.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Lets see are you asking if I approve of the government giving a portion of the money I pay in taxes going to fund anything from illegals getting a college education to extremist led enviornmental organizations trying to take away my hunting privileges?

Are education grants a good idea? Are wildlife conservation grants a good idea? Are public grants in general a good thing?

Some one once told there is always a profit being made, even if it is a non-profit. I am starting to believe this concept.

Your thoughts?

1.) Most grants only dedicate a small portion to administrative costs. That's usually around 5-10% of the total grant. That amount rarely covers the actual administrative cost for a non-profit when you factor in man hours, overhead, etc. While these are non-profits, they have costs just like every other business. Some have much higher overhead than others.

2.) Public grants are a good idea. Places like the Northwestern Pacific Labratory work under EPA grants and their work has helped immensely in the defense sector, and in reducing point source pollution by utilizing free market ideas and helping make new pollution control economical. I think that's a good thing.

3.) I have no problem with the NRA getting federal grants, and for the most part, I have no problem with groups like NRDC getting Government Grants. Both have shown anti-hunting bias at times (NRA supporting elimination of Roadless Areas IS anti-hunting). What matters is that there is a fair and appropriate process for awarding these grants so that it's not biased to one entity or another. The beauty of America is that we don't discriminate based on political beliefs. I'd hate to see our Gov't do that.

Craig i have wondered about this also.I live in a small rural community who's rural fire dept has received what in my mind are some very generous grants.I am certain that my neighbors and i could not have raised the funds to construct and equip this RFD on our own.Something about this has always seemed wrong to me.

Never been a big fan of public money being granted to private entities.If some greater public good could be demonstrated ,curing cancer Ect now thats different .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oras
Back