graduation gift 2010

brian

My son graduates high school in 2010. For a graduation gift, I told him I would take him elk hunting. (antelope or muley would work). I`m afraid I may have bit off more than I can chew as I don`t know what I need to do to get a tag or even where to hunt. We`re from mid-Mo. & looking for an archery hunt maybe in Colorado, New Mexico or Montana. He would prefer a gun hunt, but from what I`m reading, it would be impossible to get a tag. I`m a new member & looking for any suggestions that will help me make this happen. Thanks for any info.

Brian,

I don't know all that much about the other states, but I had a New Mexico youth rifle tag for one of the best areas in the state. If your son is young enough (I'm assuming he is) then he would have a far better chance of drawing in the youth area. I drew this tag 2-3 years ago and we saw one bull that would have been in the high 300's gross and followed a couple others that weren't bad either.

I also drew a rifle tag in 2005 for the Missouri Breaks in MT. I wound up with a bull that was 350 4/8 net. That being said, I had a few points, am a resident of MT, and got extremely lucky to draw the tag (One of my friend's parents had been applying for a tag for more years than I've known how to shoot a gun and still hadn't drawn). The breaks are also a good area for archery since they give away quite a few tags and have some good animals, but I've heard that in the past few years there have been lots and lots of hunters, especially on opening weekend.

If size of the elk isn't a huge consideration, there are probably better places to apply. I'd say maybe just find a few units where the harvest rate and draw rates are pretty high, and apply for those areas. It might be the case that you have to make it a belated graduation present. There isn't much you can do if you don't draw.

Brian. Welcome to the site. You can actually get an OTC Bull elk tag in Colorado and have a great hunt with a little planning ahead of time.

It is not to late to get a PP in Wyoming for this year and build you a could of points before you want to do your hunt.

As others have stated, you can rifle hunt elk in Colorado with over-the-counter rifle or archery tags. I think Idaho also has OTC tags with caps.

If you choose to hunt Wyoming, buy preference points for you and your son before the end of September. You will then be guaranteed to draw general elk tags next year.

Some hunts in New Mexico have very good draw odds.

Odds of drawing a tag in Montana are 50% if you decide to go that way.

Pick a state and then start researching areas. You're starting early, so you have lots of time.

Thanks for all the great info. You all have made this sound a lot easier than I thought possible. My son is not a youth, but I`m certain we will get tags next year. If there are any more suggestions, please let me know. Thanks again.

Back