Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Got a tag in unit 2

Melvin300

I'm looking for some info. on unit 2 in NW Colo. I just drew a early rifle tag and have never been up there. I would love to talk to anybody that has recently hunted or knows of anybody who has hunted the unit. I've heard lots about the Walker Ranch. Do I need private to get a 330 bull?

Congrats on the tag and good luck with your hunt. That is about a once in a lifetime opportunity.

The point creep and my age finally forced me to draw an area 61 2nd season tag this year.

This is colorado, afterall. You need a good bit of luck for a 330. They are there but of the 100 bulls you will see, a few might top that. Making the odds lower than you would like to think for a 20+ year wait. Walker ranch would be a great option.

How much scouting will you getbn ahead of the season?

Unit 2

I just booked on the Walker ranch this last weekend so I don't think I will be scouting as much now. We will go up sometime in August to get familar with things then show up atleast 3 days before season. Have you hunted the ranch or have any tips for me?

Just got my area 2 tag in the mail today. Unbelievable, I drew the hybrid tag.
I have been hunting cows for the past 4 yrs and went up with my buddy to hunt deer last year. I have never hunted the Walker Ranch. What did you pay for the trespass fee if you don't mind me asking? Pretty excited to be up there. I didn't think I was going to be hunting 2 for another decade or so.

Congrats on your tag,I had been saving points for 2 also but didnt think I would ever draw.I hunted deer there to look the unit over and saw some huge bulls and this was just after the hunt.My buddy and I just drew unit 61 first rifle and would appreciate any info from someone who has been there.Good luck on your hunt,its going to be a good one Yooper Bob

What year did you hunt deer there? With the drought being as bad as it is I'm worried the antlers won't finish as well as a normal year.

I hunted there 5 or 6 yrs ago and the conditions were extremely dry .I started out near Powder Wash and ended up near Greystone and Douglas Mtn.where I saw the most deer and elk.I think the deer were more affected than the elk.There are so many big bulls there ,what difference does a few inches make when we are talking huge.

Unit 2

Sounds like a 330 bull could be fairly difficult. I have the time off so I'm going to try to be patient but easier said then done.

I was up there over the 4th of July and saw 50 or 60 elk, no bulls but a lot of nice deer. Any ideas on where to start?

Never shot anything over a 270. How do you know it's a 330 or so bull?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back