Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Goopy bits

Don't let vegetarians find out plants like meat too!😁

Even us slow bitterrooters knew the benefits of animal composting years ago.

To be fair it appears that it wasn’t a university project but private school/independent research, but yeah done by people who seem to have a particular affinity for big cats to begin with

Agreed. Appears to be some non-profit outfit. But I am positive it cost money somehow from the participants as well earned a payday for the people putting it on.

I mean they didn’t hit me up for money, I don’t send my kid to their wilderness school so they’re not spending any of that tuition. But there has got to be more undecided science to explore and gather hard data on.

Agreed. Appears to be some non-profit outfit. But I am positive it cost money somehow from the participants as well earned a payday for the people putting it on.

I mean they didn’t hit me up for money, I don’t send my kid to their wilderness school so they’re not spending any of that tuition. But there has got to be more undecided science to explore and gather hard data on.

Looks like it was primarily funded by 2 NGO's. They generally have a competitive grant process and a committee that determines who gets funded based on relevance to the organization. It's also a little more in depth than "kill site = higher vegetation nutrient level".

The actual title of the paper is "Large carnivore foraging contributes to heterogeneity in nutrient cycling". Lots in there about distribution of those nutrients around the landscape.

George getting worked up again over the Yellowstone bison harvest and loss of biomass in the Park. The Park not allowing hunting inside the Park is to blame for the loss of biomass. Apparently the firing line goopy bits had to be hauled to the Bozeman landfill, instead of being allowed to decompose on Yellowstone Park soil.

Well, glad the undergrads are able to proudly proclaim they helped researching dead ungulate fertilizer... Haha!

Better use of $ and research opportunities.

George getting worked up again over the Yellowstone bison harvest and loss of biomass in the Park. The Park not allowing hunting inside the Park is to blame for the loss of biomass. Apparently the firing line goopy bits had to be hauled to the Bozeman landfill, instead of being allowed to decompose on Yellowstone Park soil.

Took some cajones to write that piece

Don't let vegetarians find out plants like meat too!😁

Even us slow bitterrooters knew the benefits of animal composting years ago.
Won't work with roadkill! Only works with lion kills. Should have done a study first.

Wyofile always has interesting articles! Sure, its debatable the worth of this study, but I find it interesting never the less.

Something that came to my mind is our impact on this nutrient cycle. With the spread of cwd hunters are increasingly taking carcasses to landfills to be disposed of instead of leaving them on the landscape. I rarely kill anything close enough to bring them out whole in the first place, but I feel like butchering in the field and leaving the carcass where it lays, no matter the location, may be my preference in the future.

Wyofile always has interesting articles! Sure, its debatable the worth of this study, but I find it interesting never the less.

Something that came to my mind is our impact on this nutrient cycle. With the spread of cwd hunters are increasingly taking carcasses to landfills to be disposed of instead of leaving them on the landscape. I rarely kill anything close enough to bring them out whole in the first place, but I feel like butchering in the field and leaving the carcass where it lays, no matter the location, may be my preference in the future.
Wait ... as I understand it MFWP is pushing gutless method as a means of controlling CWD. So ... should we be taking the leftovers to the dump or leave them in the field? Make up your mind!

So I used to plant a fish around the garden when fish and kelp was plentyful.
I just spread Bloodmeal around the trees for nutients.

Am I awoked?

I remember some research from years ago that looked at nutrient cycling from the ocean up rivers with the salmon runs and then into the forest from bears, eagles, etc. For one they confirmed that bears shit in the woods, and they found that the bears tended to use the same area and the trees there were more productive from the fertilizer.

Clearly the next step is to study where the cats bury their nitrogen rich meat scats to fully understand their role in the nutrient cycle.

I remember some research from years ago that looked at nutrient cycling from the ocean up rivers with the salmon runs and then into the forest from bears, eagles, etc. For one they confirmed that bears shit in the woods, and they found that the bears tended to use the same area and the trees there were more productive from the fertilizer.

Clearly the next step is to study where the cats bury their nitrogen rich meat scats to fully understand their role in the nutrient cycle.
The difference being that in most of those arctic regions the soils are often starved, relatively speaking, due to the short growing season for vegetation. And the amount of potential fertilizer transported into those areas during the salmon runs is mind boggling. Yes, most of it is dumped in the immediate vicinity of the waterway. However, those brown bears will roam great distances between drainages during the runs and make deposits along the way. A few of the bears we identified at Brooks Camp were known on the other side of the Alaska Range!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back