Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Good Day on Bears

Ike

A buddy and I went out “riggin for bear” yesterday on the mountain. He left his dogs home to rest for the weekend, so we took my hounds. This young man is the same age as my son and has been in hounds a long time and caught lots of game. However, we’d never dropped dogs together. He asked to tag along, and I said sure and hoped we’d get treed.

We went to one of his hunting area and got three bumps right off the bat….dropped my two red dogs Ike and Choco but both rigs were on the wind, so we moved on. On the fourth rig the breeze had died down and Ike went straight to the track, followed by Choco, Sam, Kody, and Griz.

We could here them strike when they reached the track and began their cold trail…but it wasn’t long and they had a young black boar in the tree. My Ryan dog has a swollen toe so I held him out of the run….but I figured I better throw him down and let him go bark at that bear or he’d never forgive me.

After reaching the tree, I shot a few photos and video of the bear, dogs and my hunting buddy before we pulled the dogs. After reaching the truck, we put five hounds on top and began the trip out. We hadn’t gone far when a sow and two cubs ran across the road in front of us. When we reached the crossing those hounds on top blew lots of air from the platform and in the box did the same. Those two cubs treed right off the road and the dogs on top located from the box, roflmao! First time I ever treed a bear from the road without unsnapped a hound.

We went on down the road and the dogs rigged two more bears…one was a roar. However, we stayed strong and drove on past them. It was a good day to be on the mountain with hounds.

Yall keep’em treed! hump

The ikester

Attachments

• blackboar.gif
    blackboar.gif
    86.1 KB · Views: 237
  • riggin.gif
    riggin.gif
    96 KB · Views: 239
Dead bears

Nut said:
Cool story. When do I get to see pics of dead bears? ;)

I have a video out with three dead bears on it and a DVD out on October 1st with two dead bears. You can also go to my web page and read a story on a top-end world class bear I killed back in 2000 at http://www.ingramwildlife.com

Be sure and check out my DVD movie trailer ad on my upcoming DVD...it's on the video page and only lasts about two mintues. Utah is a limited-entry draw state on bear tags....or I'd kill a good boar every year. To shoot dead bear photos I have to guide hunters.

Best Regards,
Ike |oo

Ike, I always enjoy your stories and pictures. Haven't done any bear hunting for about twenty years, but always had a great time. Used to be good friends with Cap Atwood from Rifle, CO, plenty of excitement back when he was in action. Ever know Cap?

thanks

Ithaca 37 said:
Ike, I always enjoy your stories and pictures. Haven't done any bear hunting for about twenty years, but always had a great time. Used to be good friends with Cap Atwood from Rifle, CO, plenty of excitement back when he was in action. Ever know Cap?

Thanks for the interest and comments on the photos and stories. I've had lots of fun running down lions and bears and figured those adventures should be shared with anybody interested.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Cap Atwood, although I spoke to a friend today about him. He told me he lived around this area at one time in his life and he'd met him back in the late eighties I believe. People come and go in this sport but the sport its self seems to change little. When it gets right down to it, it's man, his hounds and the game they chase. Lots of different ways to get started but hopefully in the end it all happens under the tree or against a rock pile. Take care and thanks for commenting.

We lost another old houndsman here locally from Vernal that just died of West Nile....his name was Shirley Cook. I never dropped dogs with him but did stop and visit him at camp several times.

the ikester

Well, Cap was a legendary bear and lion hunter and a great guy---lots of fun whenever he was around.

Here's an interesting book about a few of the old timers I'd get Cap telling me stories about:

"As one of the country's most widely known hound men over the past 50 years, Cameron also gives, in a chapter titled "Trip To The Southwest," a revealing sketch of some of the country's older famous lion hunters at that time such as the legendary Jack Butler, Dale and Clell Lee, Garn Blackburn, Smoke Emett, Willis Butolph, Cap Atwood and others. A foreword by Pete Evans, 82 year old son of the great lion and bear hunter Dub Evans of Slash Ranch hounds fame, rounds out this
volume as a "must have" edition that has already become a collector's item."

http://www.callofthehounds.com/about_the_book.htm

Thanks

I have had the pleasure of reading of number of those books, and Del Cameron was on of them. A buddy of mine bought a dozen old lion and bear hunting books a couple years back and I bought two or three....we pasted them back and forth so I got a little taste of the old time lion hunters as I read them. Those were sure different times and lived by a different breed of people I sometiems think. And we'll never relive those times I'm afraid.

I did alot of writing back in the late 80s and early 90s but got my fill for awhile...maybe it was the crap the editors wanted me to write that turned me off. Nowdays, I only write about things that interest me--and that's running hounds after lions, bears and bobcats. And I try to soak up all the running I can cause I realize the years are catching up with me the same as with my hounds.

Take care and thanks again.

Ike hump

Back