Yeti GOBOX Collection

Goats and Bighorn sheep

South American Camelids (SACs)

We found that there is high uncertainty about the probability of pathogen transmission from SACs to wild ungulates. We found no peer-reviewed publications documenting pathogen transmission from camelids to wild ungulates or to domestic sheep and goats for the identified pathogens. However, because there was almost no research examining the shedding and transmission dynamics for pathogens in camelid herds, or between camelids and other ruminants, a lack of peer-reviewed evidence should not be considered proof that transmission has not, or could not, occur. We did find anecdotal evidence that the introduction of trekking llamas near Atlin, Terrace and the Babine Mountains of BC (Skeena region) coincided with the first reports of CE in Mountain Goats (Oreamnos americanus) in these regions.

Overall, we assessed the composite disease risk posed to wild ungulates by SACs accessing backcountry areas as medium-high with medium associated uncertainty. This assessment was driven primarily by the 5 high impact and the medium-high risk posed by the respiratory pathogens M. haemolytica and Pasteurella spp., the medium-high risk posed by CE, and the medium risk posed by Johne’s Disease. Mitigation could be undertaken to partially reduce risk posed by respiratory pathogens, although mitigation for CE and Johne’s Disease is much more challenging.
Yet, they are lumped into the same category in management plans.

@Duck-Slayer I’m planning a llama hunt in a sheep area for this fall so I’m a massive hypocrite... just FYI

I own llamas so keep that in mind. I chose to buy llamas instead of goats after researching the possible impacts to bighorn sheep. Based simply on the fact that no llama has ever been found to be capable of even carrying Mycoplasma Ovipnuemoniae. Since llamas can't carry the disease, they can't transmit it.

The Study done in British Columbia and already cited in this thread found no evidence of disease transmission from llamas to wild sheep but chose to state that there is "uncertainty" about the possibility of disease transmission. They state that the uncertainty that llamas could some day develop and transmit disease to wild sheep is a threat. That line of reasoning could be applied to any animal including horses or dogs for that matter.

I own llamas so keep that in mind. I chose to buy llamas instead of goats after researching the possible impacts to bighorn sheep. Based simply on the fact that no llama has ever been found to be capable of even carrying Mycoplasma Ovipnuemoniae. Since llamas can't carry the disease, they can't transmit it.

The Study done in British Columbia and already cited in this thread found no evidence of disease transmission from llamas to wild sheep but chose to state that there is "uncertainty" about the possibility of disease transmission. They state that the uncertainty that llamas could some day develop and transmit disease to wild sheep is a threat. That line of reasoning could be applied to any animal including horses or dogs for that matter.
Totally... but I think your average llama probably presents the same threat as @Duck-Slayer tested, disease free goats.

Curious about the implications of people having pack goats in sheep grazing allotments and then moving on to bighorn range? Any studies on pack goats acquiring some of these pathogens, asymptomatically or otherwise, from sheep grazing allotments?

Just because transmission may result in sublethal infection does not mean there are no impacts. Sublethal infections can have large impacts on wild animals. It’s not easy to make a living in the wild. Just something to keep in mind...

However, I commend you for both researching and having your animals tested.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fingelfinger
Back