Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

GNF studdy shows that loss of Moterized travle would have minmal impact

Bambistew

Proposed restrictions on motorized use on the Gallatin wouldn't have much impact, study shows

By SCOTT McMILLION Chronicle Staff Writer

When it comes to impacts on the regional economy, recreation on the Gallatin National Forest is fairly small potatoes and proposed restrictions on motorized use wouldn't have much of an impact, according to a new government study.

"It is likely the area would not experience significant economic effects from" the restrictions, according to an expanded social and economic impacts analysis released this week by forest officials.

The 50-page study also found that nonmotorized users generate nearly twice as much spending as motorized users do: nonmotorized recreation generated $7.3 million in economic activity and supported 330 jobs; motorized recreation, particularly snowmobiling, created $3.9 million in spending and 185 jobs.

"It definitely backs up what we've been saying all along," said Alex Phillips of the Montana Wilderness Association, which supports the Gallatin's efforts to pare back motorized use in the forest's new travel management plan.

But a spokesman for the group leading the fight against the restrictions said he wants more time to look over the study before commenting.

"We're analyzing the data and we'll have a statement next week on what we think about (the study)," said Brad Grein, one of the 13 co-executive directors of Citizens for Balanced Use, a group that has been battling the restrictions.

The total spending on forest recreation of $11.2 million, and the 515 jobs it supports, is less than 2 percent of the overall economy in Gallatin, Park and Sweet Grass counties, which include almost all of the Gallatin forest.

Residents of the three counties hold 67,000 jobs and personal income in them totals about $2.4 billion.

The Gallatin ordered the study in response to criticisms from some members of the public and from Rep. Denny Rehberg, R-Mont., who had said the previous socio-economic analysis was inadequate.

The research was done by a U.S. Forest Service economist and a social scientist from regional headquarters in Missoula, spokeswoman Lorette Ray said.

The study drew on a number of state, federal and academic sources, plus a year-long visitor survey conducted in the Gallatin between October 2002 and September 2003.

The study is now part of an environmental impact statement, which outlines proposed closures of a number of trails and areas to motorized use.

Forest officials have said their goal is to protect forest resources in the face of growing use by humans.

Even with the changes, people will still use the forest, the study predicts.

"There is little evidence to suggest that changes in road, trail and area closures on various parts of the national forest will cause recreationists to reduce their visitation or choose not to use the national forest for that activity," the report says.

But even if people do stop using the forest, economic impacts likely will be small, the study says.

If walking/hiking visits decline or rise by 10,000, it would mean a reduction or a rise of about 15 jobs.

If snowmobile visits rise or fall by 10,000, about 19 jobs would be lost or gained.

David Smith, executive director of the Bozeman Chamber of Commerce, said Friday that Ray had briefed him about the report.

"With the growth that's going on in this valley, I don't see where we're going to have a decrease of 10,000 visits," he said. "It just doesn't seem realistic."

Still, each of those jobs is associated with an individual.

"If your livelihood depends on it, you're going to worry," he said. "On the other hand, we have more people moving here every day because we're surrounded by forests where you can camp and fish and hike. It's a two-edged sword."

In West Yellowstone and Cooke City, recreation-related jobs are a larger percentage of the economy. However, few travel changes are proposed in those areas, the report says.

By category, snowmobiling creates the most spending per day, at $38.92 per day for locals and $77.41 per day for nonlocals (somebody who lives at least 50 miles from the forest boundaries).

Backpacking generates the least money, at $18.75 per day for locals and $34.78 perday for nonlocals.

When it comes to recreating on the Gallatin National Forest, a big majority of people prefer to travel under their own steam, a new socio-economic report from the forest says.

Here are the top 10 activities, categorizing each use as the "main activity."

1. Hiking/walking: 29.1 percent.

2. Relaxing: 10.6 percent.

3. Hunting: 9.2 percent.

4. Downhill skiing: 8.2 percent.

5. Snowmobiling: 7.8 percent.

6. Fishing: 6.6 percent.

7. Developed camping: 4.5 percent.

8. Viewing natural features: 3.7 percent.

9. Nonmotorized water: 3.2 percent

10. Viewing wildlife: 2.9 percent.

Here are the top 10 activities, categorizing each according to "participation rates." Many forest visitors participate in a number of activities, so the percentages add up to well over 100 percent.

1. Viewing natural features: 70.7 percent.

2. Viewing wildlife: 60 percent.

3. Hiking/walking: 57.6 percent.

4. Relaxing: 55.8 percent.

5. Driving for pleasure: 20.7 percent.

6. Fishing: 12.7 percent.

7. Developed camping: 12.7 percent.

8. Picnicking: 10.3 percent.

9. Hunting: 9.9 percent.

10. Downhill skiing: 9.6 percent.

I don't put much faith in surveys conducted by an agency. The end results can easily be influenced by the wording of the questions or the location where the survey is conducted. I once saw a survey about bear baiting and NAZI's, you'd need to show me the correlation there, but they found it nonetheless. :rolleyes:

It wasnt "an agency" that produced the report...

"The study drew on a number of state, federal and academic sources, plus a year-long visitor survey conducted in the Gallatin between October 2002 and September 2003."

Do you distrust this report...or reports that dont support your point of view?

Whether or not YOU put any faith in this report is a non-issue...the GNF travel plan has been decided by it, and rightfully so.

The research was done by a U.S. Forest Service economist and a social scientist from regional headquarters in Missoula, spokeswoman Lorette Ray said.
When is the Forest Circus NOT an AGENCY?

"By category, snowmobiling creates the most spending per day, at $38.92 per day for locals and $77.41 per day for nonlocals (somebody who lives at least 50 miles from the forest boundaries)."

From my experience, these figures seem rediculously low.

It's also interesting that hunting is the 3rd highest ranked main activitey while it is one of the lowest participated activities. Proves that those that do hunt are passionate about it and almost all hunters rank it as their main activitey.

My guess is that most hunters are also included in with the hikers...

I wonder if the figure for snowmachining is for year round? If you think about it though, If I was to grab my brothters sled and head down there, it would cost me the price of a tank of gas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back