Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

GMU's in southern Colorado

BigEd13

Last year was my first elk hunt and I got on a good 6x6 in northern Colorado but didn't get a shot... and I was hooked! So I bought a place in southern Colorado and am looking at a specific GMU for next year and beyond but need some help. I have done a lot of E scouting like Randy recommends but have some questions about the GMU I want to hunt. I am not asking for specific locations or your hot spots but rather some clarification as to whether I am looking for the kind of hunter numbers in this unit, and if my thinking is in the right direction.

Anyone that can give this bow hunter a little help can PM me if you don't want to discuss it on the open forums, kinda why I didn't say which GMU I am looking at. Thanks in advance.................

I live in So. Central Colorado. Our ranch is surrounded on 3 sides by Federal lands in the mountain foothills, in GMU 80. There are non hunting season times of the years, we can sit in the house and watch big herds of Elk parade past our place on their way to feed.
I don't mind giving advice, knowledge(?), and even physical help sometimes to others, but I'm not going to play a silly game of "guess what unit I might want to hunt" with you.... I don't know what the big deal about being so cryptic as to what unit you're interested in?

Well, I'm new to this forum so I had no idea people would be so open. On other forums I have inquired about advice I have been met with basically a "piss off, do your own research and scouting". I have done a lot but just haven't been there yet. My plan was to hunt the San Isabel NF by Cuchara. I hear there are a lot of four wheelers in there but can't find out if they are many during archery season. The plan if it was crowded was to get up high where those folks aren't interested in going, too steep or too far away from the trails. I have found what I think are some good locations, water holes and dark timber, but I have only hunted elk one year so I only know what I have learned from Randy, the Gritty Bowmen and a few others.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back