GMU 62 Colorado

cowdok

I drew 2nd season mule deer and cow elk for unit 62 in Colorado. Am pretty excited as this will be my first time to hunt mule deer during the rut. Im waiting on the list from Garth about others who have hunted this area. Ordered maps today and will plan a preseason scouting trip soon. Am looking for any info concerning where to start. It is such a huge unit and I'm needing some help. I want to primarily fill the deer tag with a good mature buck. I have only hunted elk once and did get a cow but my elk experience has a lot of room for a steep learning curve.

Thanks, cowdok

Congrats on the tags Cowdok. I have never hunted those areas, but there are guys around here who are pretty familiar. Hopefully some of them will shoot you a PM with some starting points.

Weekends can be pretty slow on the site, so it might be next week before these guys get back in from antler collecting, bear hunting, and other acts of manliness.

Hope you have some good hunts with these tags.

I hunted 62 3rd season in '08..didn't kill a buck, but seen some decent ones, and a few elk, and a huge bear up on the UP..but no tag!

You aint gonna see rutting in the 2nd, but pm me with specific questions and i'll answer them if i can.

Last edited:
In my excitement yesterday I said 2nd season. My tags are actually in the 3rd season Nov 6 - Nov 14.

cowdok,

If you have never hunted this unit before you are in for a rude awakening. You will see one of the biggest blaze orange armies you have ever seen. The deer population has dropped over half since the 2007-2008 winter. It went from 40,000 down to 20,000 this year and this is for both unit 62 and 61 together. They say the elk population has not dropped, but last year was one of the worst I have ever seen. The elk will be spread out and in the deep dark hidey holes and the big mature bucks that do make it year after year are big and old for a reason in this unit.

There are places you can get away from the bigger crowds, but you will be amazed at where people show up in this unit. I am not trying to scare you, I am just letting you know what you can be expecting.

Send me a PM of the areas you are looking into and I will see if i can help.

I have hunter 62 several times both for deer and elk. As had been said it is a sea of orange early on during the hunt, but as the week goes on they will thin out quickly. Also, get off the roads and down into some of the bigger cayons(sometimes very rough) you will not even see anyone most of the time. With the new season dates( the third season being 9 days long) I would think that you will see a lot of locals on the weekends, leaving it less crowded during the week. Good luck on your hunt, you can PM me if you need more info.

CABugle

GMU 62 - black bear

I drew a black bear tag for GMU 62. Does anyone recall where they spotted bears or signs of bears in GMU 62?

Thanks.

TomSawyer,

There are lots and I mean lots of bears in 62. Most any bigger drainage with water and cover will hold bears. The hardest part is getting to a spot you can glass from and see into the cover. You will also be contending with archers chasing elk in these areas and muzzy hunters if you do not find one early on.

Good luck and good hunting !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back