Yeti GOBOX Collection

Glock 20 10mm

ERSS

After reviewing some threads on here and a little research in other places, I ordered a Glock 20 to carry as bear protection this year. Finally came in a few days ago. Real impressed so far. Cycles clean, real accurate and can push out a lot of rounds in a concentrated area in a real short period of time. I checked out the different models and ended up with the SF ( slim frame ), which seems to fit better in my hand. Glock has what they call a "blue label program", with significant discounts to those who are active or reserve military or a member of law enforcement. Seem to me that it will do the job....

Attachments

• Glock 20.jpg
    Glock 20.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 3,991
I've had mine since the mid 90's and love it. I carry it on all of my backpacking trips and occasionally my hiking and hunting trips, depending on where I am at. I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Attachments

• DSC03413.jpg
    DSC03413.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 6,397
That looks like a sweet set up. How many rounds in the mag?
I've abused my glock in .40 for years and it never has misfired. I use an uncle mikes holster that all you have to do is grab the gun and pull and it snaps out of the holster for faster draw on a bear encounter. Also, the part where glock claims they fire under water is true.

That looks like a sweet set up. How many rounds in the mag?
I've abused my glock in .40 for years and it never has misfired. I use an uncle mikes holster that all you have to do is grab the gun and pull and it snaps out of the holster for faster draw on a bear encounter. Also, the part where glock claims they fire under water is true.

Comes with three 15 rd mags. I am looking into the best holster for it now, will have to check that one out. Thanks

ERSS, I have one as well. Great gun, light, reliable and more accurate than most would believe. Only downside is the trigger. I've done some to lighten and make it crisper but there is only so much one can do as they will never feel like a revolver. I used to carry a .41 and .44 but now the 10 is it. Hand loading or custom ammo will get it near a 4-5" .41 safely. If you hand load or are interested I can give load recommendations and what I found with my chrono. Custom ammo manufactures like buffalo bore are good too. Perfect woods carry gun, not scared of bears just nice while archery hunting alone.

One thing I might add is, even though the mags carry 15 rounds, I never load more than 10 per mag. Any more and they really swell and do not eject easily.

I have a 20 in the 10mm and really like it. Only issue was I had a mag swell. Thwak1- once swelled can you get the mag back down to size and use it for 10 rounds?

I only carry 10 rds myself as well. With 15 it starts to feel like a big revolver weight wise.

I have a 20 in the 10mm and really like it. Only issue was I had a mag swell. Thwak1- once swelled can you get the mag back down to size and use it for 10 rounds?

I have 4 mags, 2 original and 2 newer ones. The 2 original still work fine, but stick and have to be pulled out once I hit the release. The other 2 do work better, not sure if its because I never jammed them full or just because they are newer. Prob a lil of both I'm guessing.

Only thing that concerns me is if I buy one they would stop making ammo for it. Does anyone think they will ever stop making ammo for the 10

It never became the "popular" round that they thought it would be, but it has a very loyal following. Also, it can be hard to find ammo in small towns and even bigger ones (like when BO got elected), but I usually don't have a problem. If you're worried, you can always reload too. It's around to stay, IMO.

it would not be my choice,but to each his own,my choice for grizz would be 44 or bigger,357 would be at last resort if me and the bear were at an inpass, and my life was at risk.:D

I have a 10mm and really like it, but it is not the powerhouse it is made out to be.

The sad thing about the 10mm, and the internet, is that guys have been (mis)- lead to believe it is like a 41mag..TOTAL NONSENSE!!!

The 10mm is not even as powerful as the 357 mag. And you will get less penitration with the 10mm (.40cal) because of the larger (than .357) bullet.

The 10mm= a 180gr bullet at a little less than 1200fps

The 357mag= a 180gr bullet at over 1400fps

The 41mag= a 210gr bullet at over 1600fps or a 265gr (Cast) at over 1500fps

Then someone always has to mention...the huge capacity of the 10mm magazine. This is "Spray-&-Pray at best.

All the while forgeting that a bear traveling at 40MPH is going 58feet per/second. If you start at 20 yards, this gives you less than 1 second to react, draw, and fire before it is too late....NO WAY is the 15rnd mag applicable.

So at 40yards you will have a full 2 seconds...but 40yards is probly a distance outside of what most game wardens will consider an "eminent threat". If you have time to pump 10 or 15 rounds into the grizzly with your Glock,,,you will probly be looking at some serious explaning, a huge fine and possible jail time. And none of those 15 rounds are going to shoot length wise of a large bear. "Stem-to-Stern" is the best option for dangerous game.

ANY gun is better than no gun....but the 44mag should be considered minimum. Since we will only get a couple shots, penitration and accuracy are our best hope. The heavy bullets that will enter the jaw bone and exit the tail of a bear are our best chance to survive a true attack.

Last edited:
Freedom, You are correct the 10 is no .41 mag. But the .41 needs at min a 6" barrel to do much meaningful over the 10. Pressure specs (10 has slight advantage) and diameter are near the same, case capacity is what the .41 has. Plus ability to use heavier cast bullets.

I have a model 57 .41 with an 8-3/8" barrel and it needs it to burn lots of slow 296/H110 powder. In my glock 20 4.6" I safely chrono avg 1315 with a 180 xtp using longshot or AA9. It chronos 1400+ with the 6" barrel. In anything less than 6" barrels they are close because the .41 can't burn all the powder. Same goes for the 10 in reverse. Past 6" and it can't hold enough (slow) powder.

The 10 is watered down with factory loads except some specialty loaders. As far as grizz go and stopping one I wouldn't want either except for the bang maybe. A big rifle or slug is the only way.

Just posting my handloading experience with both. If I was hunting grizz with a rifle backup I'd choose my heavier .41 or .44. But the 10 carries nice when bow hunting western Idaho.

I have a 10mm and really like it, but it is not the powerhouse it is made out to be.

The sad thing about the 10mm, and the internet, is that guys have been (mis)- lead to believe it is like a 41mag..TOTAL NONSENSE!!!

The 10mm is not even as powerful as the 357 mag. And you will get less penitration with the 10mm (.40cal) because of the larger (than .357) bullet.

The 10mm= a 180gr bullet at a little less than 1200fps

The 357mag= a 180gr bullet at over 1400fps

The 41mag= a 210gr bullet at over 1600fps or a 265gr (Cast) at over 1500fps

Then someone always has to mention...the huge capacity of the 10mm magazine. This is "Spray-&-Pray at best.

All the while forgeting that a bear traveling at 40MPH is going 58feet per/second. If you start at 20 yards, this gives you less than 1 second to react, draw, and fire before it is too late....NO WAY is the 15rnd mag applicable.

So at 40yards you will have a full 2 seconds...but 40yards is probly a distance outside of what most game wardens will consider an "eminent threat". If you have time to pump 10 or 15 rounds into the grizzly with your Glock,,,you will probly be looking at some serious explaning, a huge fine and possible jail time. And none of those 15 rounds are going to shoot length wise of a large bear. "Stem-to-Stern" is the best option for dangerous game.

ANY gun is better than no gun....but the 44mag should be considered minimum. Since we will only get a couple shots, penitration and accuracy are our best hope. The heavy bullets that will enter the jaw bone and exit the tail of a bear are our best chance to survive a true attack.

well said,you can make a bear killer out of a 22 mag pistole,but remember your life is hanging in the ballance,and a little bit more weight to carry is better than loosing your life,and becoming a diner to a 1000 pound grizz coming at you like a freighttrain.:hump:

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back