Glacier Park vist

M

MN Public Hunter

My wife and I just planned a vacation to Glacier this year in July and I'm wondering if the anyone has any do's and don't while there, anything special going on in July in the area(festivals....). I of course will bring my 10x42, but is it worth me dragging along my spotter and tripod on the plane? We have to take the plane and rent a car due to time constraints, or I would not even ask :)

We did pick up a book and it has some good ideas in it based on area of the park by zones. We will be flying into Missoula and then staying in Kalispell. Looking for anything from where to eat, things to see, what parts to avoid due to the fires...etc.etc. All thoughts and ideas are welcome. We will stay the last night in Missoula close to the RMEF I believe so anything in Missoula would be welcome as well.

Thanks!

If you stay there at the end of your trip, do plan on an hour or two at the RMEF headquarters, as it's worth the time. I've not made it up to Glacier yet, so can't help you on that.

I will send you some thoughts on Glacier tonight. Just you and the wife? Do you have a passport?

If it is dinner time around Columbia Falls, I would recommend The Back Room. Can't help much with Glacier but half the fun of traveling is the food, right?

We were there in September during the fires. Will go back through our notes. Hopefully Sytes will chime in as he is a wealth of knowledge; at least he was for us.

Hit the testical festival first week of august so hit it on way home....lol

Going to the Sun Road is busy and touristy, but the views are awesome and totally worth it. The same goes for Avalanche Lake and Hidden Lake. Both are short, easy hikes that get lots of traffic, but both are worth it. Tons of mountain goats on the Hidden Lake trail.

After hitting these up, I would spend the bulk of my time on the east side. Many Glacier is my favorite area, with lots of good hikes like Cracker Lake and Iceberg Lake. Two Medicine is also good.

On the drive up or on the way back you could hit up the National Bison Range to see some bison, elk and antelope.

There should be lots of fruit stands selling flathead cherries if you come a little later in August. Flathead Lake has tons of orchards, particularly on the east side of the lake. Stop at a few of these stands and get an assortment of cherries. Too early for cherries? No problem. Do the touristy thing and get a huckleberry shake.

Food in Kalispell? Pizza at Moose's Saloon or Tamarack Brewing in Lakeside.

In Missoula you can hit up RMEF and B&C. There are tons of great breweries in Missoula if you are a beer drinker. Big Sky and Missoula Brewing are both on the north side of town and close to where you'll be staying. If you don't mind the crowds, go downtown and get ice cream at the Big Dipper or great BBQ at the Notorious PIG. Hike the "M" at the university, or hike trails in the Rattlesnake, Pattee Canyon or Blue Mountain recreation areas if you aren't already hiked out from Glacier. You'll have plenty of company in all of these spots, as they are close to town.

Last edited:
So I make about half a dozen trips to GNP each year and alternate YNP and GNP for a week in the summer each year. GNP is my second favorite place on the planet, YNP being one.

1. Bring your spotter for sure.Goats and sheep may not be near trails and bears might be on mountainside. Pick up a phoneskope if you haven't already.
2. Going to the Sun Rd: I would highly recommend against driving it for two reasons: the tram will take you up for free or you can pay a boat load of money and a jammer can drive you.
And two, the parking at the top is notorious for being full and hard to find a place. Just not worth it. IF you drive, download the Gypsy Guide and listen to it as it takes you through the park.
3. Must hike: Avalanche Creek and Hidden Lake Overlook, ST Mary's Falls. Grinnell Glacier if you have time, the rest of them if you can too.
4. Bear Spray: Just get it.
5. PoleBridge Bakery: West side of park, worth the drive.
6. Flyfishing: Some places you can't fish, but easy to find the ones you can. Water is crystal clear if it doesn't have glacier flour in it.
7: Many Glacier: do the boat ride and hike back. This is where you will see the most animals too.
8. Issac Walton Inn: By far the best food around. Forget the places in the park, overpriced.
9: Lake MacDonald Inn and Many Glacier Inn: take some time for the tours and look around. Great History
10: Backcountry Chalets: challenging hikes I would think because of altitude but worth it. Sperry Chalet burned this year, which highlights just how fragile and temporal things are.
11: Ranger Talks at night: get a schedule and find the ones you want, these guys know what they are talking about and
12: PM me and find me when you get to Missoula, I'll let you buy me a beer for all the knowledge I just dropped.

I'm happy to discuss via PM, as have lived next to GNP for 25+ years, written about it, hiked and camped all over it.
+1 to spotter and phone-camera adapter.
Fire season varies but July should be good. Frontcountry will be busy.
Do you like to hike? What level?
Do you like to fish? Boat?
How interested are you in avoiding crowds?
Glacier offers both fairly open, alpine country as well as dark timber/big lakes kind of akin to Minnesota. Preference?

Also forgot to ask if you fly fish. If so, maybe spend an extra day or two in the Missoula area.

Only 1 day in Missoula, so that will have to wait until next time. Thanks for the idea though.

So I make about half a dozen trips to GNP each year and alternate YNP and GNP for a week in the summer each year. GNP is my second favorite place on the planet, YNP being one.

1. Bring your spotter for sure.Goats and sheep may not be near trails and bears might be on mountainside. Pick up a phoneskope if you haven't already.
2. Going to the Sun Rd: I would highly recommend against driving it for two reasons: the tram will take you up for free or you can pay a boat load of money and a jammer can drive you.
And two, the parking at the top is notorious for being full and hard to find a place. Just not worth it. IF you drive, download the Gypsy Guide and listen to it as it takes you through the park.
3. Must hike: Avalanche Creek and Hidden Lake Overlook, ST Mary's Falls. Grinnell Glacier if you have time, the rest of them if you can too.
4. Bear Spray: Just get it.
5. PoleBridge Bakery: West side of park, worth the drive.
6. Flyfishing: Some places you can't fish, but easy to find the ones you can. Water is crystal clear if it doesn't have glacier flour in it.
7: Many Glacier: do the boat ride and hike back. This is where you will see the most animals too.
8. Issac Walton Inn: By far the best food around. Forget the places in the park, overpriced.
9: Lake MacDonald Inn and Many Glacier Inn: take some time for the tours and look around. Great History
10: Backcountry Chalets: challenging hikes I would think because of altitude but worth it. Sperry Chalet burned this year, which highlights just how fragile and temporal things are.
11: Ranger Talks at night: get a schedule and find the ones you want, these guys know what they are talking about and
12: PM me and find me when you get to Missoula, I'll let you buy me a beer for all the knowledge I just dropped.

Wow, thanks for all the ideas, I'll have to weed though all of these with the boss :)

I'm happy to discuss via PM, as have lived next to GNP for 25+ years, written about it, hiked and camped all over it.
+1 to spotter and phone-camera adapter.
Fire season varies but July should be good. Frontcountry will be busy.
Do you like to hike? What level?
Do you like to fish? Boat?
How interested are you in avoiding crowds?
Glacier offers both fairly open, alpine country as well as dark timber/big lakes kind of akin to Minnesota. Preference?

Hike yes, want to stay under 4 hours round trip. Low to medium level.
We thought about the fishing for part of a day of full.
We are moderately interesting is avoiding crowds, we just know it will be pretty busy not matter where we go.
We are open to any type of areas as long as it's not too hard to get to, wife has fibromyalgia so we can only go so hard and so long for a day.

Thanks Ben !

I will second visiting Pole Bridge. One of the coolest towns I have ever visited.

took my wife a couple years ago and got great advise from this forum as you have. Rent a convertible ; hit the road N to Waterford Canada after you finish in the US, get reservations for the ''tea'' at Prince of Wales Hotel (score major points with the wife), take an ultra-lite spinning rod if you like to fish; great burgers at Two Sisters Cafe ? @ Saint Mary. Return back to Missoula down the E side of the park, pull in to Two Medicine Lake and take the boat ride. X2 on the cherry stands around Kalispell.. do as many hikes as you can, you'll regret you didn't do more.. Beautiful country for sure!

Back