Getting started reloading pointers

RCBS also has a great Youtube channel.

+1 on stuck case puller. Everyone sticks one and usually at the worst possible time. Having the right tool is the best way to get the case out without scratching up the die.

Have extra de-capping pins on hand all the time.

Cleaning brass -
Tumbling is cheap. I tumble before I start, then after I size. This prevents scratched dies. I also wear cotton gloves after my last tumble. The gloves will turn greenish gray over time, but they are keeping your skin oil of the brass.

Lubing -
If you get dimples around the shoulder of the case, you are using too much. The cases are still safe to use. The dimples will fireform out.
Do not forget to lube the inside of the case for bottle necked cartridges. This prolongs case life and makes the upstoke of the ram easier and quieter.

Trimming matters. -
You need a way to measure cases. At least keep them below the published trim length. If you are looking for precision, trim them carefully all the same. ( I then sort them by weight, too)
Trim AFTER you re-size. I use the Hornady cam lock trimmer for some things and RCBS trim to length hardened filing dies for others. If you use the trim does, don't forget to lube!

Crimping -
Just because your bullets have a cannelure, don't feel you need to crimp, especially in bolt action rifles. You find lead secanted (tipped) bullets take a heck of beating in the magazine, but the bullets rarely change seating depth.
The cannelure is very likely not placed at the actual best location for your rifle's desired seating depth. The exception to this is loads for dangerous game, which I feel should always be crimped.

Powder selection -
Google "smokeless powder burn rate chart." There are several out there, but I usually download the Hodgdon color coded one at least twice a year and keep it handy. Western Powders has a good one as well.

Cool add ons -
There are things you don't HAVE to have, but I really find make my ammo better.

L.E. Wilson Headspace/Case gages - check your re-sized cases and finished ammo with these. If they fit in the gage, they will fit in a SAAMI spec dimension chamber. This allows you to check your ammo safely without running it through the firearm.
They are super when you need to figure out why a load has chambering issues.
Lee Factory Crimp Dies - If you are using a crimp, these are the way to go. They are crazy cheap. They squeeze the crimp in without putting any downward force on the case. This prevents many case deformations that lead to feeding issues.
C.O.A.L. measuring system. - Hornady's modified case system seems good. I do the same thing with an old case and a cleaning rod.
Flash vent de-burring tool - I like the RCBS one. You buy the tool once and then the pilots you need. You only need to do each case once for it's entire life.

For me, I bought a cheap digital scale from Hornady, piece of junk. Either buy a quality digital scale, like $100+, or stick with a beam scale.

Oh and never forget the calipers. I use them all the time to confirm my case sizes and seating depths
I also have 2 cheep scales that along with 2 sets of cheep digital calipers that never get used . Still using my beam scale because i don't trust the others. I have a wish list on my reloading bench and im pretty sure they will always be something on there

Would highly recommend looking at the Forster coax press as it’s a bit pricey for an initial press but it has a great built in primer installer, makes straight ammo due to its floating design and die swaps are as easy as they come. +3 on a quality scale as this is something that a lot of people end up upgrading quickly and it would be best imo to just put that $50 towards a quality unit. Check out igaging for A quality electronic caliper at a very decent price and don’t shy from Lee dies just because they’re cheap as they’re made in Wisconsin and their neck-collet dies require no lube and make very good ammo (assuming you’re using in only one gun). The Berger, Lyman and Hornady manuals are all worth adding To your library. Have fun!

Would highly recommend looking at the Forster coax press as it’s a bit pricey for an initial press but it has a great built in primer installer, makes straight ammo due to its floating design and die swaps are as easy as they come. +3 on a quality scale as this is something that a lot of people end up upgrading quickly and it would be best imo to just put that $50 towards a quality unit. Check out igaging for A quality electronic caliper at a very decent price and don’t shy from Lee dies just because they’re cheap as they’re made in Wisconsin and their neck-collet dies require no lube and make very good ammo (assuming you’re using in only one gun). The Berger, Lyman and Hornady manuals are all worth adding To your library. Have fun!
If the op is looking at spending that much i agree. If i was brand new and diving all in my top two I'd be researching would be the Forster and the mec

I use the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) approach to reloading.

I load for many different pistol & rifle cartridges.
Having a single stage press for semi auto pistol reloading just doesn't cut it for me.
But a progressive on my rifle cartridges isn't ideal for me either.
So i got one press.
Lee 4 hole turret.

Inexpensive, sturdy enough to do some mild forming if you want, fairly quick for reloading pistol, can manual index for rifle cartridges, and i can go from pistol to rifle or vice versa in literally seconds.

Do NOT buy the Hornady Compatarer!
If you do you will be the next one to start a thread with "my measurements are wrong"!

Lube on a Q-Tip works well. Wipe inside & outside of neck, and case body avoiding the shoulder.

Do get a bullet puller!
RCBS collet puller works well with the press, or the hammer inertia type.

While i love & use Nosler components, the Nosler reloading manual i consider engineered fiction and don't use.

I use the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) approach to reloading.

I load for many different pistol & rifle cartridges.
Having a single stage press for semi auto pistol reloading just doesn't cut it for me.
But a progressive on my rifle cartridges isn't ideal for me either.
So i got one press.
Lee 4 hole turret.

Inexpensive, sturdy enough to do some mild forming if you want, fairly quick for reloading pistol, can manual index for rifle cartridges, and i can go from pistol to rifle or vice versa in literally seconds.

Do NOT buy the Hornady Compatarer!
If you do you will be the next one to start a thread with "my measurements are wrong"!

Lube on a Q-Tip works well. Wipe inside & outside of neck, and case body avoiding the shoulder.

Do get a bullet puller!
RCBS collet puller works well with the press, or the hammer inertia type.

While i love & use Nosler components, the Nosler reloading manual i consider engineered fiction and don't use.
+1 on the Lee manual turret press.

I disagree with std7mag on the usefulness of comparator. When used for the right purposes they are invaluable to consistent reloading.

I also would skip the hammer bullet puller they are a huge pain in the butt. Go with a press puller.

I don't think Sweden has a NFL team. ;)

Copenhagen is in Denmark. I'm sure you wouldn't have mixed it up if it was Green Bay ;)

All good posts above. Vikingsguy (even though he seems dumb with his choice of NFL teams) does a good job of putting together those links every time someone asks. If I were you I'd search through the forum and read every beginning reloading post as many of us have said the same thing as you. There's a ton of good pointers out there.

As for me, I have a Lee Challenger starter kit with some Lee and Hornady dies. My favorite dies that I've used are the Hornady and I believe that they still give out free bullets with the purchase, which would be perfect for anyone starting reloading to send more rounds down range. I use Imperial sizing wax and it works really well. The two tools that save me a ton of time and make more uniform brass are a a Lyman chamfer/deburr tool and the Lee cutter and lock stud trimming sets for each caliber. In my opinion, you're going to make just as good of ammo no matter what dies or press you have (at least in the beginning), but if you can get a few things to help with brass prep you'll save a bunch of time and make more drastic accuracy improvements.

Worth every penny. Saves me a ton of time.

Copenhagen is in Denmark. I'm sure you wouldn't have mixed it up if it was Green Bay ;)

Now that is embarrassing - whatever shred of credibility I may have retained on HT is now gone :) (I will spare you all the feeble attempts to explain that I am normally really could with geography, that I have actually been there or that somehow autocorrect is to blame).

Question for you guys, how many of you are crimping your standard rifle cartridges for a bolt action rifle? I have only ever crimped my 44mag loads for my revolver.

Question for you guys, how many of you are crimping your standard rifle cartridges for a bolt action rifle? I have only ever crimped my 44mag loads for my revolver.
Nope. Crimp first my revolver rounds. None of my rifle rounds have been crimped so far.

For my own rifles I don't crimp. For my Dad and brothers who shoot far less? If there's a crimp ring I'll use it.

My reasoning is that since they are more typical "shoot a few times before deer season to check if it's on" kind of people, those loads could be banging around in a truck for several years before they shoot them all.

We shoot 30-06, so it's probably not necessary with a nice, long neck on the brass, but to me it's better safe than sorry.

For my bolt rifles, no.
For my uncle & neighbor using pump & semi autos, yes.
Also crimp for mono bullets.
These work fine if you aren't the last S in your KISS system. mtmuley
Yes, sometimes i am that last "S".
As we all are at one point in time.

Get something small like a .223 or whatever and mess around with that for 300, 400, 500 rounds... Will be cheaper to learn the entire process with less powder, cheaper bullets, etc. After you reload a couple hundred rounds, or more, you should learn quite a bit and get better at it. I got into reloading for my .300 Win Mag and wish I had started on a small cartridge first.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back