Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Getting my Father-in-Law his first Elk, Game plan advice

Jonathan.Hammer

Hey everyone!
After 4 years I finally got my first elk in NM! It was awesome, but I am not planning next year. My goal for this year is to help get my father-in-law his first elk. I owe him a lot and he is currently 0-3. Harvesting a bull elk (any kind) is at the top of his bucket list.

Big Picture Plan:
1) Apply for New Mexico
But if that doesn't work out I am trying to decide whether to take him to ID or CO.
I am narrowed it down to ID Unit 29 (I know a guy that is willing to help guide us) or maybe CO Unit 81?

ID: Farther drive so less hunting time and higher gas costs, I think the terrain will be harder too
CO: Season ends a little earlier, no grizzlies :)

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated! I hope everyone had a great season!
-Hammer

I'd take the longer drive for a hunt with someone who knows the area if success is your goal. Not so sure the terrain will be much tougher than what we have here in Co.

Archery or rifle? The unit you looked at in Idaho is general only for archery.

I would recommend Colorado because I think it's just as good as Idaho or better and closer. They do have more elk. Both are pretty crowded for general hunts.

A rifle hunt would probably be higher odds for success.

Archery or rifle? The unit you looked at in Idaho is general only for archery.

I would recommend Colorado because I think it's just as good as Idaho or better and closer. They do have more elk. Both are pretty crowded for general hunts.

A rifle hunt would probably be higher odds for success.

Idhikker,
He is up for either. I think he wants to hear some bugling bulls so i think archery gets the edge.

BigJay73, thats my biggest pull to ID, but we lose 2 days of hunting and all i keep hearing is that the terrain is steep and nasty, which worries me some.

You can hunt bugling bulls with a rifle in Western Wyoming on a General tag.

I hadnt looked there, because I a super unfamiliar with the area. Any particular area I research? Are they wilderness areas?

You can find non wilderness general units in the 2-3 years it takes to get enough points to draw for sure. Taking a longer view...

Or you could pay 10K for a Tejon Ranch Management bull hunt in Southern CA. Qualifies as Fair chase too...

But seriously, the better success rates are gonna come from points, paying or persistence. If you can find a general unit you can hunt every year and know it like the back of your hand, you will always have better success than a good unit you don't know.

Going in blind, I'd probably choose Colorado over Idaho and try to get some boots on the ground before the season.

You can find non wilderness general units in the 2-3 years it takes to get enough points to draw for sure. Taking a longer view...

Or you could pay 10K for a Tejon Ranch Management bull hunt in Southern CA. Qualifies as Fair chase too...

But seriously, the better success rates are gonna come from points, paying or persistence. If you can find a general unit you can hunt every year and know it like the back of your hand, you will always have better success than a good unit you don't know.

Going in blind, I'd probably choose Colorado over Idaho and try to get some boots on the ground before the season.

Good advice. I plan to buy point in WY this year for elk and pronghorn....government doesnt pay me enough to spend that kind of money on a hunt (active duty air force). Im beginning to lean that way as well if I dont draw NM.

I would ask more questions to your idaho guy. How successful is he? Is he an actual guide or just a DIY'er? What does he do if the elk aren't where he is used to seeing them (sit around and wait? Have other areas to look? Pull the plug and go home? Make calls to other hunters?) Would it be a drop type camp? Pack animals? ATVs? Just him or another guy or two he is also "guiding"?

Depending on these answers and those to whatever other questions thay might arise, it should help you decide.

Or just flip a coin....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back