Yeti GOBOX Collection

Getting active in conservation

Hobbs

I have been what I would call a quasi-passive member in the conservation side of our would for awhile now. I’m a member of several organizations and follow state politics and converse to my Representative when I come across legislations that effect sportsman and sportswomen. I am curious if there are any other ways I could become a more active member in the conservation community. Any advice or direction would be a great help. Stay safe, stay healthy and god bless.

You sound pretty in tune already. My only suggestion would be to join a group that is active doing projects on the land that helps wildlife. Money is nice, calling representatives is good, but hands on is critical as well.

1. Get more involved with one conservation group: volunteer positions or elected; find where they are at work and join that;
2. Contact your state for citizen participation groups you may be able to sit on or join.
3. Cotnact local biologists and shadow them for a day or special project. Learn what real needs there are on the ground.
4. Read. Many good books out there that can show you some history of wildlife conservation or current topics and trends to be aware of.
5. Follow some biollogists on social media to see what they are about.

If time is tight, membership w/ valued conservation organizations go a long way. Supporting those w/ time via membership, etc $ support w/in an organization is equivalent to time spent in the field (though getting out there is enjoyable and often eye opening). If you're able to assist an organization who has a drive towards public land, conservation, youth, and a focus on your favored wildlife, that's all one can ask for.

Avoid those organizations clouded with controversial political pandering, stick w/ a select organization vs spreading the $ / time over several and enjoy the banquets, support the sponsors, jump in on the auctions, toss friends and family starter memberships. Open eyes to public land and multi use (not a boots only approach - IMHO).

It's great to see more involved w/ conservation organizations, especially in times such as these where conservation sometimes takes backseat to other major issues.

Best to you!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back