Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Getting a start in Wyoming

wm burwell

I know the rules of Wyoming, if you are a non resident you need a guide to hunt wilderness. I am a non resident who lives in NC. Its a little difficult to run out to Wyoming to scout for elk. What I'm looking for is a national forest to start to research with good access and decent numbers of elk. Willing to get off the beaten path. I know there are areas like this in Wyoming, but having a hard time pin pointing an area. More interested in areas for bow hunting. Any help or nudge in the right direction would be appreciated. Not looking for your honey hole. Just a place to start. Thanks for any help.

I recommend starting with a list of all Wyoming elk units that have a decent amount of NF land..

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/imgs/QRDocs/WGFD14_ELK_SUMMAP.pdf

If you are going with a General Tag, cross out all Limited Quota areas. There are a few units that are almost completely wilderness, might as well cross these out as well unless there is enough accessible public land to hunt around the wilderness boundary.

Then, check harvest data on the units you are still considering..

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/hunting-1001530.aspx

Some areas will begin to stand out from others. Pick one you like and go hunting.

Most any unit in Wyoming that has national forest lands will meet your requirement of "good access and decent numbers of elk." Get a map of the national forests and you can then compare that to the elk units. Pick a spot and go. You won't regret it.

Good luck.

Wyoming

Take a look at DIY hunting maps. Pick wyoming and elk. When you pick a region you can then pick a unit to look at. There will be boxes full of info. Draw data, harvest data, size of unit, if it's general, combined with any other units, roads per sq mile, ruggedness. Probably the easiest and fastest way to gather general info and do quick comparison between units. You can also get the unit # for deer for the same area. Wyoming does not use the same unit number for an area for elk , deer, lope ect.. They all have a different #. Hope it helps. Any other questions feel free to pm me.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back